It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities Refuse Burial for Laotian General In Arlington

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
www.ottawacitizen.com...

U.S. authorities have refused a request for Laotian general Vang Pao to be buried with honours at Arlington National Cemetery, it was announced Friday, as thousands paid respect at his funeral. "They called a little while ago ... and they told me the committee turned the general down," said Charlie Waters, shortly after the start of a funeral for the Hmong veteran, who led a CIAbacked "secret army" in the Vietnam War. Waters said they would appeal to the White House. Vang Pao died last month in Fresno, California, at the age of 81. He led the CIA-backed force that assisted the United States in Vietnam, during its ill-fated war with communist forces in the north of southeast Asian nation.

You have to serve in the American military to be buried at Arlington. However the CIA is an American institution, and they had no problem accepting this mans aid during Vietnam.

Honestly I am on the fence with this. I understand tradition and rules. But...

Should he be buried in Arlington or not?

Edited to add another link, as the above is a mobile link. www.fresnobee.com...

He certainly stirred some contreversy from time to time as well.
edit on 2/5/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

We have thousands of French nationals buried at Yorktown, Arlington and other locations, who fought on our behalf during our Revolution.

How is the Hmong General any different? Because he was Asian, or because we never recognized or admitted to the Hmongs part in Vietnam?

As a veteran, I think this refusal is a disgrace.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Thank you for an opinion from a veteran.
I was unsure how other veterans would feel about this and was reluctant to state a firm opinon out of respect for you/them simply because it is not a civilian "graveyard".

I knew other nationalities etc had been laid to rest there and that is why this story caught my eye. I think you hit the nail on the head with both points.

They are going to petition Obama/White House now. I guess we will see where that leads.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Thank you for an opinion from a veteran.
I was unsure how other veterans would feel about this and was reluctant to state a firm opinon out of respect for you/them simply because it is not a civilian "graveyard".

I knew other nationalities etc had been laid to rest there and that is why this story caught my eye. I think you hit the nail on the head with both points.

They are going to petition Obama/White House now. I guess we will see where that leads.

Thank you. I think too many times it is civilian functionaries who make these determinations. I was not of age for Vietnam, my war was the cold one underseas, but I know guys who owe their lives to the bravery of the Hmong.
The lousy politicians have short memories, whether it is about our allies or our own troops.

join