It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things that give you the heebie jeebies but you dont know why

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulos

i have real fears based off plausible things that could happen (heights, spiders...)but the ones that are ridiculous are:
certain noises, styrofoam, chalk, ice & the noises they emit gross/creep me out.
also the image/thought of a beached whale is unbearable to me not so much that i feel bad for it (which i do) but more like it grosses me out to a point that i could barely even type it. beached whale. omg.
edit on 5-2-2011 by fairytale because: add

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulos

In the recent Zeitgeist movie there was a brief image of what appeared to be a dog that had been skinned alive.
More than anything else ever that poor creatures eyelash freaked me out so much I have difficulty getting the image out of my head.

Can anyone reassure me that it was CGI ore something,? I mean it really got to me in a disturbing way and there not much that does.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
What you have written in the OP makes me wonder if perhaps there is a subconscious memory that that color reminds you of... Perhaps something scared you when you were little that was that color and now it creeps you out when ever you see it?

And that reminds me that the spider, snake, etc fears that are shared by so many are likely a part of our evolutionary collective unconscious, held over from eons.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Aaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!" The mere sight of a snake or spider strikes terror in the hearts of millions of people.

A new study suggests that such fear has been shaped by evolution, stretching back to a time when early mammals had to survive and breed in an environment dominated by reptiles, some of which were deadly....

...The research shows that mammals developed the perceptive ability to focus on things seen as threatening, such as snakes and spiders, and to respond emotionally with a feeling of fear.

To reach their conclusions, Öhman and his colleagues conducted experiments in which their subjects were asked to identify pictures depicting sources of fear (snakes and spiders) from among an array of images that did not induce feelings of fear (mushrooms and flowers), and vice versa.

I think a later study was done with babies and the same result held true. Can't find it though.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
I think everyone has one or more things that creep them out, things that they have no control over. My brother hates overweight people. I mean, they disturb him past the point of rational annoyance; he seethes with rage at people he considers fat.

I have a few friends who feel the same way towards fat people: they express this irrational rage and disgust whenever they see someone big. I think it's because of the mainstream - fat people are the only group that it's "okay" to make fun of. In our society it's considered wrong to make fun of someone for something that they can't help, like sexual orientation or skin color, but it's totally okay to make fun of a fat person because they "chose" to be like that (which is obviously ridiculous since some people really can't help being fat).

I know that as a child I had an irrational fear of fat people, but as an adult that manifested itself as a preference for fat men over thin men. That is something that happens rather often: weird childhood fears usually end up manifesting themselves as sexual preferences later in life. I remember reading an article about people who, as children, were terrified of balloons popping. And now as adults they find the popping of balloons to be erotic.

Not to say that all childhood fears end up turning into sexual preferences - after all, we're not all aroused by the boogie man as adults. Hah!

But anyway, back to the OP: since I know absolutely nothing about you or your past, I can't even begin to guess why this light blue color disturbs you. Maybe a doctor or dentists office that you visited as a child was painted that color, or you watched a scary movie in a room painted that color, or maybe even Cookie Monster scared you (he's a light blue color, right? I totally don't remember.) But regardless of what this light blue color reminds you of, it's definitely not a fear in and of itself. As other posters said, the fear of the color is just the way it manifests itself to you, but I'm sure the light blue color is just a reference to something else which is the object of fear.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulos

I believe in reincarnation, I have memories of past lifetimes, and events happening, some not so pleasant. I also know of many people with "extreme, unreasonable fears being regressed under hypnosis---a competent, certified person--- who were able to identify the basis of their fears. When this happens, the fear dissolves, never to return. I'm speaking of extreme unfounded fears. My brother, for instance, was terrified after an earthquake in California. We were close enough to the epicenter to hear the earth move . He freaked out, and eventually used the technique (sic) to reveal that he had been in WW1, and the sound of the earthquake was similar to the bombing he was in back then. After that, he's been fine with. One among many. Oh, yeah, he didn't believe in reincarnation at the time!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

And that reminds me that the spider, snake, etc fears that are shared by so many are likely a part of our evolutionary collective unconscious, held over from eons.

Then you see things like this that gets the head scratching all over

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Please tell me that cobra didn't have fangs!!! Please, please, please! Not that I'm for those people who rake the fangs out of snakes, but when someone let's a baby play with one... well, that's an entirely different situation!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I used to have a job handling venomous reptiles and, generally speaking, the ones I dealt with were not prone to strike - provided that the person handling them was very calm and moved in a slower manner than usual.

Oddly the constricting snakes were way more apt to strike and bite...and chew...God did they chew.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
When washing my hair in the shower, closing your eyes to avoid shampoo getting in. I sometimes get the irrational fear that when I wash out the shampoo and open my eyes, my entire shower cabin has moved to a completely different dimension.....

I know.....it's weird.

Peace

LOL that isn't weird. I am always worried something will be standing there infront of me when I open my eyes.

OP...spiders. They give me the creeps and they always have. No idea why either.

Had to quote this because the same thing sometimes happens to me when I wash my hair! Creeepy...I try to fight the panic to open my eyes before the soap is out but sometimes I just can't resist.

...and about the spiders. I don't hate them but for years this odd thing happens to me. Almost every night since he was born my son and I watch tv together at night. I often fall asleep on the couch. Periodically right before waking I think I am awake and see a very large spider either on me or hanging above my head. It freaks me out and I jump or scream. What the heck is that??? My poor kid isn't even phased by it anymore; the last time it happened I jumped off the couch and ran to the light switch to turn the light on so I could find the spider. He was just sitting there looking at me.....must have looked hilarious from his perspective
Again I am not afraid of them - I won't even kill them I catch them and place them outside. So what is the significance of the spider? Hmmm...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
1. Thinking about fried or boiled eggs - I struggle not to puke. But I really like them when I eat them, no problem with that, I just can't think about it before...
2. Yes, that glimpse of the skinned animal from Zeitgeist. I couldn't breathe for a moment then and then cried hysterically. It is stuck in my head now.
3. People touching the bellies of pregnant woman make me shiver.
I used to have more weird fears as a child - like I would never dig holes in the sand by the beach, because I thought it would expand and suck everything in. But I have never had the "normal" fears, like of hight, dark, snakes, rats, roaches, spiders, deep water, sharks or anything like that.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Its not an actual fear as its never happened and i didnt think about it tell it did happen to my daughter. She hit her big toe nail and it ripped it off. Now even typing this when I think about it it makes my stomach just turn. So if I like look at my nails when clipping them its what I think of so pretty much every time i cut my nails i get grossed out.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Back to the post, Videos and pictures of ghosts always make the hair stand up on my neck.

I remember watching a video on youtube which I later found out was one of those freaking videos where a picture pops up along with a high-pitched blood curdling scream. In this case it was a picture of the exorcist girl.

I was afraid to get on the computer with lights out and door close for about 2 months after that.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have this reaction when there is a drop/rise around me - dont have a problem with heights per say, can go in high buildings, airplanes, rollercoasters etc - no problem.

Freak out if I end up near the edge of somewhere with a drop, or the worst one is driving on a road then there is a drop either side - its very hard for me not to become very disorientated and I have to slow right down (much to the annoyance of truckers on motorways for example)

Other things -
bath sponges / the sound of someone brushing teeth both literally make my skin crawl. In fact just typing that has made my skin crawl thats how bad that is.

Needles - cant watch on telly, talk about it, and when I have the misfortune of a blood test I need wheeling out to recover prone for 15 minutes, but at least I know that stems from a lumber puncture at 8 years old...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Christ dude, reading through this thread we all appear to need some time with Nurse Ratchet !!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Ha ha I don't know who she is but sounds like she would have her work cut out!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by furzball

its this colour. Its more like a light turqiouse

I like that colour!
Vicky

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Not sure why...

But quite often street lights turn off when I walk past or under them.

Not all the time, but enough to make me wonder. A few times a year, more than statistical odds would account for such peculiarities.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Clowns are my number one enemy, I hate them despise them, and will never go near them. But one other thing that gives me pause is dark hallways. Not short ones, but those long hallways like in some libraries for instance. Maybe it's the feeling of okay, I'm in a dark long corridor with two ways out, all alone and who know's what could happen. Tunnels are the same thing, even though I love exploring caves when I get the chance. Both still give me the creeps.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Irrational fears.

Heights. I'm fine with some heights, as i've been in towers, tall buildings, castles and such and i've even done a bunjee jump (180ft) for charity (I had to drink a few pints beforehand, I can assure you)...

But this video:

www.youtube.com...

2:44 is especially horrific...

Scares me... I can barely watch it. I've had reoccurring nightmares of 'waking up' and finding myself clinging to something high up and .... slipping... losing my grip...

eurgh...

--

Also balloons irritate me. Polstyrene makes me feel sick, as does the 'feel' of cotton wool.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Evaux

I have the same hole issue too! I thought I was just crazy. I don't even like looking at sponge toffee (I'll certainly eat it though). Honeycombs freak me out too.

One thing that gives me shivers is seeing a lot of insects in one spot, like when ants all come out of their nest and are all amassed in one spot freaks me the hell out, I can almost hear them.

Oh and clowns are horrible and evil, dolls with eyes too.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join