It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How i earn $200.00 bucks or so an hour,, and make my own hours.....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
reply to post by darrman

From inception to your first job, how long did it take? Also, how do you get your leads?

Great thread!

Puyallup!!!!!! YEAHHHAAYY!!

get certified at Green River ,, here is a link,,,, www.instruction.greenriver.edu...

yes i could use another!! it might take a few months to get into the class,, their mostly full all the time, and they only train about 20 people at a time,, but having 2 testers means we can Double the Biz-ness...lol

getting leads for work,, i spend a little time on-line advertising,, but going out this time of year and putting flyers on doorsteps in my Favorite Communities really helps....

i never turn away work...... and i keep My customers so next year i will have 90% retention and all the new customers i get that year.... i do a lot of work with Property managers ,, apartments,,, schools,,,, and Homeowners!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Good for you man.

I think here in the UK it's no possible to do this course without being an employee (slave) of the big water company's...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I hope you don't die at the Keyboard LOL!!

lol, thank you!
I didn't die! yay!

I don't have that kinda coin at the moment...
but its great information to have around!!!
thank you so much for posting this thread and answering my question!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

if you are Really interested ... there are Many sources to get others,, to pay for you....

your state department of Vocational -rehabilitation ..for one..

or you could get a church?? or potential employer??

a very friendly Uncle..LOL

I wish you well!!

Darrman

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

thursday im going out.. and on this one day.. i will make over $2500 just in testing fees!!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

for the new people,,

I love this season!!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
In some states you must be a certified plumbing contractor to do this. That does not mean you could not get a job doing it, but self employment is not always a possibility.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Some free reading which is likely to relate to the subject. Might be a bit technical for some folks though.

www.neng.usu.edu...

If you understand that well enough, I think getting the cert (if required in your locale) might not be too hard. But then again some places would require knowing a bit about plumbing or plant management depending on the places you do your work.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

kool buddy!!!

great add...

and for BRONCO--................... welcome

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
darrman, I'd like to ask a couple of questions on behalf of my newly school-free, jobless, 18-year-old son.

What is "backflow," and why is it important?
Why do these establishments need to have it tested?
Wouldn't the water company do this for free?
Do you advertise, or just go in and say, "Hey, you guys want your backflow tested?"

Thanks in advance for your answers.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
darrman, I'd like to ask a couple of questions on behalf of my newly school-free, jobless, 18-year-old son.

What is "backflow," and why is it important?
Why do these establishments need to have it tested?
Wouldn't the water company do this for free?
Do you advertise, or just go in and say, "Hey, you guys want your backflow tested?"

Thanks in advance for your answers.

+++Tippin my hat in your general direction+++

Hello! I've seen you around.. nice to meet you.!!

this is what Backflow prevention is :chemicals,, fertilizer, pesticide or herbicide sprayers could contaminate your water supply... You can reduce the risk of contamination by using a spring tension, one-way valve that only allows water to flow down-stream from the water source ,, primarily the water main,, or the Well pump, in some areas.
all states have Different Laws so check here.. www.scdhec.gov...

this is a local company chosen at random www.h2obackflow.com...

water company's known as "purveyors" don't test their own customers as a rule. unless they need to by local ord.

in some of the areas i service the water company, will test.. but charge the customer 200.00 just for the test..
I as an independent STATE licensed Backflow Assembly tester charge about 50.00 and i can go Anywhere in the state..

the test as i have said takes no REAL time to perform,, but Finding Customers can be hard.!!
and to answer your question,, i DO just call or show up and ask for their patronage of MY service.
I do have Property managment companys , Realtors ,, irrigation comp.. Manufacturing,,docks/marinas.. and Residential homes,, Apartments,, around here it get complex with All the Diff types..not just drinking Water,, but also Fire Sprinkler systems,,,,it is easy to do,, been doing it a while and its still fun!!

it took a little phone/fax/drive time to build,, but i get to KEEP my customers.. so i keep building.. over time..

and i advertise a little... signs,, in Target areas.. door flyers i pass out when im Next door/down the street..

Craigslist is FREE ...lol

this are testers in your state.. call some of them for local rules and benefits..
look here --i dont know Where you live exactly-- but this list is Grand www.scdhec.gov...

good hunting my friend! U2U me if you need to...

Glad to help!

edit on 6/2/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

edit on 6/2/11 by darrman because: add a line

edit on 6/2/11 by darrman because: more typos then a bag full of kittens rolling on my keyboard ..

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I appreciate the info my good man. I'm sure my son would make more money doing that than he is by running around in MY truck hauling old stoves and refrigerators to the scrap yard.

For being so nice, I'd like to invite you over for breakfast.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b7f514b2e35c.jpg[/atsimg]

Of course, me being a Marine and all, I wash down my bacony bits with beer.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f414f123c7c6.jpg[/atsimg]

Hope you can hang with the Big Pig brother.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
1. In this job is there more work than people to do it?

(I'm 50 and have just had gone through 2 downsizings the last 2 years and currently am unemployed. I'm in Wisconsin, USA.)

2. How long does the certification courses run (months, weeks)?

3. Do plumbers get most of this work?

4. If not self-employed like you, what are starting wages for this job at a company?

5. Do businesses regularly get testing done or do you have to suggest they do by law?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepixelpusher
1. In this job is there more work than people to do it?

(I'm 50 and have just had gone through 2 downsizings the last 2 years and currently am unemployed. I'm in Wisconsin, USA.)

2. How long does the certification courses run (months, weeks)?

3. Do plumbers get most of this work?

4. If not self-employed like you, what are starting wages for this job at a company?

5. Do businesses regularly get testing done or do you have to suggest they do by law?

Thanks in advance.

hey.. in Washington state ..

1. more work-- then people to do it.. in my neck of the woods,, and THAT fact keeps the testing fees high.
as i've said i charge $50.or so and That seems Fair.. to me.. other companys with HIGHER overhead charge more.. and find the customers easy enough.. there was a guy who charged $18-bucks per test.. got A $hit-pop worth of customers,, and went bankrupt driving ALL over the state..
--best advice is to start small.. charge 5 to ten dollars less then the companies around you and try to build enough over time,, OR____ go to work for a fire sprinkler company..

2. the course takes basically ONE WEEK.. here in Washington Check with YOUR local Department of health
epdweb.engr.wisc.edu... -possible but i dont know. where you live.. it looks like they call it "cross connection control": in Wi...
worth doing the research IMHO..

3. many plumbers get the work REPLACING defective devices,, in my state i am Able to do ANYTHING outside of a structure (building),, but to remove/repair INSIDE of a building i would need HIGHER insurance,, and i dont want THAT stress,, if i find a defective unit i have the customer call their Favorite plumber--(i STILL get paid) for the test-- and because there will be a NEW unit installed-- i go back after and TEST the new device--for free..

4. hmm tough-y question.. i would assume if you worked for a larger company-- $15. bucks/per hour..
but i don't know your background/experience.. you know how it is--you GET what you SELL yourself for..
I found it Better for ME- to start out calling independent Backflow testers in my area.. (about 50 testers) and ASK if they needed help... after calling all around, i found one man, who was 65-ish his knees were going bad,, and he had me preform 300 or so tests for him alone... i scored ,, but it is NOT uncommon to find THIS as a norm.. people get old!! i'm 45-- i will do this till im 70...God -willing..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 in Washington state it is LAW that Each Water District Have in place a Backflow prevention program.. Every device in this state needs to be tested once a year... it is up to the water departments to ENFORCE the state law.. if / When a device is Due to be tested, the customer gets a notice from the water company.. the customer has a 2-3 month period to have the test done and submitted back to the water company,, if they delay or forget they get a threatening letter reminding customer of the law and how the water company CAN and WILL shut-off the water if they don't comply--.. some water departments/companies will have a last resort TESTER who works for the water company--and the water company will charge MAX-bucks to the customer who has NO-CHOICE but to pay the bill..

with the initial letter of backflow testing reminder -HERE in Washington it is customary to have the water district have included with the reminder a list of TESTERS in the customers area so the customer can pick from a smaller grouping of Testers who PRIOR registered with the districts THEY wanted to serve..

i get my customers the old fashioned way,, i give a good service for a good price.. and THEY call ME year after year...

Good luck to you... U2U me,, if you have any other Q's.. Glad to help anyway i can..!!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Thank you so very, very much my friend! Star and flag for you!!

My brother has a fire sprinkler design business, so I will call and ask what he knows too about the Wisconsin area and pertinent laws.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelpusher

Your Welcome!!!

good hunting...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

************moved here from my U2U*************8

sent: 11/22/11 at 01:04 AM
So do I understand that 40 hours of training is about the norm then? The course here in Wisconsin is $750 for non-members of the Water Assn.

I watched the TYCO backflow valves animation on youtube and can easily see how it keeps things from contamination.

Are you also certified to replace parts? if not, how do you get a plumbimg referral that won't steal your backflow testing if they're also qualified? Do you have like a list of contacts that compliment your work that you share work referrals with? If so, how did you come to do that. Maybe I should be posting this to the forum tio share your info and bump up your views

XXXXXXXX(aka thepixelpusher)
edit on 11/22/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

edit on 11/22/11 by darrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

yes 4o hours is normal to train ANYONE how to preform this simple task-- your STATE laws may differ slightly from Washington-!!!!

and here i am,, by law, able to replace and repair anytype of device, outside of a building..

if the device is inside of a building,,the plumbers union had a cow,, so TESTERS are not allowed to repair or replace any backflow units..inside...

and the second part, about keeping Customers,, its easy.. plumbers CHARGE so much more for testing they keep themselves out of the market,, the plumbers i know are just that plumbers,NOT TESTERS,, the device needs to be tested after install by a certified backflow assembly tester,, !! some plumbers ARE testers,, but not very many here in WASHINGTON..

this is a very "nitch" job.. i realize,, but nessary!! i know i sounds too-good-to-be-true..

but with a little start-up cash --for the class,, and the Differential test kit/meter . you can work for yourself or other irrigation/sprinkler companys .. i have 4 diff irrigation installers who are not testers,,just installers and give them a good price for testing all their installs.. one a week for each of em--

edit on 11/22/11 by darrman because: spellenglish

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

it will take patience,,to BUILD a client list,, but WE KEEP 90% of our customers every year..!!!

** My wifes-EXhusband.. worked construction for-ever
his body was not gonna keep up- as he ages,, so i got him into the biz..

and believe or not, he does MORE testing then i do,, his first year!!!

he had plenty of construction contacts,, and his brother is a plumber..

plus He paid BIG bucks right from the get-go for web advertising..

good for him.. i DON'T need to work THAT hard LOL

i earn enough for myself and i have hobbys that require my free time..

you can work as hard as you want,, marketing your service,, and gain the fruit.. !1
edit on 11/22/11 by darrman because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/22/11 by darrman because: spellenglish

**edit to add**

WE as a group of backflow testers, in our own areas work next to each other fine-- i'm saying,, We dont feel the need to fight over territory or areas because there is plenty of work around-Especially in the summer months..

i get calls from OTHER testers to test their customers who just happen to be NEAR me.. it works out that they can pay me to test their customers and still make 10 bucks or so.. i get paid,, the customer gets tested, and we all have enough work to be friendly,, i do find TESTERS as a rule are good people.. call anyone testing in your area and ask them questions,, most will be willing to help you out, and answer questions!! (( Even more so if you call testers from a county or two away from your area)))

i hope just one person tells me they got into this field and finds success and peace from the RAT-RACE of corporations,, and 40/50-hour workweeks ..

Darrman
edit on 11/22/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hey, nice of you to share. I'm good and grateful jobwise, but I'll bump the thread for now and share the info with some friends/relatives who are hurting.

Thanks for caring and taking the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join