It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are down syndrome people the missing link?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

How so? Please explain.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
one of my boys has type 2 .
and even at 17 most men me included can hardly understand him. woman seam to understand him better.
But this is all the strange things i see in him.
One in regular class room he got all A's and B's but the test they do once a year the stander aptitude test the one with all the A,b,c or d answers he fails badly .something about the test format he cant handle . lastly not leastly and THIS is what should be posted here as a thread .
he has these eyes that know things like he has a really big secret that only he knows,FROM birth on you could see it right away.
I have asked him many many times to tell me what it is he is keeping secret but he only gets this lose smile and looks like i cant ever tell sorry in his eyes .
o and his coordination is so bad no way this boy (man now will ever drive .
But honstly I really would love to know what secret he has had from birth yet .
pss he has a kind of glow all the time as well maybe regular people are the ones who have the bad gens
edit on 5-2-2011 by xxcalbier because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by nonetruegod

Wow thanks for taking up for me, I figured it could be a fiery topic.

Not meaning to hurt anyones feelings or nutin.

Well you did offend! Utterly gutless! Down Syndromes are people & human people!. This reeks! Your are obviously not close to some with this condition otherwise you would not have made this disgusting thread! Shame on you! Hope you get what you deserve ........ Utter trash of a thread!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by riley
reply to post by badw0lf

Offense here is subjective. I imagine this thread could be very offensive to someone with down syndrome. They probably would not like being asked if they're a missing link throw back.

edit on 5-2-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

Hrmm, you don't really know anyone with that affliction, do you?

Yes I do. Why would you assume I didn't?

They are happy regardless if they are in the rain or in heat.

No. They have all the same emotions as "normal" human beings.

They usually depend on carers for a conventional real world tantrum.

What exactly is that suppose to mean?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Human beings are born with a variety of chromosomal abnormalities, of which down syndrome is one. It's not a disease or a disorder. It's a condition.

If critical thinking were even remotely employed here, you would ask yourself questions such as "why would a 'missing link', continue to born in homosapiens over and over again? If this is possible, then why do we not occasionally give birth to astraliopiticus or neanderthal? It's the same logic.

If this were true, don't you believe scientists would have made this connection by now?

I am hoping this thread was made on a whim, or as baiting, and is not a genuine example of the OP's thought processes. I've worked with Downs Syndrome people, and sometimes they seem more human than the rest of us, so I don't really understand your point in the least. Frankly, I'm not sure you even have one, and if you do, it's creepy.

Sorry. Fail.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Here is an image of normal meiosis:

The parent cell divides into two daughter cells that have full set of chromosomes (46). The daughter cells divide once again resulting in four cells that each contain half of the genetic information, or 23 chromosomes each.

Abnormal meiosis:

The above image shows two abnormal daughter cells. One containing 24 and one containing 22.

If the abnormal cells are fertilized, there will be an abnormal number of chromosomes in the embryo. The syndrome (whether it be down's, edward's, etc) varies depending on where the mishap occurs. Down's is trisomy 21, so the 21st chromosome pair has the extra material.

Here is a map of all the chromosomes of a person with trisomy 21, it's called a karyotype. The abnormality has been circled.

In most cases there is nothing wrong with the parents. It is simply a mishap during meiosis that results in abnormal gametes. The abnormalities are more common in women than they are in men. If a woman is 35, her eggs are also 35 so they can suffer the effects of aging much like any other cell in the body. Women are born with all the eggs they will ever have, the eggs are even present in utero. Men are less likely to have these abnormalities because their sperm is constantly renewed.

edit on 5-2-2011 by daryllyn because: Because I like it.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
OP, can you please change the title to "Are people with down syndrome the missing link?". Person first language is just respectful.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
people with down syndrome must be treated the same like us, I always thought the must have some sort of special knowledge or ability?? I guess autistic children as well, they must know something that we not.

nice thread

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I highly doubt it. People with Downs Syndrome have one extra chromosome. Your "average person" has 46 and a person with Downs Syndrome has 47.

Now considering that Downs Syndrome is a condition in which that extra genetic material actually slows down/delays their development, I do not think there is anything to your idea. I mean, call me crazy, but a delay in human development just does not seem like an evolutionary advantage. If anything it is a disadvantage.

Here is a good website that will teach you about what exactly Downs Syndrome is.

kidshealth.org...

It's literally a chromosomal error and I think you will be hard pressed to find a person who thinks that a person with Downs is at any kind of advantage.

To be pedantic, as this is a thread about this syndrome, it's either Down's Syndrome, (English,) or Down Syndrome, (American). - never Downs Syndrome.

The OP is not calling Down Syndrome an advantage. He's suggesting people with Down Syndrome are half way between humans and whatever primate we descended from. It's an honest to goodness double face-palm proposition, but I guess we should give him the benefit of the doubt and answer him seriously.

Some parents determinedly do see Down Syndrome as an advantage. I've chosen to do this with my own handicapped children because they end up doing better if you find positives to focus on and keep working to help them achieve what they can, and refuse to be blinkered by professional estimates of a child's potential. Of course this doesn't mean pressuring a kid too hard, you have to keep learning fun so they learn to want to learn.

My kids are all now doing things that "shouldn't" have been possible, and I'll keep my attitude of them being special. However I also know you are right, conditions like Down Syndrome are handicaps, and I'd love to see what my kids could have achieved without them.

If all kids were loved and protected and viewed as special, with the people around them treating them well and working with them to bring out what special talents they have, this could become a wonderful world.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Humans with Down's Syndrome are the same as humans without Down's Syndrome.

Anyway, there is no such think as a 'missing link'. Each generation is the link between the one before and the one that follows. Whilst it may be possible to determine physical and genetic difference between generation 1 and generation 10,000, which of the intervening generations is the 'missing' link between them? Think about it

They are happy regardless if they are in the rain or in heat.

No. They have all the same emotions as "normal" human beings.

It's good to see at least two posters here understand.
A person with Down Syndrome is a person - a person with a disability that just happens to be Down Syndrome.

Most of us find innocence attractive, and intellectually handicapped children, if they are carefully protected and loved by their parents, retain their innocence for longer than the average child. This fuels ideas amongst people who vaguely know Down kids that they are blessed little angels.

Those of us who have lived with people with handicaps, including Down Syndrome, watched these kids grow up and known them as adults know they are capable of all types of emotion and behaviour. They have their miseries, disappointments, heartbreaks and tempers just like anyone else does. Not only that, but their intellectual handicaps mean they have a harder time in controlling their feelings and reactions.

edit on 5/2/11 by Kailassa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
To be pedantic, as this is a thread about this syndrome, it's either Down's Syndrome, (English,) or Down Syndrome, (American). - never Downs Syndrome.

...i too could be a pedantic grammar-nazi and point out the numerous errors in your comment - but - thats such a waste of time... the thread isnt really about downs syndrome... its about the archaic, misused, over-used idiotic term "the missing link" - but - thats jmo..

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
No. I can see where you're coming from, but since number 47 for Down's Syndrome folks is really just an extra copy of human chromosome 21, it's very doubtful.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Offense here is subjective. I imagine this thread could be very offensive to someone with down syndrome. They probably would not like being asked if they're a missing link throw back.

Too right.. We'll just call them Down Syndrome people, make them all group together on public transport and work is special shops.

How silly of me, asking a question as opposed to stating the norm... I need to go flagellate myself now..

Coh...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Well, it's not a trait that would occur naturally in the healthy baby, it is due to an abnormality in one of the parents, which does not cause any defects alone:

Down's Syndrome is caused by an abnormality in the egg or sperm, not by an abnormality in the parent.

The abnormality in the egg or sperm is not indicative of any abnormality in the parent.

Good call!

That will teach me to research on the spot!!

Proves even further my point however that it is an entirely random event....nothing to do with missing links..

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Well, it's not a trait that would occur naturally in the healthy baby, it is due to an abnormality in one of the parents, which does not cause any defects alone:

Down's Syndrome is caused by an abnormality in the egg or sperm, not by an abnormality in the parent.

The abnormality in the egg or sperm is not indicative of any abnormality in the parent.

Ultimately it was the parent.

Sheesh, lets get physical, Im bringing Olivia!

Oo

OP you started a great thread, I'm getting punched here!!! lol

edit on 5/2/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

God damn it, I replied to these already, lol..

Oh well, weekends suck when you froget.. :/

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

What is wrong with you? They are people who have down syndrome NOT "down syndome people" and special shops? Grouping them together? They're people not cattle.

If you're tryng to be ironic please stop it's comng across as bigotry.
edit on 7-2-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Proves even further my point however that it is an entirely random event....nothing to do with missing links..

Exactly.
Chimpanzees can have Down Syndrome too.
Most likely it can affect all the great apes.

In past years the government has felt free to conduct all sorts of unethical testing on the intellectually disadvantaged.
They've been fed radioactive breakfast cereals, experimented on in all manner of ways, and even flown in to Australia to be exposed to nuclear bomb testing at Maralinga. They were never flown out again and their fates never made public.

The last thing vulnerable people with syndromes like Down's need is to have people spreading the stupid notion they are subhuman.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I have worked with many people with Downs Syndrome and i'm yet to witness this super human strength. Can you please provide links for this?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I too believe its random but here in the UK, if you concieve a child in your 40's and 50's i believe you are routinely checked to see if the baby has Down's Syndrome as the chances increase dramatically.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join