It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pink steps ‘are the 8th wonder of the world’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I haven't heard of this before, so thought it might be something the members may want to check out for themselves..

metro.co.uk

The Pink Terraces in New Zealand were found 125 years after apparently being destroyed by a volcano.
Scientists spotted the coloured steps in sonar images captured by robots beneath Lake Rotomahana on the North Island.
They were about to call off their search when the discovery was made. The 70m-long (230ft) and 60mwide Terraces were thought to have been wrecked when the nearby Mount Tarawera erupted in 1886, killing 100 people.

The painting from the era shows how beautiful the pink terraces were..

physorg.com

another link ..
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Thanks! Great find.

...now I'm homesick

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Nice find! I love hearing about wonders of the world, but have never heard of this one.
It is refreshing to see some posts that are about the beauty of the world & not death and hatred.
S&F

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
My grandfather did a landscape painting of the Pink and White Terraces just before the eruption! I always wished my Mum still had it...
Vicky
So, it's good news that some have been found!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Very interesting and how beautiful it must of been.

The terraces, located on the edges of Lake Rotomahana near Rotorua, were New Zealand's most famous tourist attraction. They were attracting tourists from Europe in the early 1880s, when New Zealand was still relatively inaccessible and when passage took several months by sailing ship.
The Pink and White Terraces were the only New Zealand example of travertine terrace formations; they were formed by geothermally heated water containing large amounts of siliceous sinter regularly spouting from two geysers located beside Lake Rotomahana and cascading down a hill slope, leaving thick pink and white silica deposits that formed terraces enclosing pools of water.[3] The White Terraces were the larger and more beautiful formation, covering 3 hectares and descending 30 metres, while the Pink Terraces were where people went to bathe.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-2-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
hmm pretty cool! S&F

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

no doubt....

I seemed to have found an actual photograph.

colorized for effect

edit on 4-2-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How cool to see this , i never knew it existed ,nice find

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing! Wow, it looked so beautiful, very unfortunate that it no longer exists.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Amazing! I had no clue.

That is such a beautiful country! truly awe inspiring landscapes from the coastlines to the glaciers.

and that colorized photo is brilliant.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Awesome find

A pity it's gone. However. A great reminder of the breathtaking scenery of "Lord Of the Rings".
New Zealand must be a place of many wonders.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I had no idea this existed..It must have been a beautiful site to behold in its time ..thanks for finding this S&F

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This article gives a decent description of the event that submerged the pink and white steps back in 1886.

sciencemag.org

...In June of 1886, while volcanic activity rocked nearby Mount Tarawera, molten rock oozed upward beneath Lake Rotomahana, triggering steam explosions that blasted numerous holes in the lake bottom. The resulting rock-and-sediment-filled debris blocked the stream flowing from the lake, raising water levels about 100 meters and dramatically expanding the lake's size, says Cornel de Ronde, a geologist with GNS Science, a government-owned research institute based in Lower Hutt, New Zealand.

Now, de Ronde and his colleagues, including researchers from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, have probed the lake with an autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) and found parts of the Pink Terraces. During the 2-week-long field study, the 2-meter-long AUV—essentially a sensor-filled, camera-equipped, programmable torpedo—scanned the lakebed with sonar. It detected long, crescent-shaped features at a depth of about 60 meters in an area where the terraces were known to be located...

If interested in other articles here's a quick link to a news search on the find..

news.google.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Pamukkale, anyone ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c77c6e41d6f4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6266aeb367f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c90907baf68f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ecb5136e04e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82fd2a537d6f.jpg[/atsimg]

www.google.com... oup&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQsAQwAA&biw=1526&bih=758

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

My great granddad rode his horse across them.

reply to post by WestWood

Those are only the 'half of it' though.Aotearoa had the Pink ones as well.

edit on 4-2-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

That is a good looking dog.if you dont mind,tell me a little about the dog.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32
My grandfather did a landscape painting of the Pink and White Terraces just before the eruption! I always wished my Mum still had it...
Vicky
So, it's good news that some have been found!

That's nice. Hey so Englishwoman in New Zealand NOT in the USA please note....what is that supposed to mean I wondering? K thanks

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Nice post Op!
Hopefully we see a lot more stories coming out of NZ soon. A lot of interesting stuff here.

Peace 2 all

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazz-14
Nice post Op!
Hopefully we see a lot more stories coming out of NZ soon. A lot of interesting stuff here.

Peace 2 all

Care to share any, e hoa?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

I think our history for one. There's a lot of evidence coming to light about our past, and hopefully we constructively learn something from it.

Another is all the UFO files that were recently released. Has anyone actually gone through all the info? There's a lot of interesting stuff in there, and they're official government docs, so they should hold some weight.

Also there's a lot of unexplored land in NZ, and there just could be something there. I'm not saying NZ is special, I'm just saying we've got our mysteries too, although a lot of them would probably be considered "out there".

Peace 2 all

edit on 5/2/2011 by Hazz-14 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join