It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reports coming of major blackout in Brazil

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
WAIT.....WHAT

Don't tell me it might possibly be the next SHTF like in Egypt.

Hopefully something significant non-violence gonna happen.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Indeed.

What I am saying is that for a solar storm to affect the power grid in Brazil, which is on the equator, places north (and south) would also be affected.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
there should be some update by now you would think,
nothing anywhere, still waiting

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I created a thread about this and other events on our planet and it really conerns me that we are not taking this seriously this is what I found and I hope I'm wrong. It is among many other conerns on ATS.

______beforeitsnews/story/389/347/NASA_Issues_2012_Warning_and_Possible_End_of_The_World.html

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
I created a thread about this and other events on our planet and it really conerns me that we are not taking this seriously this is what I found and I hope I'm wrong. It is among many other conerns on ATS.

______beforeitsnews/story/389/347/NASA_Issues_2012_Warning_and_Possible_End_of_The_World.html

let us pray that we are indeed not going threw
the end of days, although exciting, we would
quickly change our views should tt make its way to our doorstep.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I haven't heard anything other than what Twitter offers.

This blackout is strange. It doesn't seem to be caused by the usual drought or dam failure.

I wonder if it has to do with the geomagnetic storm or possibly even Nibiru.

Does anyone think this could be caused by the effects of Nibiru and that is why these blackouts are only affecting South America?

2012 closes in...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Wow, easy there. No Nibiru, UFOs or Polar Shifts caused the blackout. At least, not this time! ;P

I just didn't notice it because:

1) It happened at the northeast across 8 states and I live in the southeast;
2) It happened around 00:30 and by that time I was already asleep.

First of all, it has been raining a lot in Brazil, which means our hydroelectric power plants have enough power reserves. We have also, recently, become self sufficient with Oil as Petrobras is becoming one of the oil giants in the world and just began to export energy.

Brazil has no problems so far with energy production or with its energy reserves.

That said, the blackout was due to some powerlines going down and causing a domino effect across the northeast.The powerlines were not physically damaged. They just shut down for a while. Power was alraedy returning to the region after a couple of hours.

It could've been just a weird incident.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

do you have links ?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jophiel

do you have links ?

Sure, but it's all in portuguese:
UOL news

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

ugh, but what you posted earlier was the reason for the current blackout? or a previous one?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colton

I wonder if it has to do with the geomagnetic storm or possibly even Nibiru.

Does anyone think this could be caused by the effects of Nibiru and that is why these blackouts are only affecting South America?

2012 closes in...

What??? Are you for real? Some people will not be happy until armageddon is upon us. Spread your end of the world theories and Niburu rubbish in your own threads.

This is probably just another of Brazils blackouts. Quite possibly a major power supply had a failure so electricity was taken fromm another source and caused an overload anda likely domino effect to others.

If the end of the world does happen soon or Niburu suddenly appears, it won't just be in one particular country, it will be a global event!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

Current blackout.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

so ice caused it , and it has been restored? and you speak Portuguese?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Translation of the above Portuguese article:

Almost the entire Northeast region of the country went dark from 23:30 (local time) - 0:30 (GMT) after a problem in transmission lines as yet unidentified sites. The blackout hit at least seven states: Alagoas, Sergipe, Pernambuco, Paraíba, Bahia, Ceará and Rio Grande do Norte.

According to Conti Dilton Oliveira, president of the Sao Francisco Hydroelectric Company (Chesf), it is not known what caused the shutdown of these transmission lines. "The most important thing now is that the cause of the problem is not preventing the restoration of power. I live here in the district of Piedade, sticks in Recife, and the light has returned," said Conti.

The president of Chesf said she did not have exact numbers of which was affected by the blackout. "There was a glitch in the system and still can not identify the cause. Xingó Mills, Sobradinho Itaparica and are back in service and therefore the substations of various states," he added.
"Passing this phase of recovery, we then see the cause of the occurrence," said the chairman of Chesf.
In Recife (PE), much of the power returned about 3 am, local time (4am GMT), but some neighborhoods remained in the dark at about 5am. According to firefighters, the return was gradual and small blackouts minutes. The "JC Online, Pernambuco, says there are reports of looting in Recife. The site also informs that the electricity supply has been normalized in Fortaleza, but the inner cities of Ceará are still without power.
In Paraíba, the supply was restored around 4 am, local time, and twice was a drop in energy for a few minutes.

According to the newspaper's website Bahia A Tarde, Salvador all neighborhoods were without power Thursday night, from 23.30.

The National System Operator (ONS) is meeting in Brasilia and has yet to speak about the blackout.

noticias.uol.com.br...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

so they are not certain what caused the glitch...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jophiel
reply to post by Chadwickus

so they are not certain what caused the glitch...

Ice? No ice. I speak portuguese because I am brazilian. =P See the brazilian flag in my avatar and my location, where it says "Brazil". =)

It was a glitch in the protection/security system. One of the electronic components failed, and the powerplant automatically shut down. The rest is a domino effect, like I said earlier.

Power has already been restablished everywhere.
G1 news

edit on 4-2-2011 by henriquefd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
it is on cnbc now

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Im brazillian and i live on the NE region(Recife,PE)
I can confirm it. Around 23:30(local time,GMT-3)the power went slowly reducing(volts) the house lights reduced intensity and ventilators gradually reduced speed,a few seconds later the power went completelly down.you could tell by looking at the sky that the light pollution had reduced drastically.at first we tought it was only happening at our neighborhood,but major news networks have reported that it has happened along 8 states here on the NE region.

~snake

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I wonder if these blackouts have anything to do with that huge C shaped hole in the Sun that appeared a few days ago...?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Unfortunately, this is commonplace here in Brazil. Something like this happens, nobody knows why (or they pretend to) and life goes on.

I live in the southeast, and the last time we had a blackout, i got stuck in the elevator for an hour and a half.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join