It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are down syndrome people the missing link?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I accidentally said missing one, people with down's actually have an extra one. Yes, they still have pairs of chromosomes, just one is missing... an error of nature.

I'm sorry that people are so intolerant of genuine curiosity. I think it was a good question.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I don't think it's a bad question, but not on the right track, lol. I think these Down Syndrome children are so special that they raise the spiritual evolution of humankind. Check out this video. Wasn't it Little Grandmother that said these children are an anchor for light on earth?
mommylife.net...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Answer to your thread title: No they are not. They are vaccine victims.

peace

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Because vaccines cause chromosomal abnormalities...?

Please explain.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Hopefully this will dispel some of the misconceptions expressed in this thread. The OP may not have intended this to be offensive but his argument is disturbingly reminiscent of when ToE was also mis-used in propoganda to justify slavery by saying africans were not as human as whites.

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au... of Down syndrome
Although we know how Down syndrome occurs, we do not yet know why. There are three forms of Down syndrome:

* Trisomy 21 – every cell in the body has an extra chromosome 21. The majority of people (about 95 per cent) with Down syndrome have trisomy 21. It is an accident of birth and is not a hereditary condition.
* Mosaic Down syndrome – there is an extra chromosome 21 in some (but not all) of the cells, while the rest of the cells have the standard genetic composition. Mosaic Down syndrome occurs in 1–2 per cent of people with Down syndrome. It can result in a milder level of intellectual disability and less obvious physical characteristics that the other forms of Down syndrome.
* Translocation Down syndrome – part of chromosome 21 is broken off and is then attached (translocated) onto another chromosome. This can occur before or at conception. This form of Down syndrome is also uncommon, occurring in about 3–4 per cent of cases. In about one-third of these cases, one of the child’s parents has the same translocation. For this reason, referral to a genetic counselling service is usually recommended.

Genetic tests can show what type of Down syndrome a baby has.

Common physical characteristics
There are a number of physical characteristics associated with Down syndrome, although each person with Down syndrome may display only a few of these. The most common physical characteristics include:

* Eyes – nearly all people with Down syndrome have a slight upward slant of the eyes. There can also be a small fold of skin on the inside of the eye (epicanthic fold) and small white patches on the edge of the iris of the eye (Brushfield spots).
* Face – this is often rounded and tends to have a flat profile.
* Stature – babies with Down syndrome are usually smaller and weigh less at birth than others. Children tend to grow more slowly and are commonly smaller than other children their age. Adults with Down syndrome are commonly smaller than in the general population.

Despite some common physical characteristics, people with Down syndrome resemble other members of their family more than they resemble each other.

Delayed development
Babies with Down syndrome reach the same developmental milestones (such as smiling, sitting up, crawling, walking, talking and toileting) as all babies, but with some degree of delay. Speech and language development is often the area of greatest delay.

Everyone with Down syndrome will experience some delay in their development and some level of learning disability, but the extent and specific areas of delay vary from one individual to another. People with Down syndrome generally need more support than most other people in order to achieve their potential – some will need very little support while others may require a high level of support. However, most people growing up with Down syndrome today will be able to achieve and participate as valued members of their communities.

Capabilities and potential
Down syndrome affects, but does not determine, development and achievement in a person. People with Down syndrome demonstrate a wide range of capabilities. What happens after birth will be far more important in shaping the outlook for a person with Down syndrome than the occurrence of the extra chromosome at conception.

edit on 4-2-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
reply to post by vermonster

Because vaccines cause chromosomal abnormalities...?

Please explain.

It's the nanobots they invented in the 1700's that caused it. They were too far ahead of their time to implement the proper control features in the microchips. Plus they didn't have computers, so it's almost doomed from the start you see. Making the nanobots, and not having anyway to control them... madness...

I hear the inventor was devoured by a rampant errant offshoot of his own design... I hear they also got tesla..

Damn those frankenstien type mad scientists....

edit on 4/2/2011 by badw0lf because: Edit to remove the names of the original manufacturers, I hear they are watching via time machines... must be very very careful!!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Hopefully this will dispel some of the misconceptions expressed in this thread. The OP may not have intended this to be offensive but his argument is disturbingly reminiscent of when ToE was also mis-used in propoganda

It's never wrong to question, except when answers are asked simply to condemn.

Nothing wrong at all with this thread.

edit on 4/2/2011 by badw0lf because: man Im on a roll, brain thinks one thing, fingers to a dance...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Offense here is subjective. I imagine this thread could be very offensive to someone with down syndrome. They probably would not like being asked if they're a missing link throw back.

edit on 5-2-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Sometimes something gets lost in translation.

As women age, the "glue" that holds the chromosomes together weakens. When the cells divide during meiosis, the "weakened glue" can cause the wrong number of chromosomes to be in each "egg". Sometimes they get stuck together, resulting in an extra chromosome (trisomy) or they fail to "break" apart, resulting in a missing chromosome (monosomy). Segments can also break off and reattach in the wrong place (balanced and unbalanced translocations). Sperm can carry abnormal numbers of chromosomes as well.

The location of the extra/missing chromosomes dictates which syndrome the child would have. Down's is Trisomy 21, so its location is on the 21st pair of chromosomes.

The risk of chromosomal mishaps increases with age, which is why you see an increase of chromosomal abnormalities, including down's, in women over the age of 35. Mothers 35 and older are considered to be of "advanced maternal age".

So the answer to the OP is no. Down's Syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality, not a missing link between people and gorillas. Its a simple failure of chromosomal separation during the formation of gametes.

I guess I really was paying attention in biology.. kinda!

edit on 5-2-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

That theory of yours sounds so simplistic, I almost believe that's correct! A missing link is missing a chromosome --- a pair; thus the odd number of 47! Amazing!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Well, it's not a trait that would occur naturally in the healthy baby, it is due to an abnormality in one of the parents, which does not cause any defects alone:

Down's Syndrome is caused by an abnormality in the egg or sperm, not by an abnormality in the parent.

The abnormality in the egg or sperm is not indicative of any abnormality in the parent.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by vermonster
Answer to your thread title: No they are not. They are vaccine victims.

peace

Down's Syndrome can be diagnosed during early pregnancy, and the syndrome has been around for a lot longer than vaccination.

I'm against most vaccination, but saying it causes Down's is just stupid.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Offense here is subjective. I imagine this thread could be very offensive to someone with down syndrome. They probably would not like being asked if they're a missing link throw back.

Hrmm, you don't really know anyone with that affliction, do you?

They are happy regardless if they are in the rain or in heat. They usually depend on carers for a conventional real world tantrum.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by badw0lf
Well, it's not a trait that would occur naturally in the healthy baby, it is due to an abnormality in one of the parents, which does not cause any defects alone:

Down's Syndrome is caused by an abnormality in the egg or sperm, not by an abnormality in the parent.

The abnormality in the egg or sperm is not indicative of any abnormality in the parent.

Ultimately it was the parent.

Sheesh, lets get physical, Im bringing Olivia!

Oo

OP you started a great thread, I'm getting punched here!!! lol

edit on 5/2/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Hopefully this will dispel some of the misconceptions expressed in this thread. The OP may not have intended this to be offensive but his argument is disturbingly reminiscent of when ToE was also mis-used in propoganda to justify slavery by saying africans were not as human as whites.

lol, I don't think that's the case but it does highlight how useless genetics is when used as evidence to support ToE.

Daphnya appear to have more material than anything yet mapped, more so than humans ... yet how can that be?!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

edit on 5-2-2011 by chocise because: delete/double post

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
I just know that Gorillas have 48 chromosomes.
Down Syndrome people have 47 chromosomes
and regular humans have 46 chromosomes.

So what ya think? Could the missing link be right in front of our eyes?

Can this explain the super human strength that down syndrome people have?

Down Syndrome people are no stronger than people without Down's. They do not have super-human strength.

And no, they are not "missing links". Humans have fewer chromosomes than our ape ancestors because a pair of chromosomes fused together. It's well established just which pair, and it has nothing to do with the cause of Down's.

Here's a real "missing link" for you.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I would guess you should ask your mom and dad....
Whichever one has the power of speech.....

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by chocise

lol, I don't think that's the case

www.understandingrace.org...
By the 19th century, the scientific debate focused on whether human biological difference was just a racial variation, or represented an entirely different species. The "species" theory, polygenism, held that human "races" were of different lineages and suggested a hierarchy outlined in the "Chain of Being" that positioned Africans between man and lower primates.

Polygenism was the antithesis of monogenism, which espoused a single origin theory of humanity consistent with the Bible. Ironically, proponents of slavery were, for the most part, monogenists, because polygeny was incompatible with the Bible.

Edward Long published History of Jamaica in 1774 in England; excerpts were reprinted in the U.S. in 1788. In History of Jamaica, Long compared blacks to animals and outlined a racial hierarchy where blacks were situated between Europeans and orangutans. Long, along with Dr. Charles Whites' Account of the Regular Gradation in Man in 1799, provided the "empirical science" for the species theory. White defended the theory of polygeny by refuting French naturalist George Louis de Buffon's interfertility argument—the theory that only the same species can interbreed—pointing to species hybrids such as foxes, wolves and jackals, which were separate groups that were still able to interbreed.

Naturalist Charles Pickering was the librarian and a curator of the Academy of Natural Sciences. In 1843, he traveled to Africa and India to research human races. In 1848, Pickering published Races of Man and Their Geographical Distribution, which enumerated eleven races

but it does highlight how useless genetics is when used as evidence to support ToE.

It highlights how useless genetics CAN be when people who do not understand it try argue with it.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Humans with Down's Syndrome are the same as humans without Down's Syndrome.

Anyway, there is no such think as a 'missing link'. Each generation is the link between the one before and the one that follows. Whilst it may be possible to determine physical and genetic difference between generation 1 and generation 10,000, which of the intervening generations is the 'missing' link between them? Think about it

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join