It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new member, and a bit of news.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I'm going to start my first post by saying I think most conspiracy theories are incredibly silly. You might find it odd that I would choose to sign up on a site like this, with a mentality like that. To be honest, I've strayed away from doing so for a long time just for that reason. What finally drove me to register is this site's tagline.

"Deny Ignorance."

A lot of people seem to take this as a cue to declare even the most mundane events as part of some huge conspiracy happening behind the scenes. I'm a firm believer that ignorance can go both ways. I promised you a bit of news, and I'm going to use it as an example.

I haven't seen much mention of it, but thanks to the cold weather sweeping the nation right now, there is a rather large shortage of natural gas throughout the southwest. Here in typically sunny New Mexico, the governor has gone as far as to declare a state of emergency. Many cities in the state have lost power and heating. I've heard from one friend who currently lives in everybody's favorite UFO town, Roswell, that the western half of the town is without heating or electricity.

Now, the stated reason for this is that blackouts in Texas and other such disruptions have caused a rupture in the typical supply of gas this state receives. If I were to play into the common theme among many posts here, I'd now try to connect this to the mysterious Powers That Be.

I'm not going to do that. I'm going to try to remind at least one person that sometimes, things are exactly what they're said to be. Perhaps you're not always being lied to. I'm not going to say the government is by any means perfect, but I will say that a lot of things might be misinterpreted. Take the animal deaths as an example, or even the Yellowstone scare.

When scientists say nothing is wrong, and it is business as usual... they might just be telling the truth. I think the ultimate form of denying ignorance is attempting to fully understand all sides of a given argument. It seems there aren't many who agree with me.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
well hello mr. government official how are you?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
My first reply, and I'm being accused of working for the government. Never change, ATS. Never change.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsBlink

My, welcome to ATS..
Though I'm not sure why you are here after that post..
You may be better off registering at Fox News or something..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hi , and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-ProfileBackgrounds

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

ATS Video Tutorials

Signature Guidelines

Terms & Conditions

Take some time to look around and orient yourself. Feel free to send me a U2U if you have any questions or concerns.

~Keeper—Forum Moderator

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

OOOOOO Herrrooo.

I like you.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

My, welcome to ATS..
Though I'm not sure why you are here after that post..
You may be better off registering at Fox News or something..

Ah, you caught me. It's a little known secret that I aspire to become the next Bill O'Reilly. I still need a little brushing up on how to do it live like he does, though.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yes very good ignorance, your born ignorant into a society that says it has your best intrests, you take for face value untill it craps on you! than you start to see truths, When your in and surrounded by society do you really see all of it, all the deals and handshakes that go on behind closed doors. People blindly walk about in society with really no clue what's beyond there reality, they are the ignorant and they are the mass. It's good to keep an open mind and question authority. question the information.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Ah, you caught me. It's a little known secret that I aspire to become the next Bill O'Reilly. I still need a little brushing up on how to do it live like he does, though.

lol, sad choice...Even Letterman took O'Reilly to the cleaners.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Hey ItsBlink!

I think you're going to do just fine here. Just fine!

Welcome to our little corner of Cyberspace.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr20121221
Yes very good ignorance, your born ignorant into a society that says it has your best intrests, you take for face value untill it craps on you! than you start to see truths, When your in and surrounded by society do you really see all of it, all the deals and handshakes that go on behind closed doors. People blindly walk about in society with really no clue what's beyond there reality, they are the ignorant and they are the mass. It's good to keep an open mind and question authority. question the information.

I never said it wasn't a good idea to question information given to you. I said it was not a good idea to focus on questioning it so much that the situation spirals out of control. There are a lot of interesting things happening nearly every day, but not every one has to signal impending doom. You could call me a skeptic that makes attempts at being impartial. Things are neither truth nor fiction until proper proof has been presented either way.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
There are plenty of skeptics in the community. Did you lurk at all before creating your account? I would doubt it. On top of it, it seems like you're a real class act. Keep the smarm coming!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yes. Not everything is a conspiracy. I enjoy Ats because I see alot of news before it hits the MSM.
For what it's worth Welcome and Enjoy!

iTm.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by schlub
There are plenty of skeptics in the community. Did you lurk at all before creating your account? I would doubt it. On top of it, it seems like you're a real class act. Keep the smarm coming!

I aim to please.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I'm not going to do that. I'm going to try to remind at least one person that sometimes, things are exactly what they're said to be. Perhaps you're not always being lied to. I'm not going to say the government is by any means perfect, but I will say that a lot of things might be misinterpreted.

I'm gonna have to say that you are right. However, even so, without vigilance how are we to tell the difference? With misinformation, disinformation, and downright stupidity, you have to shift through a lot of tihs to get to the important stuff. Still, my mileage read 66633 today and, though I'm about as conspiratorial and esoteric as they come, I did not believe my car was conspiring against me. However, I believe that some of us conspiracists are correct as well. Not everything is a conspiracy, but some things definitely are.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
well, welcome.. lol. hmm.. i'd just like to say, please keep in mind that not all of us a jacked up, beer guzzlin', glassy eyed, blurry vision having nut bag trekkies. and every now and then some one makes some sense. and don't feel bad.. you're not the only government agent here..

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Also if you plan on making it as a skeptic, try to use things like evidence, references, reasoned arguments, etc. Your stream of consciousness post isn't doing you a whole bunch of favors. You basically have the intellectual curiosity of the conspiracy theorists you describe but without the creativity.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by schlub
Also if you plan on making it as a skeptic, try to use things like evidence, references, reasoned arguments, etc. Your stream of consciousness post isn't doing you a whole bunch of favors. You basically have the intellectual curiosity of the conspiracy theorists you describe but without the creativity.

Then don't call me a skeptic. I don't come claiming that I'm going to solve all of the mysteries of the world. I'd rather remind everyone to take everything with a hefty grain of salt. If that fails, then I can still enjoy reading some of the more outlandish things people with that special brand of creativity can come up with.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Then don't call me a skeptic. I don't come claiming that I'm going to solve all of the mysteries of the world. I'd rather remind everyone to take everything with a hefty grain of salt. If that fails, then I can still enjoy reading some of the more outlandish things people with that special brand of creativity can come up with.

Already copping it for your views and you haven't left the intro forum yet..
Now that's ATS hospitality for ya..

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofast

Yes everyone with a conspiracy is high and drunk. Haha you're adding fuel to the fire with you're stereotypes.

top topics

join