It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gnosticism and famous names

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Many celebrities have taken names that i think reflect a deeper philosophical attitude.

For instance, Madonna is a reference to the 'divine mother'. In a esoteric sense, it refers to instinctive behavior and emotion. Madonna, the singer, is involved in the business of inciting and exciting that innate emotion in man.

Another example is Marilyn Manson. He combined two, completely opposite personalities into his name, probably to reflect his own, dual nature (which he most likely imagines to be a philosophical principle). Marilyn Monroe, a beautful celebrity, and Charles Manson, a sereal killer.

Another example would be Olivia Wilde. She took Olivia Newton John - Sandra dee, a symbol for prudishness, and Oscar Wilde, who represented the complete absence of prudence.

Another one would be lady gaga. Lady would be a reference to a fully developed woman, whereas Gaga refers to a baby. So you have mature, and immature. She, again in her own way seeks to combine the ugly - negative, gaga/manson/wilde, with the good and beautiful, lady/marilyn,olivia.

edit on 4-2-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I would like to add a couple of quotes from Marilyn Manson to your thread.

The name really describes everything that I have to say. Male and female, beauty and ugliness, and it's very American. It's a statement on the power that we give to icons like Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson. It's about paradox - diametrically opposed archetypes.

www.marilynmansonimages.com...

Also this quote from Marilyn Manson.

Marilyn Monroe wasn't even her real name, Charles Manson isn't his real name, and now, I'm taking that to be my real name. But what's real? You can't find the truth, you just pick the lie you like the best.

www.brainyquote.com...

Brian Warner aka Marilyn Manson.
Norma Jeane Mortenson aka Norma Jeane Baker aka Marilyn Monroe
Charles Maddox aka Charles Manson

Edit to add- I personally wouldn't call Charles Manson a Serial Killer considering there was never any evidence to prove that he killed anyone. Although I do realize that he is often referred to as one
edit on 2/4/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
so I wonder what my online name says about me " lucifersjester"

new topics

join