It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s 10 Most Threatened Forests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I think we need to get serious about this NOW. Please invest a few minutes of your time reading this information and check those scary numbers at the end. Thanks in advance.

Extract :

Forests cover only 30 percent of our planet’s land area, yet they are home to 80 percent of the world’s terrestrial biodiversity. They also sustain the livelihoods of 1.6 billion people, who directly depend on healthy forests for income. The trees, flowers, animals and microorganisms found in forests form a complex web of life; their interactions sustain some of our most basic needs, like clean air, healthy soils, medicines, crop pollination and fresh water.

Here’s our ranking of the world’s 10 most threatened forested hotspots, listed by percentage of remaining original habitat:

Hotspot Remaining habitat
1 Indo-Burma (southern Asia) 5%
2 New Caledonia (Pacific Islands) 5%
3 Sundaland (Indonesia/Malaysia) 7%
4 Philippines 7%
5 Atlantic Forest (South America) 8%
6 Mountains of Southwest China 8%
7 California Floristic Province (U.S. and Mexico) 10%
8 Coastal Forests of Eastern Africa 10%
9 Madagascar & Indian Ocean Islands 10%
10 Eastern Afromontane (Africa) 11%

Link : blog.conservation.org...

[Mod Edit - include external source tags]

Mod Note: Please review Tag For Quoting External Sources

edit on 6/2/2011 by Sauron because: include ex tags

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
There was a horse named maresy .
She lived in a field with a bunch of other horses .one day she noticed the grass was starting to run out so she tryed telling all the other horses that they need to conserve the grass taht was left so no one horse would go hungry .
but all the other horses just went on eating as much grass as they could.
Now how was maresy going to help with this dilima ? if she stoped eating grass she would starve and it wouldnt be enough to make a difference the other horses would run out as well still eventaly.
but if she countunied eating grass she would starve along with the rest of the horses anyway.
we humans are the same as horse maresy You sir will contune using your car your computer your cell phone your shower to what every leave you want and so will i.
and sooner or later we will run out but in the meen time you posted this thread and they cut down another forest to make your computer .

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Deforestation can contribute to watershed losses which can mean less water within reservoirs... it has been suggested that deforestation can contribute to floods. It's obvious that we need to conserve land better, perhaps shifting to more efficient farming...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Very nice comments, thanks for that story.

I try not to be one of those horses.

- My mobil phone is an old model, I won't buy a new one just to have new cool apps.
- We don't have plasma tvs at home, we got 3 regular ones perfectly working.
- My monitor is an ol' svga, works like a charm so no need to replace it.
- We re-use all groceries plastic bags for garbage.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Thank you for the info. S & F. It is very scary, deforestation that is... 90-95% of all the wooded places I would play in as a kid are now gone in my town... houses now stand there, and a sewer treatment plant in one wetland area as well. I fear desolate lands in the future, as we can only use and abuse so much before it all collapses... the planets Eco-systems that is... and perhaps we are already seeing the signs of that collapse.

Besides the cutting of trees, our want for special wood and importing has lead to the mass die off of the American Chestnut Tree due to Chestnut Blight.

We will never have chestnut like we did in 1900, at least not in the next few hundred years.

Then there is oak wilt which is also effecting much of the oak tree populations in areas.... As well as imported invasive insect and plant species... I'm personally thinking that 'mass die offs' will be including trees and plants in the near future. I hope I'm wrong...
edit on 5-2-2011 by ForestForager because: corrected spelling

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Jeesus! They dont even mention the Nazco....
It is the largest clear cu in the world...its sits west of the town of quesnel british columbia. canada.
This clear cut slash is so large it can be seen fron space.
The pine bark beetles and other pests are playing absolute havock in the boreal forests of North America.
Every different type of forest flora is under attack from some bug or other.
I could name then all but it makes no difference.
Do not by any means feel smug about the health of those limitless forests out there.
Faacts is many doriegn pests like the japanese bark beetles, are not native to here, and have no natural enemies of species which may help keep them in check.
With the warmer winters that have been experienced in the North west,these bugs have not suffered the die off due to cold, that at one time was stopping them from speading too swiftly.
We have big problems in our own woods people.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Must be # 11. Otherwise, imagine how worse is the situation in the other forests to make exclude your area from this list.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ForestForager

Thanks for adding that info. I also made a thread about this problem, maybe you want to take a look.

"Trees dying off"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
only 3 tvs you say? I immange you do use heat and air?have more then one (car,truck)
me well at this time i have 1 tv no car and just a generic brand cell with no apps.
heck i am almost live in the 1900 compared to most lol.
But and this is a BIG but again I am no different then you.
when you take more out of a system then you put in that is what gets forest cut down and dead zones in the oceans.
the closest thing to living with in natures ability to renew hasn't been done anywhere for 300 years now.
want a world for our kids tomorrow we would have to give up the TV totaly .
If i took the raw materials needed to make your (my) tv you would have a few tonns of stuff.
copper from the open pit mine that has denuded EVERY tree EVERY plant EVERY drop of water for MILES .
look um up www.fotosearch.com...
if this link works look at the photo titled butte Montana That my friend is what we do to get your tv air heat car wiring .
heck the only thing in our homes that is a easily renewable resource is the WOOD and that is being replaces as fast as we can.
just a watch you have on your arm will destroy MORE land area then You personally could EVER recover . And no i wont go any lower then i am now and am trying hard to get taht car back geta better computer and nicer place to live .
and no you wont stop using your stuff eather .
But we will hold -plastic signs saying save the whales wile our farm run off kills the oceans

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Thanks again for your comments, regardless if we agree or not, is actually an strong and well supported point of view.

I do believe the only group of people in USA that can raise their hands and say "I'm innocent", are the amish. And they use lots of wood.

new topics

top topics

join