It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot goes to school for sick student

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Search results shows no matches so, please forgive (and delete), if this has been posted before.

It is called "The Vgo telepresence platform" and I think this is really going to help a lot of people, children and adults, who just can't get out of their home or hospital room. It also looks very affordable considering the benefits it will give in the long run. Allowing people to still get an education on all levels as well as allowing those who may be unable to get to and from a job because of a disability, like quadriplegics. Here is a picture of it in action.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa2bcab3166c.jpg[/atsimg]

Freshman Lyndon Baty’s immune system is so fragile he can’t risk being surrounded by people his own age, yet he attends classes at his high school in Knox City, Texas every day. All thanks to a robot. The Vgo telepresence platform is a four foot tall bot on wheels with a small screen, camera, speakers and microphone at the top.

Here is the SOURCE article with VIDEOS

I think this will also be great for security guards too. They can use this to patrol warehouse's and around buildings if camera's are unable to see every spot and if certain area's are just too large to cover by foot. They can have it take pictures and use a zoom feature to help see long distances. So many possibilities. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.
BuzzingOn

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If it wasn't because of his immune system I thought we would of had a problem on our hands there :/

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well, the first thing I thought of was this episode from The Big Bang Theory:
geeksroom.com...

But seriously, this is a pretty cool idea, and I'm glad the kid gets to have an education even though he's sick. I just hope he either gets better soon or that he can manage to find work he can do while being isolated like that.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
congratulations humans, we are well on our way to having surrogates! living the lives we never could! perfect!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Yea. Perfect for fat lazy security guards.

Obesity crisis here we come.

top topics

join