It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Colbert explains god of the gaps

page: 6
20
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
since you edited your flawed and olive branch of a response out of embarrassment or fear of not looking "cool" in front of your so called friends... I will give you but another perspective.


Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact
 


Again, nothing of that contradicts the big bang theory, or the multiverse hypothesis.

Interesting link though


a "theory" and "hypothesis" are just that... they are not "Law" or "laws" which offer foundation through establishment of "fact"


edit on 2/7/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)


The post is edited because I ADDED a video, not because I redacted something...but keep spinning


And in science, you can't express everything with laws...which doesn't mean your definition of "scientific theory" isn't seriously flawed.

Here's why your statements are complete hogwash: LINK
edit on 7-2-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
the big bang is only a theory, it is not "law" and is being abandoned because it can not be rationalized

Very ironic that you mentioned Hubble's law just a few posts ago. If Hubble's law "has been establish and is ground to stand (your words)" then this means that also Big Bang has been established.

Hubble's "law" has indeed been established... but the big-bang still can not be rationalized in a universal explanation beyond... all matter was "created" out of the nothingness all at the same time.

crap we don't even have another word to try to explain it... even in the mulitverse hypothesis.

how are these multiverses "created" ? with an LHC



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact
 


Again with the ridiculous "created something out of nothing" statement. The big bang theory makes no statements regarding what was before the big bang, just like evolution makes no statement regarding how life started. The multiverse hypothesis doesn't contradict the big bang theory



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
The post is edited because I ADDED a video, not because I redacted something...but keep spinning


And in science, you can't express everything with laws...which doesn't mean your definition of "scientific theory" isn't seriously flawed.

Here's why your statements are complete hogwash:


Spiritualities "Law" can be expressed by and within the "laws" that we all live in and under... universal established law, the basis of humanity and civilization.

God's Laws



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact
 


Again with the ridiculous "created something out of nothing" statement. The big bang theory makes no statements regarding what was before the big bang, just like evolution makes no statement regarding how life started. The multiverse hypothesis doesn't contradict the big bang theory


came into existence, created, whatever...

for lack of a better word or symbols to describe it


it is still only trying to express the same thing, heh!

bye bye for now...



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact
 





Spiritualities "Law" can be expressed by and within the "laws" that we all live in and under... universal established law, the basis of humanity and civilization.

God's Laws


Which god? Thor? Allah? Christian god? The mighty Glugluglu jungle god??




came into existence, created, whatever...


Not whatever, being specific is important in science. You can't just make stuff up and loosely describe it, or dumb everything down to "god did it"



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
how are these multiverses "created" ? with an LHC

Or maybe something much more logical, like a being that doesn't like if we use condoms or believe into other beings, created it? Yeah this makes so much more sense man! Also it's completely logical that this being, certainly the most complex thing ever doesn't even need a beginning. It's so logical that it has just always existed because it makes so much more sense so that it can spy on us and send the naughty to this other being that lives in some fire place where it tortures people who didn't believe into the other being. Man you're certainly onto something even thou all the evidence points to something completely different, and nothing points to the magic being but whatever



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros
 


"Something coming from nothing is impossible!"

Oh how funny that statement is given that they claim god came first...right after claiming NOTHING can come from nothing



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

Also super logical that this being created us like 6000 years ago, but then made it seem as if our existence has completely natural history (Big Bang, Star formation, Evolution, etc.) to it. After this the being erased all evidence of it ever being around. Of course it's also very logical that if we make our mind based on the evidence, then we're punished with eternal torture. Just so logical



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
double
edit on 7-2-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
hold on here just a second... we are talking about science and spirituality... if you can not understand the difference and follow a conversation then what really do you have to offer ? I will not even quote the rest of your response here because your logic and understanding is flawed at the source. But my personal religion happens to be the sect of Heavy Metal.


Well, if you believe that religion and spirituality are one in the same, or even on the same page of discussion, then we're both are VERY different ends of the spectrum.

I despise all religions as they are nothing more than a form of control, unique to the various regions of the earth at times when people understood very little of the world around them. Common mythos and superstitious beliefs became a basis for controlling scared, uneducated people. Really, it comes down to people wanting power and what better way to gain power than to control the minds of others and have them believe...whatever you want them to believe?

Spirituality, on the other hand, has nothing whatsoever to do with man-made religions. In my opinion, it's an intrinsic part of all human beings, religious or not. And whether one believes in God, Allah, Buddha or whoever - spirtuality is apart of all of us. Regardless of how much religious leaders or others try to market it as one in the same.

(and for the record, while I wouldn't say it's my personal religion per se, Heavy Metal is my preferred musical taste. Old school, early stuff.
)



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
I despise all religions as they are nothing more than a form of control, unique to the various regions of the earth at times when people understood very little of the world around them.

I disagree. Many religions (perhaps most) don't even have concepts of afterlife. If there's no surveillance camera in the sky, and no rewards and punishments, there's not much that you can control with. Read for example about Taoism. More than anything it's a way of life. A philosophy of sort (like pacifism). Abrahamic religions (some of their followers) give the word religion such a bad tone, but there's so much more to religion than their petty little world.



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Why witness testimonies are useless in science:



He uses UFOs as an example, but makes a really good point explaining why human perception is flawed and why witness accounts are hogwash in science.



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by uva3021
In a few years, once scientists create a self-replicating entity out of nothing but a raw concentration of C, H, O, and N, the god-fearing will have exhausted their supply of barnacles.


I bet you all the tea in China they think up some new barnacles, they have a lot of money and prestige at stake, you think they're gona give it all up without a fight just because they're wrong.



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
I disagree. Many religions (perhaps most) don't even have concepts of afterlife. If there's no surveillance camera in the sky, and no rewards and punishments, there's not much that you can control with. Read for example about Taoism. More than anything it's a way of life. A philosophy of sort (like pacifism). Abrahamic religions (some of their followers) give the word religion such a bad tone, but there's so much more to religion than their petty little world.


But isn't the concept of Heaven & Hell one of the ideals of modern Christian teachings? And doesn't Islam speak of rewards in Heaven?

It's those sort of concepts that turn me away from every form of organised religion.

However I do very much enjoy Toasim and its philosophies and teachings. I personally do not consider it a religion - it's about human nature and our connection to the universe. WHich is what the appeal of it is for me - unlike the other two religions I mentioned, you're free to explore and develop your spirituality without the overhead of metaphysical rules and regulations "guiding" you based on fear of the unknown.

Toaism simply speaks of ideas and concepts of nature and balance and energy. To me, that's far more practical and realistic that any religion that says love in one hand, while telling you to strike out in the other.



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
hold on here just a second... we are talking about science and spirituality... if you can not understand the difference and follow a conversation then what really do you have to offer ? I will not even quote the rest of your response here because your logic and understanding is flawed at the source. But my personal religion happens to be the sect of Heavy Metal.


Well, if you believe that religion and spirituality are one in the same, or even on the same page of discussion, then we're both are VERY different ends of the spectrum.

hold on there another second...

you are the one bringing Christianity into the topic now, it is a very short topic so one can easily go back and read from page 1.

therefore the foundation on witch you stand and base the rest of your message is not worthy of a read, someone else might though




edit on 2/7/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
But isn't the concept of Heaven & Hell one of the ideals of modern Christian teachings? And doesn't Islam speak of rewards in Heaven?
well this all goes back very very far, I suggest you research the Sumerians, the Greek and yes the Judeo-Christian philosophies... you will discover that "it" is everything you know, you see, you smell and touch, unless you live under a rock somewhere... besides you are speaking "its" word too, some people call "it" western civilization.


It's those sort of concepts that turn me away from every form of organised religion.
yes Heavy Metal organized quite well... have you seen any of our large festivals and concerts, the mass hoards of infidels ?


However I do very much enjoy Taosim and its philosophies and teachings.
Taoism sucks, we ate that shyte for breakfast, absorbed it, and crapped out the waste....


I personally do not consider it a religion
your religion is whatever you want it to be, your "culture" or that which you have gravitated towards and speak happens to be Judeo-Christian... crap man your religion can be "not collecting stamps" for all I care



it's about human nature and our connection to the universe.
Om... I feel ya bro, nothing wrong with that... show some connection



edit on 2/7/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

However I do very much enjoy Taosim and its philosophies and teachings.
Taoism sucks, we ate that shyte for breakfast, absorbed it, and crapped it out....



Very mature


So which part of Taoism do you disagree with, and why is it worse than Judea-Christian religions?



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

However I do very much enjoy Taosim and its philosophies and teachings.
Taoism sucks, we ate that shyte for breakfast, absorbed it, and crapped it out....



Very mature


So which part of Taoism do you disagree with, and why is it worse than Judea-Christian religions?
I don't disagree with it, we ate it... and absorbed it just like I have said, then rid ourselves of the waste of it.

you are what you eat...



posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
what I really want to know is where our young Spok went... from a couple pages ago?

boy I got one for him/her which ever the case may be...



new topics

top topics



 
20
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

log in

join