It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of two halves! Map shows most of Northern Hemisphere is covered in snow and ice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

World of two halves! Map shows most of Northern Hemisphere is covered in snow and ice

www.dailymail.co.uk

At first glance it looks like a graphic from a Discovery Channel programme about a distant ice age. But this astonishing picture shows the world as it is today - with half the Northern Hemisphere covered with snow and ice.
The image was released by the National Oceanic And Atmospheric Association (NOAA) on the day half of North America was in the grip of a severe winter storm.
The map was created using multiple satellites from government agencies and the US Air Force.
That Antarctica, the Arctic, Greenland and the frozen wastes of Siberia are covered in white comes as no surprise. But it is
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Crazy amounts of snow in the northern hemisphere !
The weather seems too have been acting rather strange over the past few years, getting stranger and stranger. I feel a big change coming, bigger than the change we are currently experiencing.

Maybe the gulf stream has really stopped?

Regardless of whether or not the gulf stream has stopped for whatever reason it does look as if a mini ice age is plausible.

Make sure you check out the link there are some amazing pictures !

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If the Gulf stream stops then you can cover the UK in snow as well I think..

PDUK

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Isn't this already a thread? I read yesterday.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
It can’t be. You must mean the world covered by fire from the Algore global warming. Maybe we are doing too much to stop global warming and now we are going to freeze to death because of our own foolishness, and over zealousness.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Do you think that will be likely and the U.K will soon follow?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pandapowerjamie
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Do you think that will be likely and the U.K will soon follow?

If the gulf stream stops then the UK is pretty F'd.

Imagine Russia at wintertime. Except the UK isn't prepared or adapted enough for Russian winter weather.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

It's pretty normal for winter.

If gulf stream had stopped Western Europe would be covered in snow and the temperatures in Europe would be extremely low. What we see now in Europe - there's some snow but it's pretty warm.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

That would suck greatly, as much as I love winter weather it would suck haha, do you think it is likely to happen though? In your opinion I mean, unless you have some links or evidence to back it up.
Much appreciated.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pandapowerjamie

That would suck greatly, as much as I love winter weather it would suck haha, do you think it is likely to happen though? In your opinion I mean, unless you have some links or evidence to back it up.
Much appreciated.

Here are some sources suggesting that the gulf stream is slowing down. There are actually more sources suggesting that it is NOT slowing down so I wouldn't bet anything just yet =/

www.timesonline.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...

Apparently we are overdue an Ice age. The ice core samples from Antarctica show us the natural process of global warming going back thousands of years.

www.daviesand.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Thank you very much, this is quite interesting so far.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Crazy amounts of snow in the northern hemisphere !

It's called winter. What'd you expect? Though it is less than usual in some areas - both in terms of coverage and depth.

Maybe the gulf stream has really stopped?

Ah, is that why it's so mild in England at the moment?

As for a mini ice age being possible, well if the situation is the same in July you may have a point, otherwise I think you'll find this thing we call spring may scupper that idea

edit on 5-2-2011 by Essan because: to remove image from quote

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
THERE is no snow covered in nepal . as shown n pic .

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see how this map lines up with the previous ice age. In the NE of the US, the snow line looks very similar to how far the glaciers progressed, at least that's what I remember from a Geology class a little while back.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by D1Useek

You know global warming doesnt mean that the globe just gets hotter? It essentially creates two severe sides. Its either intensely cold, or intensely hot.

This is a big deal and I don't think many people realize this. It aint no joke.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
So, in the graph shown above, you can see the CO2 concentrations have peaked consistently just before the temperature spikes. At the very end of the graph, at 0 years BP (i.e. the present), there is a massive rise in CO2 concentrations that peaks up along the axis. Thus, the graph does not indicate the imminent onset of an ice age, even if we only go by that 'proof'.

I also think this quote is quite appropriate given the nature of the thread:

Judging from the record of the past interglacial ages, the present time of high temperatures should be drawing to an end, to be followed by a long period of considerably colder temperatures leading into the next glacial age some 20,000 years from now. However, it is possible, or even likely, that human interference has already altered the environment so much that the climatic pattern of the near future will follow a different path.

That is a quote from 1972, found in the Patterns and Perspectives in Environmental Science report and written by members of the National Science Board.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by iversusvsversusi
reply to post by D1Useek

You know global warming doesnt mean that the globe just gets hotter? It essentially creates two severe sides. Its either intensely cold, or intensely hot.

This is a big deal and I don't think many people realize this. It aint no joke.

Incorrect. Global cooling and global warming are two opposite ends of the scale.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It's called global climate change, welcome to the new Earth.

Global climate change deniers are always bashing on Al Gore whenever it gets cold. The truth of the matter is, while there is always a natural process to the environment, pumping huge amounts of gases into the atmosphere, dumping massive amounts of waste into the environment, and cutting down acres upon acres of trees will have an impact.

What? Do you seriously think that all that crap we put into the environment won't have any impact at all?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Nice pictures.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One intense winter in the western world doesn't mean the world is cooling (nor warming).

Still, I'm more and more tired of those retards (ie : D1Useek) who can't get a grip on the effects of the whole climate change thing and keep blaming Al Gore for his documentary, ridiculing him every time they see a snow flake.

He may be a fraud but global warming isn't one, it amaze me every time to see people believing in chemtrails, reptilians, illuminati, predictions and such when they don't have a bit of a proof while they dismiss the possibility of climate change even when the scientists display data that support the whole theory.

The world some of you are living in is incredible, really.

edit on 5-2-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
It's called global climate change, welcome to the new Earth.

Global climate change deniers are always bashing on Al Gore whenever it gets cold. The truth of the matter is, while there is always a natural process to the environment, pumping huge amounts of gases into the atmosphere, dumping massive amounts of waste into the environment, and cutting down acres upon acres of trees will have an impact.

What? Do you seriously think that all that crap we put into the environment won't have any impact at all?

I keep taking this angle to express the point as well. Scientific knowledge is so poor that many people can't even grasp that any change to a closed system will affect the entire system. I believe or ability to modify our environment has outstripped our ability to rationally understand the processes we are altering. It is an evolutionary tipping point imo. I am very deeply discouraged at this point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join