It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are down syndrome people the missing link?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I just know that Gorillas have 48 chromosomes.
Down Syndrome people have 47 chromosomes
and regular humans have 46 chromosomes.

So what ya think? Could the missing link be right in front of our eyes?

Can this explain the super human strength that down syndrome people have?

edit on 4-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
superhuman strenth? i dont know anything about the chromosone thing, so i cant say much, but i cant imagine this thread getting a good response...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Yes but maybe no.
I like monkee's, do'h.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Um. I would say no. I hope you aren't too sorry you started this thread.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Not funny or amusing. Their dna comes from humans and continue to be human. Gorillas DNA comes from gorillas. It's not about the chromosomes. Foxes have 66 chromosomes are they more advanced? Is that where we as humans are headed?

Originally posted by mayabong
I just know that Gorillas have 48 chromosomes.
Down Syndrome people have 47 chromosomes
and regular humans have 46 chromosomes.

So what ya think? Could the missing link be right in front of our eyes?

Can this explain the super human strength that down syndrome people have?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I can kinda see the logic and i do not believe any offense was intended before everyone starts on the OP,. Don't shout him down let it be a discussion we all know that downs syndrome people are human and can be intelligent he is just proposing an idea so give it a chance to give some interesting opinions before this turns into a witch hunt and the OP is the anti Christ. We can only speculate into the origins of man and this is what hes doing.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nonetruegod

Wow thanks for taking up for me, I figured it could be a fiery topic.

Not meaning to hurt anyones feelings or nutin.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nonetruegod

Double post.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
From what I can see we're the lowest on the chromosome scale. That explains alot. Their on a higher plane than we are. Just look at the world around us.

edit on 4-2-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I know you meant no harm,you noticed a pattern and said what you thought, we are free to speculate. Your not evil just see patterns in numbers and try and make it logical and the people who shout you down will never get that.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Not really how chromosomes work... But nice try...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
No, down's syndrome people are not the missing link between humans and gorillas.

Living things require pairs of chromosomes, i.e. - even numbers.

Occasionally nature has a hiccup, and you end up with a missing one, and the organism is abnormal/imperfect/deformed/*insert whatever other "offensive" term here*

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I highly doubt it. People with Downs Syndrome have one extra chromosome. Your "average person" has 46 and a person with Downs Syndrome has 47.

Now considering that Downs Syndrome is a condition in which that extra genetic material actually slows down/delays their development, I do not think there is anything to your idea. I mean, call me crazy, but a delay in human development just does not seem like an evolutionary advantage. If anything it is a disadvantage.

Here is a good website that will teach you about what exactly Downs Syndrome is.

kidshealth.org...

It's literally a chromosomal error and I think you will be hard pressed to find a person who thinks that a person with Downs is at any kind of advantage.
edit on 4-2-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by daraSD
No, down's syndrome people are not the missing link between humans and gorillas.

Living things require pairs of chromosomes, i.e. - even numbers.

Occasionally nature has a hiccup, and you end up with a missing one, and the organism is abnormal/imperfect/deformed/*insert whatever other "offensive" term here*

So down syndrome people don't have pairs of chromosomes?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, it's not a trait that would occur naturally in the healthy baby, it is due to an abnormality in one of the parents, which does not cause any defects alone:

Human cells divide in two ways. The first is ordinary cell division ("mitosis"), by which the body grows. In this method, one cell becomes two cells which have the exact same number and type of chromosomes as the parent cell. The second method of cell division occurs in the ovaries and testicles ("meiosis") and consists of one cell splitting into two, with the resulting cells having half the number of chromosomes of the parent cell. So, normal eggs and sperm cells only have 23 chromosomes instead of 46.

Many errors can occur during cell division. In meiosis, the pairs of chromosomes are supposed to split up and go to different spots in the dividing cell; this event is called "disjunction." However, occasionally one pair doesn't divide, and the whole pair goes to one spot. This means that in the resulting cells, one will have 24 chromosomes and the other will have 22 chromosomes. This accident is called "nondisjunction." If a sperm or egg with an abnormal number of chromosomes merges with a normal mate, the resulting fertilized egg will have an abnormal number of chromosomes. In Down syndrome, 95% of all cases are caused by this event: one cell has two 21st chromosomes instead of one, so the resulting fertilized egg has three 21st chromosomes. Hence the scientific name, trisomy 21. Recent research has shown that in these cases, approximately 90% of the abnormal cells are the eggs. The cause of the nondisjunction error isn't known, but there is definitely connection with maternal age. Research is currently aimed at trying to determine the cause and timing of the nondisjunction event.

Trisomy 21: The origins of Down Syndrome.

It's not that they are the missing link... but that something has mutated one parent ever so slightly to cause this defect in the child.

I really wish there were definitive cases of it prior to the 1800's - a cursory look didn't get me very far, but I wonder if it was due to a specific thing at a certain time, or perhaps has a cause that can be alluded to.

Most other genetic defects are wildly varied, but Downs syndrome is so specific...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I think the OP wasnt referring to it as an advantage, but the missing link as in the next evolutionary step up from the gorilla to humans.

Gorilla, down syndrome, human.

Perhaps we should attempt to make a human baby with 45 chromosomes! I bet it would be superbaby!!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Our ancestors had 24 pairs of chromosomes, but for some reason 2 of them fused together. In human genome this is called human chromosome 2. In eg. chimpanzee genome the same genes that are in human chromosome 2 are in chromosomes 2A and 2B. There's a lot of other molecular evidence too found in human chromosome 2 that supports this idea of ancestral chromosome fusion event. For example there are telomere sequences (where telomerase enzyme binds) at the center loci of the chromosome even thou such sequences are only needed at the ends of chromosomes (because of how DNA replication functions in linear molecules).
edit on 4-2-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by darrenb

dont be arrogant inform him he has taken the time to question please take the time to inform.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
People with down syndrome are still human not subhuman.

Second line.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join