It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil - Thousands of dead fish in the Pantanal! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I'm flabbergasted. As I read one countrysd newspaper, to the next, they seem to have stories of Mass Wildlife Kill-offs. This latest one is from Brazil.
brazilweirdnews.blogspot.com...

"MATO GROSSO DO SUL/AMAZON Region – At Aquidauana, pantanal region of the Mato Grosso do Sul state, shoals of painteds, pacus, golden fishes, cacharas - and even stingrays, are floating dead in Rio Negro, one of the largest in the Amazon River basin. The estimated Environmental Policy is of that several tons of fishes died, adding that the authorities and experts, they still do not have the scale of the ecological disaster.
Biologist of the State Institute of the Environment, Robert Gill Machado, noted the phenomenon, considered of great proportion, after flying over the region of sub-basin of Rio Negro. At this place fishing is banned. The area is considered one of the nurseries of fish breeding of the Pantanal. According to the technicians of the Institute the symptoms that occur in this case are the same symptoms of other instances of the genre. The fish are dying putting their heads out of water trying to obtain air, due to lack of oxygen in the water. This deficiency is due to the large volume of ash produced by burned, which is carried by runoff along riverbeds of the wetland.
However, the idea of blaming the ashes of forest burn has no rationale. The residents of the region, they don't believe in this theory. More probably the poisoning of water by gases would be generated by decomposing organic matter, a process that, in fact, removes oxygen from water. All very natural to some extent. What is not natural in the region is the volume of fish that died from deadly agent. It seems that something is rotten at the Gaia realm."

They are saying "Tons" of fish. I've heard this before. And once again, the locals are not biting on the "Official " story of ash run-offs. These locals have been around a long long time, and they even say that this is not natural.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Glad to see you are getting this info out there!
These stories can be quite starteling at times, but I need to know what's going on with Mother Earth as I care deeply for her. Without the animals, birds, fish...I know I don't want to be here!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
We should always listen to what the locals are calling normal, if they say it isn't normal then it isn't. Inevitably some one with a PHD in sudden fish deaths will say this "normal". I say if the locals find it highly unusual we should listen.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by willie9696

I definitely agree. I always prefer to listen to the folks that live this daily than some scientist jumping in with their explanation. Common folks (no offense cause I am one of them) know what they feel/see since they live it daily!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Wow.
That photo of those floating dead fish is really graphic.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
And those are some big fish!
Yuck

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
I'm flabbergasted. As I read one countrysd newspaper, to the next, they seem to have stories of Mass Wildlife Kill-offs. This latest one is from Brazil.

"MATO GROSSO DO SUL/AMAZON Region – At Aquidauana, pantanal region of the Mato Grosso do Sul state, shoals of painteds, pacus, golden fishes, cacharas - and even stingrays, are floating dead in Rio Negro, one of the largest in the Amazon River basin.

The info is almost totally correct if it wasn't for the fact that this Rio Negro is no where near where the Rio Negro from the Amazon River basin really is....this Rio Negro is in the PANTANAL which is near the border with Paraguay...in fact the Pantanal extends from Brazil into Paraguay and Bolivia...
Heres a translated page from a local website with lots of pictures from the affected Pantanal area:
O PANTANEIRO WEBPAGE

I lived around the Aquidauna and Campo Grande areas for a couple years, and its real sad to see this happen in such a beautiful place...it also used to be a great place for sports fishing back in 94-96.... its quite weird to see these fish die in quite a unexplained way.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is definitely disturbing... there is a new event in Florida as well...

Thousands of dead fish were found washed up on the shore of a Florida state park. The animals were found along the beach of Sebastian Inlet State Park in Melbourne Beach, FL, on Friday.

More Info here : RSOE EDIS

More and more mass die offs... scary times we are in... especially if all these sharks die as well that have been seen around Florida.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm in the Great Lakes Region and plan on performing a Eco-System Inventory & Analysis on the Wildlife/Forestry Habitats within my area of the region this spring. After I have the basis I will then turn it into a monitoring system for the Eco-Systems health. Hopefully I will not find anything too alarming...but will post my initial findings some time in May. And if people are interested, I will provide my excel project for others to examine and monitor their areas as well. Until then I will be keeping an eye on all these die offs.

S&F

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForestForager
This is definitely disturbing... there is a new event in Florida as well...

Thousands of dead fish were found washed up on the shore of a Florida state park. The animals were found along the beach of Sebastian Inlet State Park in Melbourne Beach, FL, on Friday.

More Info here : RSOE EDIS

More and more mass die offs... scary times we are in... especially if all these sharks die as well that have been seen around Florida.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm in the Great Lakes Region and plan on performing a Eco-System Inventory & Analysis on the Wildlife/Forestry Habitats within my area of the region this spring. After I have the basis I will then turn it into a monitoring system for the Eco-Systems health. Hopefully I will not find anything too alarming...but will post my initial findings some time in May. And if people are interested, I will provide my excel project for others to examine and monitor their areas as well. Until then I will be keeping an eye on all these die offs.

S&F

Thank you and my hats off to you for performing your endeavor. Michigan holds many happy memories for me.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

You're welcome, but I don't feel I deserve the hats off until I can complete and provide here on ATS
I do appreciate it though and it is encouraging to know people are interested in what's going on in the Eco-systems around them. Michigan is also a great state, I'm from Wisconsin myself, but enjoy the annual backpacking trips up in the U.P. of Michigan at the Porcupine Mountains on Lake Superior.

Back to topic. The pictures I've seen are severely disheartening, and those are some big fish as well!!! Wish I could have been there to collect them as they were dieing (assuming suffocation and not 'agents' what ever that could mean). My freezers would be full!
Maybe come across a world record as well

All fun aside, I am worried about the continuing mass die offs within Eco-systems across the globe. It's very troubling! I think they may accelerate as well come spring/summer here in the U.S., expanding even to include trees especially, but other wildlife as well beyond the birds and fish... Not to mention the honey & bumble bees, bats, etc... WTH is going on????

EDIT: Another new fish die off on RSOE EDIS... check it out...

A video posted to YouTube over the weekend by a sport fisherman shows thousands of dead fish floating off the coast of the Outer Banks. Fisherman Mike Stokes says the fish were, "dead stripers floating belly up, pretty much as far as you could see, a couple hundred yards."

Maybe our fishermen doings, maybe not...

edit on 6-2-2011 by ForestForager because: adding new event

top topics

join