It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart draws ire even in poor parts of Brooklyn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Wal-Mart draws ire even in poor parts of Brooklyn

news.yah oo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Wal-Mart's lengthy struggle to open in New York City has hit fresh problems -- a controversial report that said America's biggest discounter does not just sell cheap, it makes neighborhoods poorer.

The report concludes that Wal-Mart, the biggest U.S. private employer, kills jobs rather than creates them, drives down wages and is a tax burden because it does not give health and other benefits to many part-time employees, leaving a burden on Medicaid and other public programs.

The New York City Council will hold a public hearing on Thursday on the impact a Wal-Mart
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
This is an interesting development and study results.

I think many of us had suspected this.

It's sort of a catch-22:

On the one hand, the vast majority of folks who are struggling to make ends meet are usually hunting for the lowest prices to get by. Wal-Mart definitely fits the bill in that regard.

But at what cost to the community, and overall business and jobs?

According to this study, the savings don't supercede the destruction they cause to the surrounding area businesses and well being of the communities in the locations they set up shop.

This could get interesting if more areas stand up for local small business and go head to head with these corporate giants.

Thoughts?

news.yah oo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
At least you don't have to be that bright to work at Walmart.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Wal-Mart blows when it comes down to their selection of goods. I went one day to buy my favorite Thai peanut-sauce by "House Of Tsang"

(Because I like to mix it with my microwavable Thai peanut-noodles I usually buy from there too).

And they didn't stock it anymore. -_-

Boy I tell you I was more pissed off than John Hagey watching Brokeback Mountain.

edit on 2/4/11 by Marked One because: adding a picture

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Wal-Mart is an income sponge.
All of the profits are moved out of the area instead of being returned to the local economy.
It takes local income and exports it to Arkansas.
This is what is wrong with all of America's big conglomerates and chains.
They ultimately remove wealth from the places where they do business and move it to central locations (like a billionaires bank account) where it is not utilized.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

I don't know why but I think it'd be funny if I went up to the display-case there and opened it just to stick my hand in there and remove the sign only to replace it with one that says; "Lock is broken. Five finger discount. Help yourself." lol

(BTW: One time I called Wal-Mart and asked them to page someone for me. They asked for the name of the person I said "Yoque Roberga". (When said fast it sounds like they're saying "Yo quiero verga". Which is Spanish for "I want dick." I even recorded the conversation. I'll have you all listen to it later.
).
edit on 2/4/11 by Marked One because: added something

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
reply to post by EssenSieMich

I don't know why but I think it'd be funny if I went up to the display-case there and opened it just to stick my hand in there and remove the sign only to replace it with one that says; "Lock is broken. Five finger discount. Help yourself." lol

(BTW: One time I called Wal-Mart and asked them to page someone for me. They asked for the name of the person I said "Yoque Roberga". (When said fast it sounds like they're saying "Yo quiero verga". Which is Spanish for "I want dick." I even recorded the conversation. I'll have you all listen to it later.
).
edit on 2/4/11 by Marked One because: added something

Wow you're so clever.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Walmart is asda in the uk. I live in a small town, as a girl i can remember a fishmonger, a couple of greengrocers, a tobacconist !!!, and many other small independents, and also a woolworths which has now gone, in fact, all of the above have gone, we now have a large asda which meets our needs on every score, apart from pharmarcy (which it couldnt get a license for), I am off course being facitious, it desperately saddens me to see these large multinationals destroying all competition, i used to shop locally in the small shops because i beleived in it, however, for every one of me, theres 100 people shopping in walmart/tesco etc. Its so sad, ALSO walmarts not that cheap if you really compare prices.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

S&F this is an important step but I doubt it will stop the beast at this point, they are far too immune to any real solutions as they are the backbone of all corrupt super negotiations and a continuing viral problem.

We in small town USA knew without any expensive whoop la that the big chain stores knocked out all of the local Ma and Pop stores over 12 years ago.

It even disrupted prices in places like Dollar Store and such if they were to keep their doors open. Think about the taxes Walmart pays to the IRS, now think about how those numbers have made insurance and paying taxes almost impossible for the average business owners since they took over and gobbled up smaller communities.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
My mom worked at Walmart for about 5 years before quiting. Honestly, I don't know how she stayed there so long. Every day when she came home, she told us stories of how her manager was rude to her & the other employees. She told me how they would not let her take a lunch break sometimes. She even got a bladder infection several times because she was not allowed to leave her register unmanned to go to the restroom. One of my mom's coworkers was a type 1 diabetic (and a door greeter), they would not let him take a break for a snack or to go to the restroom, either. Eventually, he went into a diabetic coma & passed away
(the family sued & won!)
Anyway, after all this madness, my mom said she could not take it anymore, so she quit a few years ago.

I have never liked Walmart, anyway, so I don't step foot inside. I'd much rather stop at several different stores to get what I need instead of going into Walmart. P.S. I have mild panic attacks when I drive by one (I don't know why, maybe it has to do with the thought of them harassing their employees)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I have seen what happens when Walmart comes to town, there are two small cities in the Thumb area of Michigan that are now ghost towns, one is Bad Axe, Michigan and the other Caro, Michigan which were at one time thriving places, now 99% of the businesses are closed, plus many left these towns because they could no longer get a decent job or dream of opening their own small business.

These happen to be two that I am familiar with but the fact is it has happened all over the U.S. I have never stepped a foot into a Walmart and never will.

Good for Brooklyn.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
well if they build a wal mart in nyc

thatll be the end of the spirit of new york. itll just be another cookie cutter city.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I would like to see a Wal Mart in NYC. Just so they could be stolen blind and mugged while apathetic people stand around and watch.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I live in a small town in eastern Canada. Wal-Mart is the only place in town to buy anything outside basic groceries. You guys seem to have a somewhat different view on things than we do. We consider it to be practically a godsend, since the Royal Stores and HBC shop downtown closed in the '70s. There's a brutally obvious price-fixing racket between the two grocery stores in town, and Wal-Mart can help immensely by having set prices.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I live in a small town that's about twenty miles from the nearest area where Wal-mart could actually make a decent profit. I'm glad of it, too, because there are several family businesses that have been here for generations. I'm not a big fan of Wal-mart and I never have been.

top topics

join