It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House, Egypt Discuss Plan for Mubarak’s Exit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What is Obama and this White House really up to ?

White House, Egypt Discuss Plan for Mubarak’s Exit

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is discussing with Egyptian officials a proposal for President Hosni Mubarak to resign immediately, turning over power to a transitional government headed by Vice President Omar Suleiman with the support of the Egyptian military, administration officials and Arab diplomats said Thursday.

President Barack Obama on Thursday. The White House is in discussions to find a way out of the crisis in

Even though Mr. Mubarak has balked, so far, at leaving now, officials from both governments are continuing talks about a plan in which, Mr. Suleiman, backed by Sami Enan, chief of the Egyptian armed forces, and Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi, the Defense Minister, would immediately begin a process of constitutional reform.

The proposal also calls for the transitional government to invite members from a broad range of opposition groups, including the banned Muslim Brotherhood, to begin work to open up the country’s electoral system in an effort to bring about free and fair elections in September, the officials said.

The proposal also calls for the transitional government to invite members from a broad range of opposition groups, including the banned Muslim Brotherhood?

Still I can't wrap my mind around what is actually happening,
Obama refusal to get involved in Iranian issues, but his obsession with Egypt.

Why?
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 072828p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Why would Obama be involved with Iran? There is no reason the Iranians would listen to Obama, or take his advice.

Egypt is a different case. The US government gives billions to Egypt in aid. We have invested, trained, and interacted with the Egyptian military apparatus. Obama has some influence in Egypt. Some incentives are in place for the Egyptian power structure to listen to him. No such incentives exist in Iran. In fact, quite the opposite. US covert actions in Iran have made it clear that the US will use any means to bring down that government. The Iranians know the US is trying to destroy them. What reason would Iran have for cooperating with the US? Can you blame them? Why would you want to be under a dictator like the Shah, or Mubarak? That is the type of government the US puts into power.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Mubarak turned down invitations by former President George W. Bush during the past five years because of U.S. policy in Iraq, and mostly because of the Bush administration's pressure on the Egyptian regime on human-rights issues.

After Obama's conciliatory speeches to the Muslim and Arab world, Mubarak changed his policy. It also helped that Mubarak recognized that at this stage the Obama administration does not intend to press Egypt on human rights.

Mubarak will seek clarifications from Obama on his policy toward Iran and the nature of the dialogue with the Islamic Republic. Egypt does not oppose Iran's acquiring of nuclear technology if it does not produce nuclear weapons. The Egyptian leader intends to make clear that Cairo's policy on Iran's nuclear program is the same as toward Israel: Egypt favors a nuclear free Middle East.

Cairo is concerned that Obama will offer Iran a political status that will make it a major player in the Middle East.

There seems to be a deeper issue here, only going back into the past will solve,

Some of the pictures I have seen with Obama and Mubarak seem tense, and they seem to be at odds with one-another.

Mubarak wants Obama to present his peace plan soon
Egyptian foreign minister says president would seek to influence plan, drop Arab normalization clause.
www.haaretz.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

February 20, 2006

I think America was instrumental in what Iran has become also, but you raise valid points.

Aid to Iran . . .

IS IT A SIGN OF increased wisdom -- or is it a sign of increased desperation? If the Bush administration had announced its intention to spend $75 million on promoting democracy, student exchanges and independent media in Iran several years ago, as part of a wider policy of promoting democracy in the broader Middle East, the policy would have seemed unquestionably wise. To many observers, it has always seemed odd that American efforts to support dissidents in Iran -- one of the few Middle Eastern countries with a broad, diverse and educated democratic opposition -- have been so slim. Usually, the excuse given was historical: American diplomats, queasy about the United States' mixed record of "meddling" in Iranian politics, didn't want to discredit the country's democrats by association, or give the regime another excuse to lock them up. Still, the arguments at least for better Farsi radio and television programming have always been incontrovertible: Iranians do listen to foreign media, but until now they've had mostly pop music stations and third-rate news programs to choose from.

www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 082828p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Could it be that the plan is to allow new, but volitile, governments into the middle east,
just so that in the very near future, the US will have to step in militarily?

After all Iraq and Afghanistan are moving toward pulling US and coalition troops out,

and the military-industrial-complex need some fresh wars?

Just a slightly more complex set of chess moves?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
what does this mean drop Arab normalization clause?

After Obama's conciliatory speeches to the Muslim and Arab world, Mubarak changed his policy. It also helped that Mubarak recognized that at this stage the Obama administration does not intend to press Egypt on human rights.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Obviously there is something we don't know, and I don't think it has anything to do with human rights.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The Atlantic reported:

We have spoken out on the need for change. After his speech tonight, I spoke directly to president Mubarak. He recognizes that the status quo is not sustainable and that a change must take place. Indeed all of us who are privileged to serve in political positions of power do so at the will of our people. Through thousands of years Egypt has known many moments of transformation. The voices of the Egyptian people tell us this is one of those moments; this is one of those times.
www.theatlantic.com...
Now, it is not the role of any other country to determine Egypt’s leaders, only the Egyptian people can do that. What is clear and what I indicated tonight to President Mubarak is my belief that an orderly transition must be meaningful, it must be peaceful, and it must begin now.

It is not the role of any country to determine Egypt's leaders,
wait I changed my mind?

www.ynetnews.com...

Mubarak believe Muslim Brotherhood threat to Egypt, will make it a religious state.
edit on 082828p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Stormdancer, that article is from 09.

It is relevelant still mixed into the ATM happenings.

At that time, Mubarek wanted Obama to present a peace plan for the ME.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak left for Washington on Saturday for his first visit to the American capital in five years. In a meeting on Tuesday, the 81-year-old leader is expected to propose to President Barack Obama that he quickly make public his comprehensive peace initiative and not wait for Israel's decision on the settlements.

Egypt's Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit has said that Mubarak will be able to influence the American peace plan, as well as the way the negotiations are carried out.

In an interview with the state-run daily Al-Ahram, Aboul Gheit detailed Egypt's position that Israel should immediately freeze construction in the settlements and restore conditions in the West Bank to those before the second intifada, which means pulling back the Israel Defense Forces

www.haaretz.com...

Obama is however at the same time, expressing that reaching out to "a broad cross-section"

of radical Islamic groups, and The Brotherhood?

A White House official said the Obama administration was reaching out to a "broad cross-section of opposition and non-governmental actors."

U.S. officials hadn't had direct contact with Mohamed ElBaradei, the 68-year-old Nobel Peace Laureate behind whom the opposition, including the powerful Muslim Brotherhood, has coalesced.

The Obama administration dispatched a former ambassador to Egypt, Frank Wisner, to Cairo to press for democratic reforms, officials said, another sign the U.S. was taking a more hands-on role in trying to end the crisis.
www.zawya.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Thu, 03 Feb 2011

:
www.earthtimes.org...

Tel Aviv - If the "revolution" to oust Egyptian President Hosny Mubarak succeeds, Egypt will hold a referendum to decide the fate of its 1979 peace treaty with Israel, Israel's Channel 10 television quoted a Muslim Brotherhood official as warning Thursday.

"Israel has nothing to fear but its own crimes," Muslim Brotherhood spokesman Assam el-Erian told the channel.

But he also gave reassurances that the Brotherhood was a "non- violent" and not an extremist organization.

Israel is following the unrest in Egypt closely and with concern, fearing it could jeopardize its 31-year-old peace with the regional super power to its southern border.

Israeli officials have warned of a scenario in which Muslim extremists who might decide to discontinue the peace with Israel could assume power in Egypt.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Muslim Brotherhood seeks end to Israel treaty,
edit on 092828p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Yes, I am purposely looking for older articles,

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Ok I follow you.

Good work, carry on.

The last several years of relations are important to the moment.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
June 2009

Obama's Stealth Middle East Peace Plan
voices.washingtonpost.com...

Richard Beeston and Michael Binyon wrote in the Times of London: "America is putting the final touches to a hugely ambitious peace plan for the Middle East, aimed at ending more than 60 years of conflict between Israel and the Arabs, according to Jordan's King Abdullah, who is helping to bring the parties together.

"The Obama Administration is pushing for a comprehensive peace agreement that would include settling Israel's conflict with the Palestinians and its territorial disputes with Syria and Lebanon, King Abdullah II told The Times. Failure to reach agreement at this critical juncture would draw the world into a new Middle East war next year. 'If we delay our peace negotiations, then there is going to be another conflict between Arabs or Muslims and Israel in the next 12-18 months,' the King said....

"The initiative could form the centrepiece for Mr Obama's much-anticipated address to the Muslim world in Cairo on June 4. A peace conference could then take place involving all the parties as early as July or August...

"'What we are talking about is not Israelis and Palestinians sitting at the table, but Israelis sitting with Palestinians, Israelis sitting with Syrians, Israelis sitting with Lebanese,' said the King, who hatched the plan with Mr Obama in Washington last month. He added that, if Mr Obama did not make good his promise for peace, then his credibility would evaporate overnight.

"The Israeli Government has so far rejected any moves that would lead to a two-state solution, the creation of a Palestinian state living side by side with Israel, but the King insisted that what was being proposed was a '57-state solution', whereby the Arab and entire Muslim world would recognise the Jewish state as part of the deal."

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Ok I follow you.

Good work, carry on.

The last several years of relations are important to the moment.

I am kinda disheartened, losing the stomach for this sort of thing, if you know what I mean, but I am curious to see if my intuitions are correct.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
C'mon girls!

Do both of you who are two intelligent women really think and buy into this BS that the Muslim Brotherhood Boogeyman - a small minority in Egypt, will manage to radicalise the rest of secular Egyptian people and their quite modern youth to become an Islamic state with sharia laws?

Have any of you been to Egypt btw? I have!

If you were discussing Yemen, I could very well understand your worries because Yemen is a completely different animal - but Egypt being taking over by the Brotherhood?

Sorrry ladies, but I really don't think that is possible anytime in the near future.

That's my opinon anyway!

What I see coming from the US and Mubarak is just the same old scaremongering sham about the boogeyman!

These elite people are making a fortune in profit with their multibillion dollar $$$ WarOnTerror industry machine, just look at chertoff/the Israelis and the X-ray/scanner machines to all airports - and what about The Carlyle Group, Halliburton, the military industrial complex and all other people & corporations and war profiteers who are making their fortunes on this scheme? :shk:

Don't you guys see that this is just the biggest business scam and heist in history?

And that most of the world leaders are involved with this scheme in one way or another!

They need to keep the Boogeyman alive!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
U.S. Pressure on Mubarak Opens a Rift With Arab Allies
online.wsj.com...

Egypt

Many are asking who started the riots in Egypt around Jan. 25, 2011, including Walid Phares on Fox News. Phares stated that he believed it was bloggers on Facebook who began the riots.

In April of 2010, a weekly magazine aiming to link Arab bloggers with politicians, the elderly and the elite was launched in Egypt. The weekly Wasla – or “The Link” – is being heralded as a first for the Arab world, with plans for articles by bloggers as a way of giving them a wider readership.

Wasla is published by the Arabic Network for Human Rights Information and is financially supported by the Open Society Institute created by none other than George Soros.[25]
keywiki.org...
In the 1st edition of Wasla, the cover featured Mohamed ElBaradei. ElBaradei is Wasla's chosen candidate and he is also supported by the Muslim Brotherhood and Iran. George Soros and ElBaradei both sit on the Board of Trustees for the International Crisis Group.

Just thought this was interesting.

Why Obama has to get Egypt right

By George Soros
Thursday, February 3, 2011

www.washingtonpost.com...

weird

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Well actually I am looking for something that is less obvious.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Chev,

I heard yesterday from some folks from Egypt.
They were on the indside...and they are not learning events from the msm..

they are living it.

Try to understand thiere are many perspectives here...
You can not trust the mainstream media on this one.

Edit to add the three letter agencies did not create hamas, or the MB, or AlQueda.

They infiltrated them.

edit on 3-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Who has the most powerful military in the middle east?

Egypt apparently has one of the most powerful forces in the world.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
And where is Ahmadinejad?

He is never silent, I would have expected him to be vocal about this situation.

Iran's parliament ousts Ahmadinejad's ally
By Associated Press ,

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad faced another sharp rebuke from opponents in parliament Tuesday as lawmakers dismissed his transportation minister in the wake of several deadly plane crashes in the country.
topnews360.tmcnet.com...
The vote highlights the growing political fissures between Ahmadinejad and former conservative allies in parliament who accuse him of overstepping his powers, not being transparent and mismanaging the economy.

Ahmadinejad appears in no danger of being toppled, but his critics could step up attacks before parliamentary elections early next year. The voting will mark the first key political test for Ahmadinejad's opponents since the turmoil after his disputed re–election in June 2009.

In November, dozens of Iranian lawmakers signed a petition seeking to make Ahmadinejad the first president to be summoned for questioning since the Islamic Revolution (News - Alert) 32 years ago. But the effort was abandoned to avoid a potential political crisis as the government began unpopular cuts in food and energy subsidies.

OH, summoned huh?

In Egypt and Tunisia, Lessons for Autocrats Everywhere
www.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join