It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia sees 800 million in crop loss because of cyclone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

The latest damage to the two key farming commodities brings the total crop losses in Queensland state, the heart of the nation's agriculture sector, to $1.4 billion due to natural disasters in the past six weeks. The state was still reeling from a record flood that wiped out an estimated Aus$600 million in winter crops and also reduced coal exports by up to $2.5 billion, when Cyclone Yasi smashed into its far north Thursday. "This has pretty much capped it off by hitting the top half of the state when the bottom half is still trying to deal with floods," said Queensland Farmers' Federation chief Dan Galligan. Yasi, a category five storm, shredded canefields and felled banana trees as it pummelled the coast around Innisfail, just five years after major cyclone Larry wrought about $1 billion of damage to the region's crops. About 20 percent of the region's sugar crop had been destroyed by Yasi, representing about Aus$500 million in lost production from which it would take farmers several years to recover, said the industry group Canegrowers. "Those farmers must be seriously questioning whether they're going to stay in cane farming," Canegrower head Steve Greenwood said. Australia is the world's third-largest sugar exporter, shipping about 85 percent of its product to Asian markets including Japan, China and Korea in exports worth about $2 billion annually.

it is sad so many things like this are going down
everyday, we see and hear about some tragedy!
weather is getting worse day by day, are food prices
are on the rise.thoughts and prayers go out to the
people of Australia, god be with you. link to story

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
And just when Queensland had the flooding which caused crop damage and deaths we get the cyclone.Which causes even more damage to crops alike.Shows how damaging cyclones and flooding can do to crops.Queensland has had enough they just had the flooding now they are having a cyclone.They don't need all these damages.It just a heartbreaking disaster that has took place.
edit on 3-2-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
When you factor in all the damage being done to US winter crops, it looks like food's going get pretty expensive once the speculators swoop in to make some fast money.

If governments don't step in to stop that crap before it starts, a lot of people will go hungry; allowing that to happen won't be a smart move.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

well you know our government
food prices have already been
on the rise even before any of the
crop loss everywhere.things are getting worse by the day.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Believe it,folks. There is an emerging global food crisis underway. Hoarding,market manipulation and funky weather are creating a boogey man that no one,with the exception of the elite who have their own private food network,is going to be able to outrun.

This is the invisible nightmare hiding behind all of the other problems the planet. I don't want to sound all doom and gloom,but I believe this food situation is going to get worse really quickly given everything I've been reading. Stock up now on what you can,while you can. Doesn't hurt to be prepared. Food is something you can always use,whether for yourself or for trading with your neighbors.
edit on 4-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: wording.

edit on 4-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: wording.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Every time I see shots of the devastation in Australia, it freaks me out. They really got hammered. The weather seems to be very extreme this year, but I may just be saying that because it's snowing where I live and hasn't since I was a small child.

new topics

top topics

join