Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Urgent! This is an Important Must Read Thread!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Was the wolf story just a metaphor or are you really aware of an ATS user that has been carted off??

I have only just recently begun to post and read threads in this site more regularly than I had been able to do of late, so I was unaware of the seeming disappearance of Airspoon.

Wherever he may be, my thoughts and well wishes are with this genuinely great member. Thanks for sharing your thread on that matter, my friend. I hope we hear from him soon, and that all is well.

JPZ

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

I guess knowing that everything is a half-truth and that illusions have more truth though the illusion I would say that we are screwed as a Society. There is no way we can ever reveal the true extent of the path of the liar because the sources are many and the intent is incalculable. Does someone lie because they are paid to, or, are they doing it just to get back at living a lie forced by others? Who knows, but a lie is a lie and when it all comes down to it a lie only degrades the user. Ultimately we die and the information is purged, what is left is the shard of which we nurtured.

I, my friend, am not so sure in the knowledge that everything is a half-truth. It seems to me, in my own helplessly subjective way, that truth is truth, regardless of our perceptions of it. If an orange has a sliver of the peel sliced off of it, but my perception of that orange precludes me from seeing the orange from the angle that would reveal the sliver sliced off, then that orange will appear to be whole. That would be the half-truth, or three-quarter truth, or whatever percentage of a whole orange minus the sliver would be. Of course, it is prudent to pick up the orange, if possible, and examine it from all angles. Not all data can be so easily examined as an orange.

As to revealing the true extent of the liars path, I think, once we understand a liar is a liar, we can come to successfully predict their destination, if they continue to lie. Even if they do keep lying, what can we do with these liars but show them our compassion? Certainly they deserve that, at the very least, for how easy is the honest mans path? Just how honest should we be? Lies of omission are still lies, but then should we constantly reveal all truth as we know it regardless of the consequences?

I have known people who are "brutally honest" and indeed, there seems to be at least one member in this thread who has chosen "brutal honesty" as their reply. It is an interesting concept, this "brutal honesty", and sometimes I think anyone of us who are confronted with it might find ourselves questioning the efficacy of such "brutal honesty". Not that it isn't honest, as I am sure it is, but that this honesty may not be reflective of truth. Is this a contradiction? Perhaps, but is truth prohibited from holding contradictory concepts with in its reality? It is, I think, a fair question.

I like the idea that people can be responsible for their own behavior, but it isn't showing itself to be true or feasible. Maybe one day but not today. I just think it is utterly important for information to remain available to each and every one of us on this Globe so that at least one person makes sense!

People are responsible for their own behavior, whether they accept that responsibility or not. Here's the real kicker though, if we are ever to become more than who we are, we must not only accept responsibility for our own actions, but for as many actions as we can possibly bear. That is the mark of a true hero, to accept responsibility regardless of whose actions created the outcome. Blame, in the final analysis is, quite simply, irrelevant.

It is a very exciting age we live in, and these are interesting times. Of course, I have been told that Chinese have a curse that states: "May you live in interesting times". I suppose, and this is yet another angle on the truth, that much lies in how we perceive it. The relationship between the observer and the observed seems to have, at least on a quantum mechanics level, some credence. That idea is all together far out, and as Einstein might call it; "Spooky action at a distance", truth may or may not be all it is cracked up to be, or it very well may be that there are more things in Heaven and Earth, than are dreamt of in our philosophy's, Horatio.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Well written, well presented, and very thought provoking.

I look forward to reading more of your posts! S&F.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

One aspect that could be mentioned further in your article, is Intuition. Can we rely on it?

Intuition is a most valuable source of data collection. I have long suspected that knowledge is not necessarily gained from learning, but rather by remembering. It is possible in a universe of infinite possibilities, that we all, each and everyone of us, all ready know all there is to know, and the game we play is to enter these mortal shell's to experience what it means to know what we know as a mortal shell. Academic pursuits are a fun game, but all games are perverted. What a perverse pleasure to play the game!

I also suspect that a true critical thinker will not discount intuition as a valid strategy when attempting to derive at a truth. When it was discovered that scurvy was caused by a lack of vitamin C, it is not as if there was any empirical evidence of a lack. No microscope powerful enough to reveal the lack. It had to be a leap of faith that there was a lack in order to begin dosing scurvy patients with vitamin C in order to bear out the prediction, but that prediction was not so much based upon an actual observation, at least not the observance of lack, as it was some intuitive process that led the Scottish surgeon James Lind to conclude that it was indeed a lack of vitamin C that was a primary source of scurvy. Of course, fresh foods, particularly citrus foods had been used since antiquity as a cure for scurvy, but the knowledge that a lack of vitamin C was the primary cause of scurvy did not become common knowledge until Lind began his experiments, starting with a leap of faith that there was a lack. Intuition was a part of Lind's scientific method.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I think critical thinking has been thrown out in our schools and universities, they don't want us to think or ask too many questions, they all have their own agenda, plus it isn't taught, on the other hand those who are honestly looking for truth will find it one way or another.

Someone in this site, in another thread, asked me if I thought the indoctrination process in schools was intentional. To some degree I think it is, but to a larger degree, I think the indoctrination process and the chucking of critical thought as a valid tool of learning is a product of expedience.

It is the perversion of practicality in the form of expedience that is a big part of the problem. We come to believe that due to our rigid schedules in a fast paced world that we no longer have the time to stop and smell the roses, and that it is ultimately quicker and more efficient to simply Google roses, and rely upon, (all to often), a Wikipedia article written on the smell of roses in order to enjoy the sweet smell of roses. We call this expedience practical, but in truth - or at least as I understand this truth - it is hardly practical to expect to understand the smell of a rose by reading an online encyclopedia article describing that smell. It would be far more practical to just simply stop and smell the roses.

Thank you my dear friend, for making the time to enter this thread, and stopping long enough to share your rose garden.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Intuition is a most valuable source of data collection. I have long suspected that knowledge is not necessarily gained from learning, but rather by remembering. It is possible in a universe of infinite possibilities, that we all, each and everyone of us, all ready know all there is to know, and the game we play is to enter these mortal shell's to experience what it means to know what we know as a mortal shell. Academic pursuits are a fun game, but all games are perverted. What a perverse pleasure to play the game!

I am in agreement that intuition is valuable, I pay very close attention to it, more men pay attention these days, it is no longer just women's intuition, we can all tap into the collective if we are open to it.

There were a number of people who had the same information on all major inventions in modern times, I would imagination the person who got to the patent office first got the credit, and also that old stand by "sleep on it".

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

However, if you sit down with a legal dictionary (which I believe you most probably have done at length) it is cause for a rant with even stronger profanity.

The mystical incantations of the priest class lawyer set is no doubt an excellent topic for a thread, and one perhaps I should consider starting. The tautological nature, and circumlocution of definitions offered by legislative lawyers has become so absurd they make Abbot and Costello's Who's on First routine seem infinitely more understandable and not nearly as funny as...oh say The Internal Revenue Code.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by derfreebie

To those few of you, simultaneously burning away the fog of disinfo and chipping the calcium occasionally from my pineal gland, thanks again for the lengthy OP-- and time well spent on both ends of this process.

The process of writing can be a tedious and very lonely process. It is a process with no value at all if there were no readers to finalize the process. It is readers such as yourself, who not only read, but then make the time to share their own impressive craft at writing, and to do so in praise of another writer, is humbling indeed.

P.S.

If I may use this post in reply to you, to share my thanks to another gifted writer, Lucidity, and thank the both of you for making the time to read this thread, and add your own contributions to it.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more on the many levels covered.
Critically thinking objectively is the key to the age of information.
P.S. I like the crying wolf analogy
edit on 6-2-2011 by A por uvas because: p.s.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Bravo! A well written piece to be sure!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Coherent, eloquent, comprehensive, and timely. An excellent post Jean Paul. I always look forward to your input.
Wish I had something more to add, but I think you've already said it. S&F.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Great thread OP. However I'm more "put off" by fellow members admitting to almost not reading your post "due to length".

I have to ask though....did someone on ATS really get carted off by the government? Or was that just story to get a point across?(edit...just saw the blurb on airspoon.I read this site everyday and missed it apparently).
edit on 2/6/2011 by LordBaskettIV because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I just plugged your thread in one of my threads. You write the best threads by the way. And yes, everything you said was spot-on.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Bravo to you! You are a profound-exceptional writer. You should really think about writing or teaching, you give such great analogies followed by referencing of your sources. Your writing was refreshing change on ATS, thank you!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Nothing against a well written thread, its thorough and thought provoking. However, thats only because I as an individual decided to give it the attention it deserves. Everything you have said has been said before, for hundreds if not thousands of years. That wisdom is a choice, and one must endeavor to enlighten themselves, is not a new concept. No article, movie, song or report can change a person, until they are open to being changed. The most you will get from posting this is some nodding from people who already see what you are talking about. People have their own journey's of enlightenment. As children we all though the world was black and white, and it wasn't until we saw with our own eyes that this was not the case, we wouldn't believe otherwise. Its a personal journey, if there was a one size fits all philosophy for the world, things would be simple. However, as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

But at the end of the day, if it eases some of the tension and disheartening strain of seeing the world spiral the drain, all the power to you. I hope you change the world.

PS: I was more or less touching on the information overload portion of your post, not the semantics of word use. My linguistics professor taught us that, if you say something and I understand it, its language. The evolution (or deterioration) of language in its present form is due to the evolution of communication. Its frustrating to the conservative but one cannot stop an avalanche, the best thing to do is get out of the way and re-evaluate the terrain when the dust settles.
edit on 6-2-2011 by JunoJive because: Clarity

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Many fine minds here in this thread

Op, You've done a fantastic job and I hope one day I have the writing capacity similar to your ability.

Ive considered myself awakened since 17, im now a 18 and I already have a great deal of horrible information on things nobody in society mentions except on sites like these.

Its already changed my path in life and my future goals.

Quasar_la-Zar

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Words are dead, they're inert; they're not tangible and they never will be. Information is twice as subjective, it is for the apparent motives of the source that we must reserve judgment; it has always been this way, now there is just more of everything.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
Once upon a time, there was a young shepherd boy who became very bored, so he grabbed his lap top and began furiously typing in a frantic manner; "Wolf! Wolf! The wolf is chasing the sheep!"

What about the untold story which is implied? "The Boy Who Cried No-Wolf"?

In this story, the lookout-boy is told to keep the classroom calm and to lie to them that "Wolves don't exist" while wolves are actually coming. That story isn't whispered into as many children's ears. Bad for business you see.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I just want to know what thread your refering to Jean Paul ? As usual your writing is outstanding but yet it leaves me with more questions than answers. I now know for a fact it is very dangerous to get too close to the fire. One might just get burned. I think the older conspiracys are far safer for ones health than the breaking ones. There is certainly more to this site than meets the eye. All kinds of ops taking place,disinfo,miss-info,propaganda,bullhockey and plan old wacko crapola etc etc.

My motto,if you really tick off tptb theres really not much you can do about it but take what comes.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nickoli

I did not mean to be cryptic, but that perception, I suppose is only because I was speaking in generalities. I was not making a reference to any thread in particular, and only having recognized the use of words such as "Urgent!" and "Very Important" and "Must" attached to threads since I have joined this site, it became the inspiration for this weeks OP ED installment by me.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf update was just that, an update of Aesop's fable tailored towards the readers of this site. There was no intent on cryptically alerting members to some sort of government siege on a member, and I certainly had no idea when I created this thread that Airspoon has been mysteriously absent from this site for as long as he has. While knowing that Airspoon hasn't logged on for sometime is cause for concern, without knowing anything other than that, I cannot intelligently speculate on his situation, and can only keep him in my prayers while he is absent.

On a less serious note, I must admit that I do not mind that my writing leaves more questions than it gives answers. It seems to me that the path to wisdom is that path paved with questions, not answers. In terms of ticking off the so called "powers that be", if I have done so, I would like to think that is because in my own small way I have managed to add to the movement of self empowerment and to the inevitable path of creating an open system where all who choose to play can do so with the reasonable expectation of opportunity to either win or lose, as opposed to the current lose-lose scenario.

Practicality, however, leads me to believe that this so called "powers that be" have no idea who I am, and could really care less, and if they are aware of me, view me as nothing more than a gnat on their ass. This is, if not a practical perception, my hope. Master Sun Tzu say; "play the fool", and when faced with immense power and machinery of the state, I would much rather be seen as a gnat, than as leviathan. That said, when I think of myself I much prefer to see a leviathan instead of gnat.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join