It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies and Gentlemen! Start Your Databases (aka "Beat the Kill Switch")!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I've been randomly using some GTD software for various little tasks on the computer. Today,I started going through a lot of the stuff I've collected in it's inbox and realized I collected a small treasure trove of files and websites scattered about the HD.

I've started putting it all together into a new database. I have the option of saving web pages as PDF files+HTML for future use in the event that the info. disappears down some Internet 'black hole'.

If you decide to do this too, it also might be important to make sure you can password protect your databases as well.

While I'm sure many savvy users have already been doing some the same or similar for a long time, I feel it's worth mentioning as the prospect of sporadic or even permanent Internet blackouts loom on the horizon for a variety of reasons. Blackouts aside,archiving what's going on is critical as things online literally pop up and disappear sometimes within minutes of being posted in this fast-paced cyber-world.

Also worth mentioning that if you want to avoid using the Internet search portals for privacy reasons,there is search engine software available which installs and resides on your own computer.

All of this can be found using the Internet search engine of your choice,of course.
edit on 5-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: wording.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Absolutely agree. Not sure about the need for the passwording but downloading and storing content when you find it, especially if it is something that may vanish, is definitely worth the effort.

My better half is an "archivist extraordinaire" and huge amounts of info get turned into PDF files. She says it is to give her something to read when the net goes down!

Of course what we want to "beat the kill switch" is a viable alternative net.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Absolutely agree. Not sure about the need for the passwording but downloading and storing content when you find it, especially if it is something that may vanish, is definitely worth the effort.

My better half is an "archivist extraordinaire" and huge amounts of info get turned into PDF files. She says it is to give her something to read when the net goes down!

Of course what we want to "beat the kill switch" is a viable alternative net.

Great to see you're doing it as well! Password protection can help you prevent people from accidentally deleting or modifying anything in the database. Also,if you have any personal info in the database,you'll definitely want a password for it.

new topics

join