It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explanation needed on seismic data please!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here and here.

Is this data registering a seismic event, everywhere at the same time...today?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

WOW! If that's the case then...WOW!

I sure hope that someone with some knowledge of seismic readings shows up soon!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
nice catch

waiting for the worms to come to town

or experts to debunk this

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Wow how scary!! Do u suppose its the beginning of a shift?

link   
They just had a 6.4 in China so it's possible these are registering around the world at the same time. I do keep an eye on this site but some days it shows no activity at all anywhere(twice this week) then it seems like the whole world is shaking and it probably is. I don't think it's too much to worry about but good find and we'll keep our eyes open.

link   
I've seen threads like this on here before. I claim nothing in saying this, as I am not even close to being able to read or interprit this type of data. BUT, I read on these threads that if there was a large EQ somewhere in the world it would register on siesmos all over the world. It looks like (again, I claim nothing!) that there was a large reading in the samoa region. I am sure that will be your answer from an expert, but I cannot say for sure!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

There was a 6.4 earthquakes in between India and Myanmar.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ashleys27

See! I claim nothing, but I did OK didn't I?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here and here.

Is this data registering a seismic event, everywhere at the same time...today?

Wow, something's up?!
If you take your findings over to the Quake Watch 2011 thread: www.abovetopsecret.com... they will be more than happy to tell you what its all about.

Nice find

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Aha, Thank You! I shall.

I hope it's nothing, I truly do.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well, it seems to be one big quake detected worldwide, which is normal. (Or two, as there is one earlier and one now, as it were).

The big one at the bottom of these traces currently would be the 6.4 in china, as others have said. It can be seen quite nicely on those as a rather large trace, or a really small one all the way here in the UK.

Nothing unusual, you can't feel it worldwide, but very expensive, very sensitive equipment worldwide can.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

I got you. So the majority of those readings would be as a result of just picking up on the larger quakes now happening.
It's good to hear you state it's normal to be seeing such readings.
Thanks, that got me a little confused there for a minute.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Yes one quake ringing all the seismos around the world. This is usual for quakes around the 6.5 upwards mark dependent on depth and rock structure.

This one was slightly deeper than normal, an intermediate depth.

This page deals with understanding seismograms and earthquakes but for specific details of how to read the LISS recorders please see this page

It is worth your while working your way through the example I have given as it will enhance your understanding.

Any further questions, please feel free to ask.

edit on 4/2/2011 by PuterMan because: One day, just one day, I might manage to make a post without spelling errors, grammar errors etc. :shk:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

If you look at the Newport, Washington recorder (Only good for a bout 4 more hours) this is the 5.3 in the Banda sea or possibly the 5.4 @ Tonga showing at the top of the page. Without delving into the phase data it is difficult to tell as they are fairly close to each other. The Tonga one shows well on RAR (This also good for about 4 hours)

AFI is a very good sample showing the shape of a recorder by the event. I will post an annotated version of this is a moment as it will also be gone in 4 hours.

The big one at the bottom is the Myanmar 6.4.

Edit to add image:

edit on 4/2/2011 by PuterMan because: To add the big picture

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

Found a really good trace of the Myanmar quake on Mae Hongson in the Thailand network.

MHIT.TM..BHZ.2011.035

This is good for about 12 days from today.

Unfortunately the station in Myanmar went down about 20 minutes before the quake.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
That's some wonderfully informative assistance PuterMan, what can I say - you have my deepest gratitude!
Thank You.

top topics

join