It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mubarak Resigns as Head of the National Democratic Party!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This stuff with Egypt excites me because it proves that enough people with 1 goal can cause large-scale change. Plus, it seems likely that a successful "overthrow" (using that term very loosely) could cause a chain reaction of people "overthrowing" corrupt regimes, which is generally good for the people and bad for TPTB.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
He didn't resign.

AymanM correction: President Hosni Mubarak has not stepped down as head of National Democratic Party. The Executive Policy committee has changed 5 minutes ago · reply

AJELive Al Arabiya television retracts its earlier report that Hosni Mubarak resigned as head of Egypt's ruling party - aje.me... #Egypt 16 minutes ago · reply

edit on 5-2-2011 by ahimsa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
As has been said, he has resigned as the leader of the National Democratic Party.... Not as president... he is still in power... Sadly...

I do suspect though that it is only a matter of time before he resigns his presidency, either voluntarily, or by force....

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

IT NOW APPEARS THAT HE HASN'T RESIGNED

Key figures in Egypt's ruling party have stepped down, according to state television, as protesters continue to demand the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak.

Al Arabiya television retracted an initial report that Mr Mubarak had also quit as leader of the party.

But the party's secretary-general Safwat el-Sharif and Gamal Mubarak, Mr Mubarak's son, are said to have quit in a shake-up seen as a gesture to anti-government campaigners.

For 12 days they have been taking part in demonstrations in Cairo and other cities demanding that the embattled president resigns.

news.sky.com... om-Cairo/Article/201102115923449
Fox.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Anyone notice that as the demostrated escalated in Egypt there is a power vacuum forming? If President, Hosni Muburak, leaves abruptly someone will rush to fill the power vacuum, and it could be worse than what they have now? Things have to happen in steps, and the Egyptians are going to have to show a little patience. This is the country's future they are playing around with in the streets, and to get this wrong over petty anger and indignation over Muburak leaving abruptly is actually putting them in an imperiled situation. As it stands now, he may have resigned as leader of his party, but as far as I see it, he is still President. It is a good move on his part and a step to resolving this crisis. However, I am partial to his earlier decision of not seeking re-election later this year, more than an abrupt departure, caretaker government, or something else being offered in the short-term.

As the people light torches, turn over cars, light molotov cocktails, and get into clashes with each other; so called "saviors," have been coming out of the woodwork to fill the void that is left by Muburak; from an obscure IAEA bureaucrat in Mohammad El-Baradei who has spent more time abroad than in his native Egypt to a fanatical organization who has spent more time being hunted and imprisoned than in politics with the Muslim Brotherhood. There are probably others joining the fray as well, and they want nothing more than to take the seat of power in resounding putsch.

I have not heard anything about patience on their part or allowing for a smooth transition through the political process? Oh, I heard unity government a few times? Unified by whom? A unified power pillaging campaign amongst the politicians? That sounds about right, if the people continue on with defiance and blind hatred. Moreover, they risk the very opportunity of fair and legitimate elections if the vacancy is filled during mayhem and chaos. If President Muburak resigned as head of his party it is in the right direction, but I don't think it will be enough to calm the people? They want one thing and that is his abrupt departure, and that is rolling the dice on their country's future. When they give the politicians the opportunity to decide who takes office instead of having an election when the people have the final say, it breeds uncertainty. Lets hope patience and reason resound among the demonstrators, because their hatred and anxiety is doing more harm than good.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
America is making a terrible mistake not coming all out for the Egyptian people this is a great opportunity to help america's standings in the middle east we pay for there army to a tune of 1.2 billion a year basically we own the Egyptian army IMO and we should use this influence to promote peaceful uprise and help the people pick a leader that has the Egyptian people and Americas best interest at heart we don't want the muslam brother hood in power we need a moderate american educated person in power. The Egyptian people look at america as a big brother at this point and we need to keep it this way moving forward and make the most from this opportunity we can. this needs to be a module for the middle east moving forward.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
To those that are just skimming this thread:

The BEST thing would be for him to resign from the party, but NOT from the "Presidency"!

Again, he needs to retain that roll so that needed
changes to the Constitution can be made in the shortest time possible.

It would be the best possible (fastest) scenario.

Unfortunatly, This apparently has not happened yet.

Please reread the first page of this thread and understand that the Egyptian Constitution makes it necessary for him to retain the title of "president".

It is NOT like your Constitution.

Significantly, the constitution prohibits the interim president from introducing constitutional amendments, dissolving parliament or dismissing the cabinet.

yubanet.com...

Or just continue to post popular rhetoric with no understanding. You will get a star for sure from the "skimmers"

Please deny ignorance!

Sigh

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Apparently CNN jumped the gun in their zeal to scoop the story. It hasn't happened yet. This would explain why it hasn't been on FOX or other channels.

So we wait...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Apparently CNN jumped the gun in their zeal to scoop the story. It hasn't happened yet. This would explain why it hasn't been on FOX or other channels.

So we wait...

Yeah, CNN jumped the gun....but Fox did too, they just deleted their story on it (at least I can't find it now, but saw it earlier). Reuters and many other sources reported it. It seemed reliable at the time, as the story broke from the Egyptian State TV.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I was thinking of the rules and protocol that exist for Egypt to have a proper exchange of power, and it occurred to me....if a faction such as the Muslim Brotherhood would storm the palace, assassinate everyone in sight, and take over the reins, what's to stop them? Rules mean nothing in a scenario like that.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Really? I wasn't aware...thanks for the update.

That's what I get for sleeping in.:lol;

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Got that... Democrat - Dictator - Democrat - Dictator

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by mishigas

I was thinking of the rules and protocol that exist for Egypt to have a proper exchange of power, and it occurred to me....if a faction such as the Muslim Brotherhood would storm the palace, assassinate everyone in sight, and take over the reins, what's to stop them? Rules mean nothing in a scenario like that.

The Army has the Muslim Brotherhoods number, They are just waiting for them to do something dumb like that.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
So it goes Murabak hasn't resigned from the party or the presidency?

What happened that caused CNN to jump the gun as they did?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

It''s called scooping:

Journalism . a news item, report, or story first revealed in one paper, magazine, newscast, etc.; beat.

They're always playing this "gotta be first" game, as if time to press is more important than accuracy.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Mubarak didnt resign it was his son Jamal, who resigned and he is also not going to run for election

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I'm watching Algezeera live - Mubarak is still in power. They are all back in the square demanding he goes. Muslims and Christians both Praying together.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I think the one thing a lot of people don't realize is that Mubarak basically had a totalitarian dictatorship- 2 weeks ago, he was the sole head and leader of the police, army, judicial system, government, ect.

There wasn't even a vice-president or prime-minister until a few days ago.

People want him to leave- but if he just gets up and leaves, there will be a HUGE power vacuum left in his wake- enough power to be abused in the most terrible of ways if it falls into the wrong hands.

I think that he is planning on stepping down, but they need to get things in order to make sure there isn't some kind of coup that ends up making the country fall into a worse state than it's already in.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Aljazeera report at the moment that Muslim Brotherhood to have dialogue with Vise President shortly and will insist that any deal involves Mubarak stepping down.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
Aljazeera report at the moment that Muslim Brotherhood to have dialogue with Vise President shortly and will insist that any deal involves Mubarak stepping down.

Aljazeera reporting live that Pro Democracy demonstrations are ongoing in cities across Egypt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join