It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probably a dumb question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but please be nice.

I have recently been regularly checking the direction of N on my compass... (Granted, I can probably answer my own question here as I am using an Android app as a compass...) However, over the last 10 minutes, the compass has been in a stationary position facing north. However, every so often, it will move one or two clicks east of north, then back to north. Less often, it moves a little west, then north again.

I have also noticed that when I pull my car into my garage, the built in compass used to say north, but lately has been reading NE. It is a single car garage with only one direction to pull in from... I really don't believe that it's the position of the car changing...

Any ideas? Thanks!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The pole has been shifting but I don't think that it could shift as you describe.It seems to be moving in a set direction steadily.At least everything I've seen says that.Perhaps someone else here has seen other information.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by journey2010

"Over much of the Earth's surface, compass needles point roughly north. However, because of the complex shape of the Earth's magnetic field there are few places where a compass needle will point exactly north. A compass lines up with the horizontal component of the magnetic field in a direction called magnetic north. True north,"

"In a vehicle such as a ship or aircraft, a compass is influenced by the magnetism of the iron used in the construction of the vehicle as well as the Earth's magnetic field. This causes the compass needle to point in the wrong direction. This directional error is called "deviation". Many people incorrectly use deviation when they mean declination" ...

gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The only reasonable explanation i can come up with is that there is probably something magnetic near the compass.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Also keep in mind that your breaker box and electrical feeds coming from it will generate a mild magnetic field that will be enough to manipulate a compass a bit.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Magnetic poles do flux and shift, even non-catastrophically.

Large appliances and power lines can affect local readings depending on the accuracy of your equipment.

But satellite systems and electronic compasses are even more problematic than the classic 'floating needle'.

Our magnetosphere is fluxing, we are experiences some geomagnetic shifts as well as orbital 'wobbles' that can be of consequence. Add to that the Solar coronal activity and the effect it has on the 'bow shock' around the planet, and you have the perfect recipe for "I don't know what is happening exactly."

There is of course, the possibility (though I am sure no one takes it seriously), that we are also traveling through a part of the galactic magnetic filed which we haven't visited for an age.

Magnetic North has, does, and will shift. But enough so you can measure its effect over a few days as you describe? I wouldn't know, but I'm inclined to think not.

Are you near power lines? Any high-amp equipment near your car?
edit on 4-2-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I also use the android compass app and it does the same with me. It moves slightly every now and again if you just leave it pointing in one direction.

Once for me it instantly spun around and pointed west then an error message appeared saying abnormal magnetic field. After a second of shear panic I realised I had just put some headphones down next to my phone

edit on 4-2-2011 by Paulos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Carry a 3 ft bamboo stick with you.If you get lost, jam that sucker into the ground.In a few weeks, you will have divine knowledge of direction,time,and more.Wet your finger to see which way the wind is blowing.If you happen to get in the path of a tornado,bury your wallet in the dirt deep.Being thrown around in a tornado will definetely require a trip to get a new drivers license,what a pain.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Reading these posts are the reason why I love ATS! I'm off to find a bamboo stick

Anyway, thanks for the feedback... I wasn't thinking that my office is directly on the other side of the wall from my breaker box...

I did notice that while driving today, my car said I was going NE (which I knew to be a fact), and the Android compass said West... So I guess I just don't trust the app!

Thanks again everyone..

new topics

top topics

join