It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major security gap at Sea-Tac airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Just read a article from the local (Seattle) new station, KOMO 4. Pretty interesting.
Apparently if you work for Sea-Tac (or any major airport, so they assume) Once you get
hired and thru the background checks and all that crap, security, as an employee is pretty
weak.

www.komonews.com...

In the hubbub of a Sea-Tac arrival, you probably never notice. But if you watch the right doors, at just about any time of day or night, you'll see what the our cameras found: A nearly constant parade of Sea-Tac workers carrying bags, backpacks, or purses as they go through. But there are no metal detectors here, no X-ray machines, and those doors lead right into the airport's most secure areas. "We can go anywhere," says an airport worker who asked us to disguise their identity. "Biggest concern that someone might bring a bomb onto the plane and blow it up."

And from a little farther down, for those who don't wanna read the article.

But the Transportation Security Administration insists this is not a weak spot, because they use a multi-layered approach to security. TSA Spokesman Dwayne Baird says, "there are all kinds of people who are always watching what these people are doing." TSA describes those layers: First, all employees get thorough background checks, and they need a keycard and fingerprint to get into secured areas. Then surveillance cameras monitor restricted areas. Behavior detection officers also watch employees. And finally, teams of officers randomly set up checkpoints to screen employees and their bags. We asked how often TSA conducts their "random checks". "We do them continuous, random basis," says Baird. "We don't specify when we do them or where we do them but they're continuing." But in spite of what TSA says, employees tell us once they get on the other side of those employee doors, their bags are never checked.

Apologies if this is long winded or a didnt attribute the source and stuff correctly, first post citing an article.
I implore you, read the whole article. The fact that we have to go thru a ridiculous amount of screening to get on a plane, but one deranged employee can take a bomb to work in a backpack, more then likely not be stopped by the less the regular searches and get literaly anywhere in the airport undetected..and do god knows what when he gets there, well, thats a little unnerving. I Don't agree with the body scanners or the pat downs, but for gods sake make them (the employees) go thru a metal detector or something!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
thats my airport
good find

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

Thanks, Gotta love Twitter!! And yea, Its my airport to! Haha. Im in the middle, so I shoot for PDX when I can tho, little easier to get in and out off, when driving and stuff IMO. But Komo says if this is how TSA conducts stuff at all the airports, well, thats a major flaw :s

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Did I post this in the wrong area or something.. figured you guys would be all over this...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by deanyo

And that same deranged employee could blow up the Pike Place Market, too. They could get on board the Fauntleroy ferry and kill hundreds. They could set off their bomb in Sealth High School.

I'll take the miniscule risk of dying in Sea-Tac over the prospect of living in a paranoid police state, thanks.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Haha, I agree with you, I just was more so shocked that all the hoops we have to jump thru to fly and employee's, who are just as likely to snap and blow something up don't. I don't wanna live in a police state, and as I said above, I think the security measure that are in place (scanners and pat downs are a little over the top) Sorry If I wasn't clear on my stance to begin with..

new topics

top topics

join