It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question For Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
What do you believe?

85% of Americans and two billion people in the world claim to be Christians. Having spent nearly every day of my life in The United States, this question is for the 225 million self-proclaimed American Christians.

What do you believe?

Jesus says to love your neighbor as your self, and The Bible says thou shalt not murder. However, many Christians support war, send their children overseas to fight, and then repeatably say, "support our troops". Just what are the troops doing over there in Iraq and Afghanistan? One might argue that these soldiers are killing other people to defend the Homeland because terrorists attacked us on 9/11. But what about this scripture?
Luke 6:27-31 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."
So what do you believe?

The vast majority of America claims to be Christian, yet we consume to excess while more than 25,000 people die every day of starvation.

We spend billions of dollars to promote, watch, and participate in one, four-hour long football season finale, while millions of people go without clean water.

We spend money on new cars, home improvements, vacations, and optional surgeries to improve our self-esteem, while millions go without basic medicine.

Christian people claim to support life, yet vote for politicians who support abortion.

Christians in America say we shouldn't steal, yet we have tremendous wealth through the wrongful acquisition of slave labor and foreign natural resources.

The Bible states that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, yet we knowingly consume harmful toxins which lead to disease. We use harmful chemicals to make our selves look and smell better, without ever questioning the potential dangers to our "temples".

Christian American people claim to believe in freedom and human rights, yet buy products they don't need without researching the working conditions of the people making them. We buy crap without considering the harm to our planet, children, and future generations.

We attend churches that provide hot meals and hot coffee at buildings which remain vacant overnight while homeless people sleep on public sidewalks in the cold.

We let people die, despite the resources we have to keep them alive. And we know people die of starvation, sickness, and hypothermia, and know we could help, but we don't. One may call that inhumane, heartless, or barbaric, but certainly not Christ-like.

So Christians of America, what do you believe? As for me, a person raised as a Christian in this country and who claims to believe in the teachings of Christ, I'm not so sure I want to be labeled this way. And if I'm doubting and questioning the understanding of what many Christians claim to be Truth, how could anyone else be convinced? Many people view Christians as moronic hypocrites, and in viewing the facts, they're justified.

America, we hold the key and see the door. When are we going to open it? For in the game of Monopoly (the game that has been thrust upon us since birth), at the end, everything goes back in the box.

So really, what do you believe?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Before you remove the splinter from my eye, please remove the beam from yours...
How many homeless people do you personally have living in your home?
I'm sure there is room...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
my opinion is .. i never followed a religion whatsoever .. , we all come from creation .. , and everybody is a portion of god himself .. ,

religion always caused problems all over the world and for decades ..

i guess the less complicated reasoning in life is to beleive in yourself .. and in ''your'' version of god ..

but again its my opinion .., were all different !

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
christians are considered moronic hypocrites because they follow a book full of hypocracy, many religous people take what suits them and they beleive that just like your doing by taking phrases out of the bible that support your peacefullness, how bout an " eye for an eye" or the many other quotes from the bible that support punishing those who do not agree with the bible, i even remember some quotes about beating your wife and killing your children but i guess those don't matter because they do not adhere to your point????

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveakaRNG
However, many Christians support war, send their children overseas to fight, and then repeatably say, "support our troops". Just what are the troops doing over there in Iraq and Afghanistan?

The Bible says murder is wrong. It does not vacillate from this view. However, war is something different, as is evident through scripture. God sent the Israelis against the land of Canaan after having given the 10 commandments, which includes the commandment not to murder. In addition to this, the law given for the nation of Israel included execution, which signifies a difference between murder and a nations' ability to render judgment against the life of a citizen or enemy. For those who would say Christ changed this, it simply isn't so. He talks of nations having been given the sword by God to exact justice. A nation is not held to the same standard as an individual. While Christ said love your enemies, as you've quoted, He also praised and visited with Centurions -- professional soldiers.

The vast majority of America claims to be Christian, yet we consume to excess while more than 25,000 people die every day of starvation.
So give to prevent it. I'm not personally responsible for my neighbor's excess.

We spend billions of dollars to promote, watch, and participate in one, four-hour long football season finale, while millions of people go without clean water.
What are you suggesting here? Many people love money. Christ Himself said the love of money is the root of all evil. Again, because people enjoy modern gladiatorial combat, it means they're not Christian? People are going to spend money where there is potential to make money. Many of those people who make money give a portion to various charities to help others in need. Christ never said to give everything away to the masses, but rather, whoever has much, much will be required.

Christian people claim to support life, yet vote for politicians who support abortion.
Though I can't say I've intentionally done this myself, if someone has, so what? It is one issue, and there are many, many issues our representatives in government deal with. If an individual deems something else takes priority over a stance on abortion, what of it? The way the government is set up currently, there's not likely to be a change in abortion legislation for many, many years anyway.

Christians in America say we shouldn't steal, yet we have tremendous wealth through the wrongful acquisition of slave labor and foreign natural resources.
Meh, opinion as to the means of gain. If you feel badly about your wealth, believing you've stolen it, then follow scripture and work with your hands to create something to give back to society. Even if this is accurate, scripture still says sons are not responsible for the sins of their fathers.

The Bible states that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, yet we knowingly consume harmful toxins which lead to disease. We use harmful chemicals to make our selves look and smell better, without ever questioning the potential dangers to our "temples".
Yes, we should treat our bodies well, and some people smoke. That was something the Holy Spirit actually hit me with several years ago, and I quit. Scripture says the Holy Spirit will make your sins known to you, and about 6 years after becoming a Christian, He did as far as smoking goes. As to potential dangers from various consumables... Everything has some person advocating its danger. Everything from soy to water to beef to, apparently, perfume. When you figure out how to live in a vacuum free from the son, air, food, liquid, bacteria, etc., let folks know and this can be addressed.

Christian American people claim to believe in freedom and human rights, yet buy products they don't need without researching the working conditions of the people making them. We buy crap without considering the harm to our planet, children, and future generations.
This is an ethical issue you're having that isn't explicitly addressed in scripture. If you feel this is sin, then do the research. If someone else doesn't, don't tell them they're not a Christian. Paul talked about people who cannot eat some foods are weaker in their faith that on who will eat anything. We all have imposed upon ourselves extra-Biblical rules to help us walk our lives. They're not wrong, but it is wrong to impose them on others who do not struggle in the same way.

We let people die, despite the resources we have to keep them alive. And we know people die of starvation, sickness, and hypothermia, and know we could help, but we don't. One may call that inhumane, heartless, or barbaric, but certainly not Christ-like.
Did Christ heal everybody? How is dying bad?

As to Christians being seen as hypocrites... I agree. Yet, I ask you to show me one person of the 6.5 billion or however many people living on this planet who isn't. People hide behind calling Christians hypocrites as an excuse to dismiss what they're saying because, ironically, they're hypocrites themselves who don't seem to want to deal with the heart of the message, instead choosing to take pot shots at the messenger.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I think you need to look up the Christian definition of the word "sin". And then realize that becoming a Christian does not mean that Christians are not sinful. Finally, I don't think the word hypocrite means what you think it means.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Modern Christianity is a half-a$$ed belief system. You pick and choose what philosophies you are comfortable with adhering to as a Christian. It is re-interpreted for every generation to fit fashion and what teenagers consider to be "cool".

In fact I see many similarities between the U.S. government and the "God" of the Bible. Both remind its people how much either above mentioned entity loves them and will always care for them and protect them. But will then take it upon itself to murder and slaughter its people once they try and do something for themselves.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
A lot of good feedback here. First of all, I'm not at all standing on a soapbox, and I have more fault than I could type in a lifetime. But I am saying that we in America are spoiled and undeserving, at least in this generation. We owe a great deal of our comforts to previous American generations for this, and what are we doing with it? Over-indulging, over-eating, drinking to excess, and looking away from global problems which we are contributing to. I'M GUILTY! And I admit it, but to try to say everyone has a choice doesn't necessarily apply to every person in every country.

Regarding war and violence, I do believe that Jesus showed another way. Someone commented on eye for an eye as written in the Old Testament. Jesus addressed that before he says turn the other cheek. Another example of non-violence that Christ displays is when Peter cuts off the ear of a soldier and Jesus heals the soldier. And Peter was just trying to defend Jesus.

I believe this to be the Truth: If every self-proclaimed Christian would stop fighting and only take their daily bread instead of worrying about finances and worldly luxuries, we would live in a much different world. I'm not sure anyone could argue that.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I think JungleJake makes a good point when he asks which of the 6.5 billion people aren't hypocrites. The first post sets standards and reminds all of us of several areas in which we fail, there are many more. I wish I could remember the source, but I'll attribute to Chesterton the idea that churches aren't museums for saints but hospitals for sinners.
Is there any movement or organization which doesn't have people that fail to live up to it's teachings? I suppose only the ones that say whatever you do is your path and that's good for you. The fact that many people are not good Christians doesn't make Christianity bad. Christianity may be bad, but that's certainly not how to show it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveakaRNG

Jesus says to love your neighbor as your self, and The Bible says thou shalt not murder. However, many Christians support war, send their children overseas to fight, and then repeatably say, "support our troops". Just what are the troops doing over there in Iraq and Afghanistan? One might argue that these soldiers are killing other people to defend the Homeland because terrorists attacked us on 9/11.

Whoa hold on easy on the troops here. Yes soldiers are killing others, but that is not the sole mission of the military in the Middle East. The mission today is counter-terrorism, winning the hearts and minds of the people. If soldiers are shot at, they WILL fire back, it's their job. But there are strict rules of engagement that require soldiers to wait until they are fired upon to fire back. There is almost no cold blooded murder among the U.S. troops, and if there is there is most likely a traumatic cause behind it. What I'm trying to say is what our troops are doing over in Iraq and Afghanistan is not murder, in fact war today has become much more civilized than war say 50, 100, 150 years ago.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I understand your points. One thing for sure, is that we have a long way to go as a people regardless of what we are labeled. Christian or any other religion for that matter.
When I get frustrated with the world I remind myself not to focus on the "religion" and the people in it. I give it up to GOD and focus on HIM. I sometimes think its in human nature to mess things up and regardless of what people claim to be we will never be perfect and follow things perfectly. So don't focus on people or the religion they represent. Its real easy to find fault in people. GOD knows all of our hearts and HE will take care of our needs. Focus on GOD.

new topics

top topics

join