It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone help me identify this bright star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
So I'm at work takeing a smoke break, its a 0645 here in The Woodlands, TX just north of houston.
I see this extremely bright star. Oddly bright for some reason. Can someone help me identify it?

Below is a pic I took with my extremely crappy blackberry camera.
I'm only posting to pic to show as crappy as it is, the star still shows up fairly bright even next to the lamps we have out side

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c32a500be2c2.jpg[/atsimg]

The pic below hopefully shows which direction I was facing to see the star, obviously up is north, so the star was at my southeast. The red dot is the smoke break area, and the arrow indicates which direction. Hopefully this link will go straight to the google maps page.
So i'm thinking it could be venus, but it was pretty damn bright.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b485fef26537.jpg[/atsimg]

So can any of you astronomy gurus help me out?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Definitely Venus mate.I wondered the same myself but found the answer in this website-www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php?version=4
very easy to work and informative.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
this site might help you to find out what it is

www.fourmilab.ch...

just put your coordinates

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Really appreciate that, that definitely helped. I kinda assumed it was Venus but I have never seen it that bright before.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE
reply to post by glen200376

Really appreciate that, that definitely helped. I kinda assumed it was Venus but I have never seen it that bright before.

to bad you didn't see it when it was closest around the holidays. I'd been up till past 4am in late December and was thrown i turned the computer back on to run stellarium and it was Venus, i thought it was some supernova or something.

new topics

top topics

join