It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Me As A Canadian Is Laughing At You As An American.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I say this only because of one thing and I am sure Canadians are known for it... snow. It seem right now we just have the cold temps and snow but now that the US is seeing -15F the are freaking... the best thing to do is start your car early in the morning suck it up
I'm just saying i think its funny people have to deal with what we do every winter and this time they aren't prepared.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EricW

Why would they be prepared like we are here up in the North?

This is a strange winter and I feel sorry for those that are experiencing weather that they aren't used to. I would rather have it (even though I hate it) because at least I know what to do.

Could be that we have a heatwave here this summer and we are the ones that are made fun of as we drop like flies.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EricW

-15/-20 is normal for the last two weeks of January up here in Wisconsin...Its my midwinter milestone after these few weeks its all downhill to spring.
That's okay we find plenty to laugh" aboot" you guys too.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EricW

We aren't freaking for the most part.....
However when some states never reach below 34 degrees ever....and are now below -10 yeah it is a big deal. No one is prepared for this type of weather in these areas how is that funny. Canadians are used to the crappy weather and know it will be cold but in some areas of the us its not even foresighted????

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EricW

A Canadian using Ferinheight?

Blasphemy!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
As a Canadian, if we suddenly started having super heatwaves up here (Saskatchewan) with high humidity, I wouldn't know what to do either...typical Eastern Canadian, assuming superiority to everyone else because they have difficulties. Good luck and stay warm my southern neighbours...eh?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
it seems to be more humid here in the summer from 30C to 40C with humidity isn't too uncommon and then winters here are like -20C so i see both ends of the stick every year.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EricW

I wouldn't laugh, people are going to end up dying over this weather in the US and probably Canada too. Plus, what you gonna do when the ice age starts and down in the US they are under 12 feet of snow and we're under 50 feet with encroaching glaciers. We are going to need a place to go, so be nice to our neighbors in the south (all the way down to friggin Ecuador).

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

bahahaah ice age? SOURCE PLEEASE?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The thing is, last year was just like this in Texas, if not quite as bad.

It happens here in the first new moon of the year. It was on the 16 of Jan last year, now on the 30th. We've entered a period in the southern plains like in the 1890's with record setting cold. I don't think it is anything other than the (unknown) rhythms of nature and a period of increasing variation.

Of course, I grew up in rural tx. On the first of October, you put a gallon of peanut butter, a box of saltines, a gallon of water, and some blankets in your trunk (or behind the bench seat of your pickup). You left them there until the 30th of May.

If you didn't use them yourself, you'd probably offer them to someone you found with a busted radiator in an ice storm.

If you had a pickup, you'd add a hay bale; the added weight gives traction on the ice. And if you get stuck, you tear it up and stuff the straw in the mud or ice under your wheels until you can rock back and forth out of the hole.

IF you had a sedan, a big bag of kitty litter worked the same.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by EricW

As a Canadian I call "TROLL". We may be use to all kinds of weather but that does not mean other parts of the world (in your case the US) is. What the hell!? It may be funny to begin with but tell that to anyone who has a family member who dies because of weather that they (either the state OR personally) are not used too! Are you suggesting to be prepared for anything? If so that's a HUGE list that even we as Canadians cannot be prepared for!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
We are all being made fools of by this strange weather that never seems to stop producing freak happenings from birds falling dead out of an evening sky to over two hundred kilometer per hour winds that whip the ocean two blocks inland from the beaches.
Yep we are all looking mighty small and helpless before mother nature....
Somehow i think there is a very important lesson in that.
edit on 3-2-2011 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well this is all relative.

I'm in Texas, I would love to here you complain about how hot it gets in Canada in the summer time.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
We'd love for you to come spend a summer with us here in Central Florida.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by EricW

Well, thanks for laughing at our misfortune, Eric. So far, we had a pipe freeze and then our pump froze and busted. We had to have them replaced and we were without running water for about a week. It was really funny.
My husband has been working his ass off preparing the pump house and surrounding pipes for the past couple nights of below-zero temps, not to mention going out in the middle of the night both nights to check the heater and make sure everything was OK.

Hey, I'll tell you what... When it gets to be 115 degrees at your place, I will not be laughing at you. I will be hoping that you and your neighbors all fair all right and stay cool. I'll even give you suggestions on how to be sure you don't dehydrate or get heat stroke. I have lots of advice on how to keep your pets cool, too.

But in the meantime, thanks for posting this important thread to let us know how you feel.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EricW

No worries...

We may not be used to these temps (and we in fact are not), but we'll improvise, we'll adapt and we'll overcome...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by EricW
I say this only because of one thing and I am sure Canadians are known for it... snow. It seem right now we just have the cold temps and snow but now that the US is seeing -15F the are freaking... the best thing to do is start your car early in the morning suck it up
I'm just saying i think its funny people have to deal with what we do every winter and this time they aren't prepared.

Ontario. I certainly hope you're not in Toronto, as the rest of Canada usually laughs at Torontonians in the winter. No offense Toronto, but I saw a news woman from there yesterday complaining about the deep snow, and it was only up to her ankles. :shk:

Right now Saskatchewan is sitting at zero. 32 F in American. It better get cold again fast, this is a heat wave for here. I prefer -10 celcius to this, unless it's April. For February, this is just messy weather.

If this weather keeps up in the states, I'm sure they'll learn to prepare with good winter tires (mud terrain works good), and house insulation, wrapping plumbing pipes, wood stoves, good boots, etc.

Although the rest of Canada laughs at Toronto in the winter, we don't laugh in the summer. Anyone living in the humid region of the Great Lakes, well, I wouldn't even want to visit there. Brave souls, breathing in half water on hot days. Even with the sometimes extreme cold of Sask winters, our summers (all 3 months) are the best in Canada.
edit on 4-2-2011 by snowspirit because: cannot laugh at Toronto all the time :shk:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Nothing worse then the, we are used to bad weather, so should you crowd.No matter where you are from.

It is about resources because weather affects resources.

If you have a southern state that maybe gets an inch of snow a year, but now suddenly gets 8-10. How many plows do you think they have? Do you think warmer cities have plows and salt hanging around...just in case?

So they are trying to clean up large storms with 4 plows. That causes a problem, don't you think?

Florida has been hit so bad that orange and strawberry prices are gonna shoot through the roof. So don't you think they are worried about their economy?

Its been so cold that older water pipe lines are busting all over the place. The constant snow has torn the roads to shreds. Because unlike northern cities, it doesn't collect and form a packed layer on the roads, it keeps freezing and thawing, causing massive problems.

Our heater died, because we have a heat pump instead of a furnace, and it not meant to work in constant and freezing conditions.

But I am glad that you find people's problems so funny.

top topics

join