It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spray on skin gun heals wounds in days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Spray on Skin gun heals wounds in days

The skin gun is real, and it's here to heal.

Dr. Jörg C. Gerlach developed the gun, which uses a patient's own cells to help regenerate a burn victims' skin. The gun, which was conceptually discussed by PopSci in 2008, has been successfully used to treat over a dozen patients over so far, according to the National Geographic video below.

And the recovery time is amazing. The example in the video below shows a somewhat miraculous recovery, curing a sencond degree burn in just 4 days.

Older methods like skin grafts take weeks to heal, according to Gizmodo. The whole spray gun process only takes about an hour.

*** The video contains images of severe 2nd degree burns. Its not required to watch to understand how the process works but I highly recomend people watch it to see the before and after shots of this amazing technology breakthrough - Images are graphic***

EDIT - Some people have said the link is blocked in their country. Try this link for the video if the above does not work.

www.noob.us...

edit on 5-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

This has been brought up a few times in other threads, so I thought I would give it its own. Completely amazing in how in works, from collecting the patient own skin stem cells, to processing it into the soltuion is about an hour and a half. Once applied to the patient, healing occurs in most cases of about 4 days.

Since the cells are from the patient, the body does not reject the skin "graft". Healing is 100%.

I love technology.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Wow! Amazing.....

Why isn't this common knowledge amongst doctors by now?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Wow! Amazing.....

Experimental technology would be my guess.. Trying to get volunteers to try it out with the understanding it might not work, and could possibly do more damage than whats already there would be a huge deterent. So far according to the video its 10 out of 10 on sucess.. I imagine with a good track record it will come out full force before long.

The question is how does it work, is the technology patented, and will the Government expedite the process for full acceptance instead of mandated trials for however many eyars before giving it a stamp of approval.

To me this looks like one of those cases where the process should be expedited to be available to as many people as humanly possible throughout the world.

EDIT - Nvm about the above comments.. The article was posted on Feb 2, 2011 so this is just now being tested out and just now is hitting the media. 10 people to date with it not being very old is pretty quick in the world of medical advancement, breakthroughs and testing.

I would imagine this will get mainstream media coverage and catch on pretty quick.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Can't see it in my country.

If this is real would love to have a personal one for all those times I've accidentally burned or hurt myself lol.

edit: Here's the video that's not blocked for those of you who want to see it.

edit on 5-2-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by amongus
Wow! Amazing.....

Experimental technology would be my guess.. Trying to get volunteers to try it out with the understanding it might not work, and could possibly do more damage than whats already there would be a huge deterent. So far according to the video its 10 out of 10 on sucess.. I imagine with a good track record it will come out full force before long.

The question is how does it work, is the technology patented, and will the Government expedite the process for full acceptance instead of mandated trials for however many eyars before giving it a stamp of approval.

To me this looks like one of those cases where the process should be expedited to be available to as many people as humanly possible throughout the world.

So... F pro life. Stem cells are the biggest conspiracy of mankind.

I truly believe this....population control in full effect.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

If this is real I would love to have a personal one for all those times I've accidentally burned or hurt myself lol.

Yeah I an see it being all the rage at bonfire parties. Out of curiosity why cant you see this being used in your country? Which country are you from?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

If this is real I would love to have a personal one for all those times I've accidentally burned or hurt myself lol.

Yeah I an see it being all the rage at bonfire parties. Out of curiosity why cant you see this being used in your country? Which country are you from?

Sorry I meant the video lol. They blocked it.

Anyway it's about time science started getting to this stage, the world really needs money spent on this stuff way more than new weapons and wars.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I think you might of misunderstood my explanation. The cells (stem cells) come from the patient who has the burns. They have found ways to extract stem cells without using human embryos, which is why that argument pretty much dies out in the media and religious groups.

Since nothing is killed to get these blank cells, there are no ethical issues to address.

The story and video above used the burn victems own skin stem cells.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Sorry I meant the video lol. They blocked it.

Try this

www.noob.us...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Don't worry I should have said that I edited my post, check it out.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Doesnt look like anything was edited from what I am seeing lol. Either or I added a secondary link to the video so hopefully others will be able to use that to see how it works.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Doesnt look like anything was edited from what I am seeing lol. Either or I added a secondary link to the video so hopefully others will be able to use that to see how it works.

Noooooo my first post. I added a video almost straight away. Sorry about this getting off topic lol.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Lol sorry.. Brain is not working as intended this morning.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This is revolutionary! S&F! This is just amazing... It takes months to graph skin and the results and far from perfect. Now you can get 2nd degree burns treated & healed OVER THE WEEKEND! This is just too cool. Why haven't more people flagged this? I guess they like cowering in fear of their conspiracies rather than researching awesome inventions. I'm really starting to hate ATS. All the fear-mongering makes me want to vomit.

FLAGGED!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

It's an amazing invention but I'm not sure that the guy in the vid gives credit where it's due. Is this the same treatment or an adaption to the old?

biotechnology-innovation.com.au...
Following her work done for victims of the terrorist attack in Bali, Dr Fiona Wood's unique solution for burns victims has attracted worldwide acclaim. Currently Director of the West Australian Burns Service and co-founder/Director of Clinical Cell Culture Ltd, this pioneering doctor's technique known as 'spray-on skin,' helped to substantially reduce the death toll of the Bali bombings. Wood's method allows for the rapid administration of skin cells, speeding up the healing process and significantly reducing scarring. Where previous techniques of skin culturing required 21 days to produce enough cells to cover major burns, Wood's innovative technique has cut this time to 5 days.

Research has shown that scar formation is significantly reduced if the wound heals quickly. A burn wound that takes 21 days or more to heal has a greater than 70% risk of developing a significant scar, compared to a burn wound that heals in less than 10 days, which has only a 4% risk of developing a hypertrophic scar. Hence it is imperative to treat burns as soon as possible in order to reduce scarring and improve the patient's ability to move and function in society.

The development of skin cell transplant technology began in 1990, when Dr Wood was treating patients for serious burn injuries. Treating large burn injuries traditionally involves applying cultured skin in the form of sheets to the wound. The skin sheets are grown from skin cells obtained from the patient but usually take 14-21 days to produce. Dr Wood discovered that scarring could decrease if the wound could be treated within 10 days. She found that although skin sheets produced in 10 days often had holes in them, these areas healed faster than those treated with confluent sheets, and with less obvious scarring, because the cells had not achieved total confluence. And thus, a new technique was born.

edit on 5-2-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

No idea to be honest.. Completely possible though from the looks of the info you posted. Either or its an amazing technology.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What amazing results. And what hope this brings. Four days?

The Wiki entry says Dr. Wood of Australia took the U.S. invention of cultured skin and created the spray form that works in 5 days. Doesn't say whether it's stem cells or what, but it is a patented process.

Seems Dr. Jörg Gerlach invented the computer-controlled gun technology? Some articles are saying military scientists developed the gun? Sounds like a joint effort maybe. Whatever the case kudos to all.

This makes it even more amazing. Wanna bet someone will find some ethical argument or another? Or try to anyway.

This is very exciting and encouraging.
edit on 2/5/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Awesome, I wonder when it's gonna get banned.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Hey, that's absolutely amazing!! It's nice to see some new technology in the health care area rather than always in consumer gadgets. If this becomes main street, this guy is going to be living on easy street for the rest of his life. Now lets hope they can invent something that will eliminate cancer. My bets are on John Kanzus radio wave machine where trials are showing promising results. Here's a clip of his machine shown on CBS 60 minutes.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/10/60minutes/main4006951.shtml

top topics

<<   2 >>

join