It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amid mass protests, 'Anonymous' topples Egyptian gov't websites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Amid mass protests, 'Anonymous' topples Egyptian gov't websites

www.rawstory.com...

After the successful revolution in Tunisia, members of the organization turned their attentions to Egypt, which had restricted access to social media websites Twitter and Facebook. The "Anonymous" Facebook page "Operation Egypt" issued a dire warning to the Egyptian government.

"To the Egyptian Govt : Anonymous challenges all those who are involved in censorship," the group wrote. "Anonymous wants you to offer free access to uncensored media in your entire country. When you ignore this message, not only will we attack your govt websites, we will also make sure that the international
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This has been one of the most fascinating elements out of all of these recent uprisings, imho---The global cyber-informational war taking place between hackers and varying oppressive governmental institutions and power and control centers.

Looks like "Anonymous" has struck again, this time against the ever-oppresionary and sadistic Egyptian gov factions.

I really do think we are seeing the very face of the cyber-world shifting, and what may be coming---A SECONDARY, or "Internet 2", spawned by some of these very clever computer hacktivists, and I would intuit to say some new server systems which may be spawned into existence through all of this.

This is definitely an ongoing, and highly interesting aspect to pay attention to in all of this unrest that is escalating by the day across the globe.

www.rawstory.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
While fascinatiing and interesting I really don't think they need to add anymore fuel to the fire in Egypt. The country is quite literally on the brink of a civil war. I would say it is crappy timing on "Anonymous" part. The thing I love the most about this group is the fact that they hide behind there anonymity. True "revolutionaries" and "heroes" do not hide behind masks. Seems more like to me that they are out for attention more then they are out for helping anyone.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
While fascinatiing and interesting I really don't think they need to add anymore fuel to the fire in Egypt. The country is quite literally on the brink of a civil war. I would say it is crappy timing on "Anonymous" part. The thing I love the most about this group is the fact that they hide behind there anonymity. True "revolutionaries" and "heroes" do not hide behind masks. Seems more like to me that they are out for attention more then they are out for helping anyone.

They can do far more good remaining anonymous. As stated in that article, some members were already arrested for their actions. And how is it a bad thing that Anonymous did this? The Egyptian government takes the internet from the people, and Anonymous strikes back. Sounds like fair play to me.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is all starting to make more sense now. They are stepping up attempts to "fix" the internet, maybe this is all part of their plan.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Anonymous has done nothing...they temporarily took down Egypt's public website.

Do you know who this hurts??? Any Egyptian citizen that is relying on that website to try to get information about the current situation.

The other thing this does...it give Egypt's government justification from pulling itself from the worlds routing tables...to proect themselves from outside attacks...ironically...it also blinds the citizens from seeing any outside news.

Another irony...a group called "Anonymous"...who hides their identities...wants transparency????

So good job Anonymous...you once again have successfully have done nothing except draw negative attention and have done more harm than good to the people you "claim" to be fighting for.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Umm, why would a citizen RELY on the VERY government who is commiting atrocities against them as we SPEAK's web-site?

That makes absolutely ZERO sense.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
They never really do anything. Sorry but the majority is really just a bunch of teenagers that host little programs on their computer that spam-attack certain sites.

Anonymous has been well known for doing pointless, stupid crap. Now this message board is trying to hang on the (also overrated) coat tails of Wikileaks and look like they stand for something. They're about as important to the internet as the lolcats phenomenon.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
i have to echo the sentiments of others here. what exactly does taking down the government websites accomplish? maybe if they hacked into their secure government networks or something similar i'd be impressed, but ddosing a website. oOoOoOoOoOo, scary!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Not all of Egypt's citizens are against the government.

Or have you not noticed the fighting?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Anything that puts pressure on the government of Egypt at this moment helps the people gathered in Cairos Liberation Square. And that includes the loose fraternity of computer hobbyists known collectively as Anonymous.

I also happen to think that by working from the shadows, Anonymous is protecting itself from the power structure which it attacks. Seems like a wise precaution to me. It also enhances the the groups' "mystique" for whatever that may be worth.

But implying that they are somehow cowardly because of their methods is as silly as it is inaccurate.

True "revolutionaries" and "heroes" do not hide behind masks.

That sounds frighteningly close to the outrage expressed by the British commander in the Revolutionary war while complaining that the Colonists were firing from the cover of the woods rather than confronting him in neat straight rows on an open field! Shameful!
edit on 4-2-2011 by Tholidor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I wish they would stop merely DDoS attacking websites and go a few layers deeper.

None-the-less all support is good support, one by one those standing in the way of the inevitable will move out of the way.

ETA: I just had deja vu
edit on 4-2-2011 by PeacefulGuerilla because: ETA:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Have you heard that the anti vs pro is like a 10:1 ratio, and most of the fighting has been provoked by undercover police and the thugs the regime let out of prison to cause nothing but chaos?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PeacefulGuerilla

I wish they would stop merely DDoS attacking websites and go a few layers deeper.

Well they can't...because Anon is just a bunch of script kiddies and all they know how to do is DDoS attacks.

I really don't care what the pro/anti ratio is...I doubt anyone really knows the number anyway. And I also doubt you can state as fact that all the "pro" are thugs and government agents.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tholidor

The fact that they hide in the shadows does not make them wise and I really don't care what your opinion on that. Frighteningly close to the British Commander? Seriously? Wow never been compared to a oppresive govenemrnt before.

Furthermore I don't care what the ratio of the Pro vs Anti are in Egypt. They got there point across the governement has been dissolved, the president is leaving (maybe not yet but still leaving none the less), the internet has been turned back on along with everything else. The point has been made, received and heard. Yet they still fight, and not only are they still fighting but they are turning on there own people. So I guess now the pro Mubarak supporters are just as guilty of oppression as he is? Doesn't that sound pretty close to something you would see from the British in the revolutionary days, or maybe even in America before we grew up so to speak. Like when we were slaughtering Indians by the 1000's just because they were different and didn't want to leave there homes so that we the white man could move in, but if you sympathized with them then you were hung, shot, or just killed for treason. Oh and lets not forget slavery where if you were sympathetic with the African American plight you were dubbed a traitor and killed or just beaten half to death.

So then we have Anonymous who comes in and creates more chaos by knocking out informational sites that might tell them if they can go out and shop, get water, or maybe even just go outside period. As it was stated before not everyone in Egypt is part of the rioting. Some people just want things to go back to normal, but I guess for them it's just to bad because the rioters and anonymous are all about there personal agendas and some have even forgotten there agendas. In closing because it is important to the few it must mean its whats best for the many.

join