It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert explains god of the gaps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The above video shows how just because you don't know something, god isn't the only logical answer. Not much to add apart from COLBERT ROCKS!!

For those who didn't know:

Tides explained
Moons of Mars explained

And that guy has his own show!! Clearly education is failing hard, and it's about time something is done about it.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This would be one of those times where I really miss the
emoticon of the late great BTS... Colbert deserves a million of them... I mean really, why do we need science and facts when we have religion and ancient books that explain EVERYTHING! And Sarah Palin, aka Caribou Barbie, came within a few percentage points of being second in line for the nuclear football thinks that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and that this kind of crap works:

Edit to add: HOLY CRAP! THE HAIL EMOTICON STILL WORKS!

edit on 5-2-2011 by JaxonRoberts because: to add the appropriate amount of 'hails' for the Cobertnator!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by JaxonRoberts

How was life created?

Still waiting for science to answer that one

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
and colbert knows all the answers. he traded his soul to the nwo for a million dollar paycheck and a pat on his head from his illuminati dog handlers.

i can't stand people who go out of their way to rag on God and try to change and confuse peoples beliefs out of pure evil. colbert knows the truth. all nwo shills know it. they choose worldly goods and false power over God.

all humans on earth know the truth. the only difference is that some peoples ability to comprehend and understand universal truth's are dormant.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

How was life created?

Still waiting for science to answer that one

How was "God" created?

Still waiting for any religion to explain that one.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I saw this the other night and thought it was really quite entertaining in that it really was not so much poking any fun at religion or "god" per se as much as it was just poking fun at some of the "dark ages" logic employed by some of those religions' and gods' mouthpieces in support of the very belief said espousal does more to scare away than attract with.

You will never convince me to give your "belief" a second look if you go on tv and promote it like a mentally challenged talking bird. I felt Colbert was just doing a really good job in taking solid note of a prominent example of exactly such.

Only took two posts for someone to rush in here, take it as an attack on their all powerful, all loving, all knowing god and defend him though. Religion does neat things to people.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Been there, done that... Quite some time ago... Abiogenesis

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Still not an explanation for how the Universe came into being either...except various theories.....i suppose thats just as much as a good question as how "God" came into being.

Did it actually "come" into being or has it always been there in some form or fashion........

Good question for both the idea of "God" and the "universe" seeing as how both are seen as the creators of everything we know, maybe they are one and the same
edit on 5-2-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Wait a minute, wait a minute, WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that bad man saying that Jesus doesn't drive the sun into the sky like natures little Corvette, every single morning??????

MOMMY LIED TO ME??????

~Heff

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I am sorry. Was I supposed to explain the origin of the universe or was Colbert? I did not realize that was supposed to be in either post. Did you watch the clip? Do you have an argument for what was said in it? Was there an origin of the universe claim in there that you feel comedy central or I need to clear up, back up, whatever? Maybe I got the topic of this thread wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Reply to post by Sinnthia

Time was created by the creation of the universe. Therefore the creator of the universe would be outside time. This means That this Creator would not be following the laws of science of this universe, meaning it would not necessarily need a Creator.

Simple logic to follow, unless one is ignorant.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Where did the elements come from?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

By the way. I did not rich in here to defend anything. This thread just so happened to be the top of the recent post list, and I was wondering what God of the gaps is.

Furthermore, I am not a Christian, and far from being a religious nut.

You assume much.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
In a few years, once scientists create a self-replicating entity out of nothing but a raw concentration of C, H, O, and N, the god-fearing will have exhausted their supply of barnacles.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Time was created by the creation of the universe. Therefore the creator of the universe would be outside time. This means That this Creator would not be following the laws of science of this universe, meaning it would not necessarily need a Creator.

Sorry but that does not answer my question, it merely sidesteps it.

Simple logic to follow, unless one is ignorant.

Ignorance and logic have nothing to do with each other. The argument was not even that there is no god. The argument is that saying we have no clue why there are tides proves there is a god is ignorant as well as illogical.

Which side are you saying you would align yourself with? The one that denies known scientific knowledge in order to pretend that it proves some random arbitrary thought or the one that points out that we actually know this stuff...like for realz.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Im sorry , I was just replying to your snarky remark.........was the person you were talking to suppsoe to answer that question? If he was, then why arent you required to answer mine? Turn about is fair play.

I guess its not ok when someone returns the favor?

I enjoyed the clips, and thought they were quite funny.........

But if youre going to be snippy to people, expect to get called out........

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Reply to post by uva3021

Where did the C, N, H, and O come from?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

By the way. I did not rich in here to defend anything. This thread just so happened to be the top of the recent post list, and I was wondering what God of the gaps is.

Furthermore, I am not a Christian, and far from being a religious nut.

You assume much.

Then why do none of your posts actually reflect anything said in the video?
Not only have you ignored the OP and the video in it, you only presented some fallacious gap argument and nothing more. Sorry if I go with what I am given. Are you going to actually comment on topic so I have something on topic to go with?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Yeah, it does answer it. But you said yourself you are not willing to hear anything.

As far as the tides go, if a Creator cmade the universe, logic would dictate that it caused the tides.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Im sorry , I was just replying to your snarky remark.........was the person you were talking to suppsoe to answer that question? If he was, then why arent you required to answer mine? Turn about is fair play.

Then I guess you completely ignored the post I was responding to myself?

I guess its not ok when someone returns the favor?

Apparently not. I returned the favor and you decided to pile on. Explain the balance there?

I enjoyed the clips, and thought they were quite funny.........

It was one clip so I guess you did not watch it.

But if youre going to be snippy to people, expect to get called out........

So if Lemon.Fresh is snippy and off topic, I am not allowed to call that out without you calling me out for calling it out?

See if either of you can watch the clip in the OP and make this thread interesting and different from all the other -god does or does not exist- threads.

reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I never said any such thing but I will say, one more time, that is off topic as all heck. I would be glad to entertain those kinds of questions in one of the many threads of that type. This one is about Bill Oreilly making ignorant claims and then failig to use logic. The moon causes the tides, not invisible friends. Speaking of ignorance.

It was a great clip, OP. Good luck with this thread.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join