It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign in using Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I know that people have been talking about an "Internet Drivers Liscence" thought up by our friends
from facebook, to log into sites. This morning, as I loaded up one of my favorite video sharing sites I saw a new adition. A "sign in using facebook" botton. I ignored it because I think having a monopoly on passwords and user names is totaly wrong. And leaves too many avenues for abuse. Now I can't even log into that site. It says the Invalid username or password thing. So I decide to reset the password. I click the "forgot my password" button. I enter my email and retreive the temp password they give me. I put that in and I get a blank page with just the sites banner on top of the page with a little line of text saying "Missing or invalid data. Please click here to try again". When I do I get that yellow download bar on top. I clicked it but had no info shown to me and something downloaded but I don't know what it is. My virus check didn't make a fuss but I will scan now. Anybody else had trouble because of this and am I over reacting for the facebook monopoly thing?
edit on 4-2-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I would never use facebook, most definately they put something on your computer. I tell you what i would do if i was oing to use facebook.

Get a vmware or something, make a virtual os, and go on facebook within that and only use that for facebook. This way its closed off from rest of computer, and also if you only use facebook, they cannot be logging anything else about you.

I would stay away from facebook, but if i did join it, i would use a virtual os within vmware or something.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

They most definately sift through your emails.
I've found "friend suggestions" to crop up from the most random places in the US, places I've never been. Come to find out, they were sellers on ebay from which I've made purchases. Now how can facebook know (aside from having a crystal ball) what I'm doing on ebay if they aren't sifting through my stuff?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I'm kinda paranoid about Facebook and all of it's easy access options throughout the internet. You have the option tio provide them with everything from your favorite food, video clip, dating sites, news you read and shopping you do. This will fuel the bombardment of specificly chosen ads you will see each and every time you log into Facebook as compared to a randomly insignificant line up in which you would normally pay no attention. This just adds to the perspective of retraining being done by advertisers by providing repetitive ads in places like Facebook to intentionally change your preferences. Even Obama warned Americans of covert sponsored manipulation of peoples opinion. Although, I believe that was directed more towards the concern of political views. I just don't think I want to provide them any extra information about my life that could contribute to the manipulation.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Most definately they have something loaded on your computer.

Like i said get vmware, and load a virtual os like windows xp or linux, and only use it for facebook. That way only that virtual os is what the facebook stuff sees, and reports on, or how ever it works.

Like i said i do not use it, but if i did, i would only use it with in a closed os, like on vmware, and i would use that virtual os just for facebook, and nothing else. Thats the only safety net you can have.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I had a similar thought because I us a lot of different websites and they started asking me to sign in with yahoo face book or google and those are all different passwords. It made me think that they are connecting all your accounts so they can monitor your information. They are all in on something.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I have not yet had this happen to me, thank heavens, however I have noticed an increase in that 'sign in with facebook' mini log in screen on many many sites. It's disturbing really. I would never in a million years use Facebook. It's just way too easy for anyone to access your information. Not to mention that every little consumer item you can think of that is advertised on the TV has a "visit us on Facebook for additional information and money saving coupon" crap which I find a disgusting bit of consumer control. Heck, even ATS has a Facebook and Twitter link at the bottom of the page here.

What is even more disturbing is that now the lawyers have started to use Facebook as evidence collection. So basically a rant on a social networking site (even potentially ATS) will be able to be used as evidence against you should you find yourself in legal trouble. Google search page link Honestly, there just is no such thing as privacy any more..... thanks Facebook and Twitter.... or rather perhaps it should better be said.... thanks to everyone that has made it possible for them to track us like sheep.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
People, people calm down about old Facebook. Facebook is used for buddies to chat with eachother and "catch up'-- nobuddies trying to steal yours information or sell ya ANYTHING

Ya see, if ya go on Facebook you'll be part of the crowd and everybuddy will know that you know what yer doin

Give it a try. Facebook doesnt' bite

Your best internet buddy,
Ronny "TOUGH GUY' Williams

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

No, they don't.

The amount of paranoia here is a wee bit scary

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Internet Explorer

No, they don't.

The amount of paranoia here is a wee bit scary

Bull, we will agree to disagree. Just use the rubbish word paranoia, and everyone assumes its a conspiracy eh. lol

How boring.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Andy, NOBUDDIES DOIN NOTHIN TO YOUR COMPUTER! Not Facebook not nobuddy.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by inchworm

After what i have been through, you saying that with a straight face are you inchworm?

lol if you are.

After 19 years of crimes against my life, i would not trust no gov or police official over a thing like facebook.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

After what i have been through, you saying that with a straight face are you inchworm?

lol if you are.

After 19 years of crimes against my life, i would not trust no gov or police official over a thing like facebook.

I'm tellin ya to clean out yer darn chicken coop and go join Facebook! Nobuddy there cares if you join and when you do you gonna see that its' just a bunch of pals chatting and talking about what they likes to do, what they like to buy... sorta like ATS, ya see. Go ahead and give it a try-- youll' be glads ya did

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

lol if you are.

I'm tellin ya to clean out yer darn chicken coop and go join Facebook! Nobuddy there cares if you join and when you do you gonna see that its' just a bunch of pals chatting and talking about what they likes to do, what they like to buy... sorta like ATS, ya see. Go ahead and give it a try-- youll' be glads ya did

new topics

top topics

join