It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sound off on Bad Drivers/Irritating Drivers, where are the worst?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I thought this would be a good place to post messages about all the bad driving witnessed across this dangerous country. I could list many examples of bad driving I've seen recently but will only list a few. One type of bad driver here in South Carolina is the very irritating too courteous driver. This is the driver that will sit at a stop light after it turns green waiting several seconds for someone to turn left right in front of him/her. Dumb courteous driver is holding everyone up behind them and tempting the person waiting to turn left to make a dangerous turn in front of them. It's a wreck situation waiting to happen due to dumb courtesy.

I'll give another example of dumb courtesy that almost caused me to wreck last week. I was waiting at a stop light to turn right. The light turned green and I was waiting for traffic to clear out in front of me so that I could turn onto the side street. I soon turned and suddenly noticed a gap between two of the vehicles on the other side of this road I turned onto. I saw nothing in this gap (I don't drive a tall truck). I start to drive past this gap on the right side of the road, then a car nearly hits me from within the gap from the other side of the road. Darn dumb courteous driver let someone out who couldn't see the traffic coming and made me run partly off the road to avoid them. Fortunately for me they were able to stop before hitting my car in the side. Their car was inches away.

Other annoyances include driving slow in the left hand lane with no intention of turning or passing anyone. I've even seen some drivers stop on a green light. .
Within the last few months I've even seen someone stop in the left hand turn hand when the light turned red (like they should). Then after the incoming traffic went by, they pulled out in the intersection and turned left about a minute or two after the light had first turned red. I could go on and on such as even the lawmakers here don't pass laws to save lives such as letting police make stops for not wearing seat belts. Immediately after this failed to become law, tv news reported a teenager died mainly due to not wearing a seat belt.

Another major irritation is the cell phone driver, driving slower than a drunk driver. I heard that studies indicated that the hands on cell phone driver has a slower reaction time than a drunk driver. Oh well, I guess South Carolina doesn't have one of the highest fatality rates in the nation for nothing. Feel free to rant or state your driving irritations.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm from New York, and while we have bad drivers here, I feel that the worst are in North Carolina, namely the Outer Banks region. I went there last summer with some friends and we almost got into 2 or 3 dozen accidents. No one ever signals there. They run stop signs, so naturally yield signs are ignored. Everyone speeds and double parks. It was really bad, and I would hate to be a bicyclist because everyone rides the shoulder there. If anyone is going to go there, I suggest walking every where.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I can completely agree with anything negative ever said about people who talk on the cell phone while driving. Its the one thing that sends me from calm to raging in like 2 seconds flat. They seem to be everywhere too. I don't see why these people cant just turn the damn thing off while behind the wheel, surely not everyone and their brother is a 24x7 person who needs contsant contact at all times. Hrm, just thinking about this upped my perspiration and pulse, I really should take some measures to keep that road-rage to a minimum.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
anywhere in Michigan.....

the posted speed limit on the interstate is 70, yeah right... if you're going 70 you better stay to the right, I think the average speed in Michigan is about 85-90.... also don't worry about using your turn signals... just go !!

another thing, they don't slow down when they come into Ohio where the speed limit is 65 !

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Quebec. I thought it was just because of the language but I was following a car from there here, going through a small town. Driving slow to start with, we come around a corner and this person slows down and pulls to the right. So what's this guy doing, pulling over? No, he's turning LEFT, into a driveway. I'm assuming this dip is pulling over,so as he makes his turn left, right into my passenger door, I flatten the gas, thankful it was a double driveway, he missed. Anyway, they get my vote.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Interpid

Funny how I could say the same thing about Ontarian drivers I see around here. Can't we just say tourists?

I don't think there is a place where there really are WAY more worst drivers than anywhere else... But if there is, and if I'm ever there...I'm going GTA

Bazooka time...

[Edited on 14-7-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
What gets me the worst are:

People who don't understand that they have the right-of-way. If they would just do what they're supposed to do, there would be no need for any negotiations. If I have a stop sign and you don't, then just GO!! I stop and wave them on, because they never had to stop in the first place, and they look at me like I'm the jerk. If they'd just kept going there wouldn't have been a decision making process for who goes. I guess that falls into the overly courteous driver scenario.

People who don't strap in their kids. I see it all the time... they've got kids of various ages crawling all over the interior of the car and they're just cruising along, turning to reach over the seat to make someone sit down, handing a free-range child over from front to back, all while moving along at highway speed. They seem to have no clue to the fact that these kids are in terrible danger, not only from an accident, but from an accident being caused by their own inattention to the road in their efforts to corral all those kids.

The Fast and The Furious wannabes who have the little cool looking cars but have no real experience driving but THINK they can pull it off like in the movies. There's one in particular in my town. He tries to shoot the gap in front of me, but there's no gap to shoot. Since it doesn't work, he flips me off. I'm driving a beat down Ford Ranger pickup that's 20 years old and looks like the "before" picture for a car makeover show. Automotively speaking, I'm already flipped off! *L* Little snothead. When he kills himself or someone else, it'll be a "tragic teen death", but in reality it's because he's a stain.

new topics

top topics

join