It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper, Obama to push for major border deal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Please read the full article at the link provided...

ctv.ca

Harper, Obama to push for major border deal Officials say Prime Minister Stephen Harper and U.S. President Barack Obama will launch formal negotiations Friday to ease the flow of goods and people across the border, while enhancing perimeter security -- and they want a deal completed within the year. Sources say the agreement would include joint border inspection agencies, relocation of U.S. food inspectors agents to Canadian plants and vice versa, greater sharing of intelligence, and harmonizing regulations on everything from food to manufactured goods. "This could be the most significant development in terms of Canada's border and trade with the U.S. since the 1988 free trade agreement," CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife said Thursday night.

I am not quite too sure what to think about this, but I don't like it when they integrate systems that are not compatible. In my opinion the border security enhancements are a good idea, but the part of harmonizing foods sickens me. In Canada we can still get real organic non genetically modified produce, we can still get clean meat that is not pumped full of antibiotics and steroids.

Harper don't you dare sign any deals over there you snake. Canadians do not want this and I imagine Americans don't either.

This has North American Union written all over it, any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
In Canada we can still get real organic non genetically modified produce, we can still get clean meat that is not pumped full of antibiotics and steroids.

It's too late for the US but save yourselves.
Fight it.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I think this would be an unwise decision in regards to a potential upcoming election. Harper has been doing a lot to appease the Americans and it's not playing well at home. I agree that any deals would essentially require changes to Canadian law to bring them in line with American law. Non GM food, organic products, raw foods and milk, will become regulated, controlled, and eventually banned.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I am not quite too sure what to think about this, ...

I do. He's still not securing the borders. He's just another in a long line of POTUS' who has failed in this area. Democrat or Republican .. doesn't matter .. they all fail when it comes to border security. The only thing he could do that would be appropriate would be to SECURE the borders. He hasn't done it. (none of them have).

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

It is just plain to late, all you can do now is watch.

link   
I agree. N.A.U. is inevitable. Just another brick.

I remember when the E.U. was a big deal, controversial, nobody thought it would take effect, and even less people thought it would work, and I don't think anybody believed the "Euro" currency would actually happen. Now look at them.

NAU is coming. My kids are young enough that when they get their first jobs, they will probably be paid in direct deposit Amero credits!

link   
reply to post by badgerprints

We don't much say in what happens here in Canada. Once they are elected there is little we can do in the laws they pass or they support. Their agenda is almost unstoppable. They are very methodical. I don't think a Facebook e-mail campaign will stop this one. It would take rioting in the streets like Egypt to stop this, and it's way too cold out.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I am kind of ticked off because I pay attention to this kind of thing and it has not been in the news much. They sneak it in the day AFTER that Harper announces that he "will save the day" with the internet bill. But there is no guarantee that will get over turned. Yesterday's statement was just smoke and attempt at a clever move in a chess game. Luckily most Canadians know he is not that clever.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The US needs Canada as much as Canada needs the US....but this deal will hurt us Canadians in the long run and it will be more beneficial to the US.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiste

If I was an optimist , I would think that perhaps the USA would adopt some of our food practices, but we all know that will not be the case. We have plenty of resources to share with our American neighbors and would have always been there to help, but this is turning into corporate politics, but what else is new.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
oh this has come up again. I remember when it was announced months ago that it would begin the paperwork early this year. There is nothing that can be done about the deal now, however i don't think it is going to be as bad as what it may seem like. I initially looked at it with New World Order eye's since the NWO is plastered all over ATS, but now I see a different theory.

Even though our boarder patrols will be working with each other instead of 25 feet away from each other in separate buildings, I think it rings true in what it's saying about faster trade between countries, and what that really means is faster US access to Canadian commodities. This will not be a step towards joining two countries, or adopting a new North American currency. I believe the whole reasoning behind this is as I said, to get Canadian imports into the US as efficiently as possible.

If we look at this real honest to god facts we know the US is tanked. It's not coming back on it's over, ever. The only nation that in the world(yes the ONLY) nation that can help the US stabilize is Canada. However that doesn't mean I think Canada is playing the hero role here, but more or less taking full advantage of this lucrative situation.

Faster boarder crossing to get Canadian resources into the US, and since the US dollar is deflating that means cheaper imports for Canada from the US which will also be good the the US economy because it will be giving them a long awaited jump start. Canada is now becoming the card holder the US use to be, and the US will be taking Canada's old hand. Canada will be shipping out high priced natural resources, and be importing small goods for it's own nation.

I don't believe Canadians have anything to worry about though(like ever crumbling like the US), because even though Canada will now be heavily supporting the US in all resource needs, and importing more from the US economy, I think it's safe to say it's just business. Look at our countries today. I believe the Canadian government sells out a lot, but they never screw us citizens over.

If the Canadian government was as far up the US gov's ass as we like to preach I think we would be worse off then the US. I also don't believe it is a step towards amalgamation north America because the Canadian gov has become so power hungry since the recession began, and it began snatching up economic trade deals from across the globe that once were given to the US. In a way, Canada has stabbed the US in the back by stealing it's economy, and left the US in a position where it has now become dependent on Canada. The tables have done a complete 180 where the 51st state is now raping the mainland.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Hey, do you Canucks drink raw milk? If you do expect to see swat teams come in and shut that down.

Yes, this is another of the bricks in the wall. I see Egypt coming to the US.

Sovereignty will not be given up. They can try, but it will not be implemented.

My predictions are few and far between. Too much has been exposed. Too many lies, too many fabrications, too many back room deals, too many bribes, now we have a Constitutional Crisis going on with the Obama Care bill. The Administration is STILL subverting the one Court that told Obama to quit blocking the oil exploration.

If I was Canada, I would watch out for your oil sands. Would not want anyone in the NAU to be self sufficient, you Canucks are too comfortable up there. The rest of the world needs some of your redistribution.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The press conference about the meeting is on TV now. They are supposed to discuss Egypt after.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I don't believe Canada is 'too comfortable'. In fact after a lot of research over these past few months delving into the Canadian government, and what it does outside of it's boarders I am quite convinced Canada is quite the corrupt nation, and always has been using the 'peacekeeping nation' as a front for easy infiltration. I have found enough dirt on the Canadian military that supposedly in almost non-existent. All lies.

The one good thing though is that our government was the only nation throughout the global recession that actually took care of, and saved it's citizens. Not only that, but has continually given our economy gains each quarter. Our gov has always made us prosper. I have come to believe Canada is kind of like the 'Mob' family of the G8 nations. She will be good to you, but apparently she can screw you over if need be.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I do agree that we should not go down that road the US did and allow big business, corporations and wall street dictate the rules. We are lucky in Canada to have regulation in place to protect us from the banks and consumer protection in place from industry.

I just see down the road, the US having better and cheaper access to our resources and in return we get cheaper consumer goods which is a lot less important. We already see this in the Alberta oil sands in the form of foreign companies operating and getting canadian tax breaks with little benefit to the residents of Alberta or Canada for that matter. I guess it has created jobs and a booming economy, but we are talking about non-renewable resources. Its the old "profit now" "screw the consequences". attitude.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Tiste because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
There are overtones of North American Union about this, of course, but it is mainly a way to compensate for the ramped up American security state, so that as far as trade goes, things move as smoothly as they did before 9/11.

Here's a quote from the OP's linked article.

John Manley, CEO of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives and a former Liberal finance minister under Jean Chretien, said he hoped that the talks would help the two governments drag their shared border "out of the 19th century and into the 21st."

When it comes to cross-border trade, shipments by train have sped up due to new technologies but trucks moving between the two countries are "still very slow," he said.

"The things that we do on the border in the name of security as well as enforcement of regulations, most of which makes no sense whatsoever, is ridiculous," Manley said.

He's talking politesse but the meaning of what he says is clear, "US security hysteria is a pain in the ass."

Before this deal is done, however, every conceivable angle will have been worked up down and sideways to further every conceivable issue with major power behind it.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiste

Sorry, I don't agree with you on your point that we need the US. It has nothing I want, except for perhaps Disneyland!
Border security? Whose security? We have more to worry about security than the US does. Guns? Drugs? Walmart? Lawyers? GMOs? Ghettos? Thanks, we are already getting enough of that flowing north from south of the border.

Besides, I don't see any moron terrorist sneaking across a windswept mountain or desolate prairie border in the middle of friggin -40 weather to go blow up a building in DC...Sheesh! We all know that 911 was a lie.

This is just a ruse and a diversion tactic from the real issue of the US wanting to absorb us as the next state in the Union. Canada is the world's second largest country in the world with a wealth of untapped natural resources and basically no population to speak of. The US has gobbled up and squandered its resources. We have one of the best economies in the world; while the USA is virtually bankrupt. Compared to the US, we have superior health and educational systems (albeit not best and not without problems).

This deal is a complete and utter scam and Harper has basically sold Canada to the USA for next to nothing today. Just like NAFTA...The US gets the goods and we get the shaft! I wonder what the name of this new country will be? I might be ok with it if the US accepts our morals and values and calls the new country The United States of Canada! In my dreams.......
edit on 4-2-2011 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
If I was Canada, I would watch out for your oil sands. Would not want anyone in the NAU to be self sufficient, you Canucks are too comfortable up there. The rest of the world needs some of your redistribution.

Very true on your first point...but why should we share? This is typical US greedy and bullying mentality. What's mine is mine and whats yours is mine. I saved my lunch money and now Joe RedWhiteandBlue wants to steal mine cause he wasted his!

You think we are comfortable up here? Our ancestors have worked damn hard and long and have suffered a great deal to scrape a living out of this harsh environment.Yet we still come out with more of a sincere "Love thy neighbour" and "Life, Liberty and Happiness" attitude than the hippocrates to the South. We have pinched our pennies and did not rape our resources, took care of our weak and did not go around the world poking sticks into hornet's nests.

Have you all forgotten the cold war when Canada was basically the "meat shield" for the US? Thanks alot and now you want what we have? All I can say is shame on Stephen Hitler...errrr Harper. Everytime the US says "jump"...he says "how high"...Glad I did not vote for him!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join