It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld: I should have quit after Abu Ghraib

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Rumsfeld: I should have quit after Abu Ghraib

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON — Former US defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld says in a new memoir that his biggest regret was not stepping down after the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal, US media reported Thursday.

In his book, Rumsfeld -- a lightning rod for criticism during his long tenure at the Pentagon -- defends his handling of the Iraq war and makes no apologies for his major policy decisions, according to advance copies obtained by the New York Times and the Washington Post.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
CORRECTION: You should have been INCARCERATED after Abu Ghraib, along with many other crimes against humanity you and your criminal cabal commited, including the murdering of a hundred thousand plus Iraqis, based on lies and BS you and your cronies bellowed out around the clock to march us into that debacle, which is STILL ongoing.

But instead of "quitting", or ever being held accountable for ANY of your filth, you get to run around free as a bird, signing BOOK DEALS, recieving "Defender of the Constitution" Awards, and continuing to PROFIT off of all the death and destruction you and your henchmen have caused.

Ugh...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Amen. When the full extent of these fascists comes to light future generations will be wondering why we let them live, let alone hold office!

Double Ugh!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Step down from what? His "fake" position or his real power seat? Aw, they can't quit those, I know.
Ugghhh indeed.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

So tragically true. The neocons- and the communists, just keep lurking behind the scenes and popping up later like deadly pennies. About the only hope we have with people like Cheney and Rumsfeld is that they're closer to the next life. Our concern remains with their youngers and the generation that has been or is being infected.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

You've got to wonder how Rumsfeld and all the other war criminals in the Bush administration got away with being prosecuted for their crimes. Watergate, Iran Contra and Clinton's fiasco pales in comparison, yet their was never even any mention of a congressional investigation. It really makes you think what kind of secret agenda and behind the scene forces are running our government.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
He's still alive? He must die soon and then Satan and all his little demons for him!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
He should have been incarcerated for condoning an illegal war. And now he's written his memoirs - to rake in more money from the people.

He's a cockroach. Always was, always will be.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Ugh...

I second this sentiment...there really isn't much more to say.

I would never condone/orchestrate a war for personal gain. I respect human life. But this arsehat gets money off of sending people to do what would be a life sentence upon conviction here in the States.

Hypocrisy abounds in our world and I am not proud of it...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

It would have infuriated the populace had they known the things going on with people trying to get the democrats to do something. There is a video, somewhere, of someone asking John Conyers what they were going to do and when and Conyers incredulously replies "Do you know what you're saying?" I think that was in 2008; nearly 2 years after the democrats got control of the House and the Senate. Their excuse was that they needed "more" democrats. As if they didn't have enough people to impeach or even investigate (like "investigations" aren't completely crooked)
Every damn member of Congress was complicit in the things the Bush administration did and it continues on today. "Being silenced" only covers them so far, and that's not as much as a fig leaf. They've got the money, the connections, and the megaphone (media). If they aren't *doing* something about it, we know where they stand.
Impeach Washington DC. Clear the whole place out down to the janitors and let the trials begin.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

He should have Quit after giving Saddam Hussein chemical weapons.

A lord of war for sure.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs

Impeach Washington DC. Clear the whole place out down to the janitors and let the trials begin.

It won't happen. Too many people think the democrats and republicans are actually working for them. How often do you see posts on this site defending either party?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yeah, that is one of the things that just bewilders me to no end.Folks STILL subscribing to the bipartisan facade, and arguing over which turd in the punchbowl has a more pungent aroma.

It doesn't need to just stop at them either. We need to rehaul the entire paradigm to detach the corporations and Banksters and lobbyists from their CONTROL of the entirely rigged system they set up to rule us with. The puppets are not the root of the problem, their masters are.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

Amen. When the full extent of these fascists comes to light future generations will be wondering why we let them live, let alone hold office!

Double Ugh!

Not likely. Future generations will see the rewritten history that makes Donny out to be the good guy, and we just didn't appreciate him.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I know. I am probably as bad as anyone because I see (deludedly, I'm certain) diluting the power of one "party" by electing members of "the other party" as hope for somehow holding "both parties" at bay, even if it's only temporary. That's hoping against hope that we get to a place where the problem can actually be solved.
I sure hope we don't devolve into the kind of chaos like we're seeing in Egypt, but I don't see people banding together in a professional (expedient word), businesslike way to throw them out, officially.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs

I know. I am probably as bad as anyone because I see (deludedly, I'm certain) diluting the power of one "party" by electing members of "the other party" as hope for somehow holding "both parties" at bay

Vote independent! It is the most effective way to get out of the whole, anti-democratic party system. Politicians spew their experience in Washington as if it is a good thing... it is not, just more likely that they have been bought and sold a higher number of interest groups!

Just look how long good old Rummy has been around!?!

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
well from my mind i think that the Black Water caused the problem.
u c BW is a private military security force , that made deals with gov that they will not be court martialed and US military won't order them around.
the arresst of abu gharib was 2 or 3 i guess and were court martialed for this . but was it really 2 or 3 what about others?
so i think they are BW, i have military friends who were in iraq complaining about their strange illegal actions which gets them pissed that they try to be friendly with unarmed civilians when the BW is talking in racal slurs towards them

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I see Salon.com has written a scathing little review of Rummy's attempt at historic revisionism of his criminality and public image:

Donald Rumsfeld was right about everything, book by Rumsfeld claims

Reviled two-time Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has finally written his memoir. It is titled "Known and Unknown," after a typically obtuse quote he gave to the press while mismanaging the "global war on terrorism." In his memoir, Rumsfeld is settling various old scores, and, obviously, trying to convince everyone that he is not responsible for the various awful failures and fiascoes that occurred at the Pentagon during his tenure in the Bush administration. Like, for example, the whole "Iraq invasion and occupation" thing. According to Rumsfeld, he totally intended to do it right, but stupid President Bush wouldn't let him:

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld says in a new book that he wanted to oversee the initial reconstruction of Iraq following the United States’ invasion of the country but he was rebuffed by President George W. Bush.

"Bush didn’t cotton to the idea," Rumsfeld writes in his yet-to-be-released memoir Known and Unknown, excerpts of which were obtained by POLITICO.

"'What if we had a problem with North Korea?'" Bush asked, according to a scene that Rumsfeld said took place just before the 2003 invasion.

"'Well, Mr. President, if that happened,' I replied, 'I would come home immediately.' The President thought about that for a moment. Then he shook his head. 'No, Don, you need to be here.' I should have pressed the point harder."

Oh, he didn't "cotton" to it. How folksy.

Rumsfeld is also going to release a website full of "primary documents" that he thinks will prove his point. It will be like the WikiLeaks, only instead of pulling back the curtain and exposing American diplomatic and military secrets, they will probably just be a bunch of memos about how much Rumsfeld was "concerned" about the security situation in post-invasion Baghdad. Also I bet there will be a document that says "I promise Donald Rumsfeld had no idea that we were torturing and killing prisoners, signed, everyone at Abu Ghraib."

Speaking of! Rumsfeld says Bill Clinton called him once and said: "No one with an ounce of sense thinks you had any way in the world to know about the abuse taking place that night in Iraq." Yes, well, the people with ounces of sense are completely wrong.

Rumsfeld also apparently devotes a lot of space to rewaging various long-forgotten bureaucratic disputes. There is something about George H. W. Bush, whom he clearly hates. Rumsfeld also wants everyone to know that former Vice President Nelson Rockefeller was "bullying" and an "imperial vice president," which is hilarious for many reasons, including Rumsfeld's closeness to Dick Cheney and the fact that as Gerald Ford's chief of staff, Rumsfeld basically blocked Rockefeller from doing anything.

Now let's enjoy the attempted rehabilitation of Rumsfeld in the press, where his awfulness has probably been entirely forgotten.

Source:

www.salon.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

CORRECTION: You should have been INCARCERATED after Abu Ghraib, along with many other crimes against humanity you and your criminal cabal commited, including the murdering of a hundred thousand plus Iraqis, based on lies and BS you and your cronies bellowed out around the clock to march us into that debacle, which is STILL ongoing.

But instead of "quitting", or ever being held accountable for ANY of your filth, you get to run around free as a bird, signing BOOK DEALS, recieving "Defender of the Constitution" Awards, and continuing to PROFIT off of all the death and destruction you and your henchmen have caused.

Ugh...

Some quotes are worth repeating.
This is one of them.

new topics

top topics

join