It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New US Consulate Warden Message for Guadalajara

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The following is self-explanatory:

United States Consulate General Guadalajara
PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO

AS MANY AMERICAN CITIZENS AS POSSIBLE

SUBJECT: SECURITY UPDATE

Date: February 03, 2011

BEGIN TEXT.

Warden Message

This Warden Message is being issued due to a marked escalation of criminal activity in the Guadalajara metropolitan area and includes updated safety recommendations for all U.S. citizens residing or traveling in the Guadalajara area.

On the evening of February 1st, beginning at approximately 8:45PM, a series of road blockades were set up in various sections of the Guadalajara metropolitan area. The blockades consisted of buses, trucks and cars being forcibly commandeered and set on fire. One of the blockades was installed on the Chapala highway between Guadalajara and the airport at the same point that was targeted on the evening of Saturday, January 15th.

In light of the changing security situation, the U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara has now prohibited U.S. Government officials from travelling after dark between Guadalajara and the Guadalajara International Airport and recommends that U.S. citizens consider similar precautions. The Consulate General's prohibition on intercity travel for U.S. Government officials after dark remains in force.

Additional safety recommendations:

· Make every attempt to travel on main roads during daylight hours, particularly the toll ("cuota") roads which generally are more secure;

· Delay any travel if media reports road closures due to police or emergency responder activity;

· If the road in front of you has been blocked due to a security incident or natural disaster, attempt to return to your point of origin using available alternate routes;

· If you are presented with an imminent threat on the road, do not hesitate to run over any median (or similar obstacle) to make an emergency U-turn to get out of harm's way;

· If physical barriers along the road prevent emergency evasive action in any direction, locate a restaurant, shopping mall, hotel, or another business establishment where you can temporarily remove your vehicle from the road and take cover until the road is clear;

· If you are driving or walking and you hear or see gun fire and/or explosions, take immediate evasive action, get down on the ground or behind a solid barrier (engine block, tree planter, etc.) and evacuate the area as soon as it is safe to move;

· Always call "066" (equivalent of 911 in the USA) immediately if you are exposed to a life threatening situation requiring emergency police or fire responders.

U.S. citizens resident or traveling in Mexico are urged to enroll with the U.S. Embassy or nearest U.S. Consulate via the Department of State's on-line registration service through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) located at travel.state.gov.... Travel registration allows the Department of State to contact its citizens in the event of an emergency and to provide up-to-date safety and security information. Registrants wishing to receive such information must provide an e-mail address with their registration. All registrants are urged to provide complete contact information and a departure date when completing their registration on-line.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs internet web site at travel.state.gov..., where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States and Canada or, for callers in other areas by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara is located at 175 Progreso Street; Col. Americana, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara's telephone number is 011 52 33 3268 2100; the fax number is 011 52 33 3825 1951. For after-hours emergencies, please call 011 52 33 3268 2145.

The U.S. Consular Agency in Puerto Vallarta is located at Paseo de los Cocoteros #85; Sur Paradise Plaza, Interior Local L-7, Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, C.P. 63732.

The U.S. Consular Agency in Puerto Vallarta's telephone numbers are 011 52 322 222 0069 & 011 52 322 223 3301; the fax number is 011 52 322 223 0074. For after-hours emergencies, please call 011 52 33 3268 2145.

END OF TEXT.

U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara

175 Progreso Street; Col. Americana

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

011 52 33 3268 2100

guadalajara.usconsulate.gov...
The Consulate office hours are Monday through Friday

from 08:00 a.m. to 04:30 p.m. (except for Mexican and U.S. holidays).

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

Things are kind of heating up in different parts of the world. My own city has seen two such blockades about two months ago a couple weeks apart. All five highway entrances into Morelia, Michoacán were blocked for several hours by similar means. For the most part life goes on as usual but at times things get a bit heated up.

Having the largest drug-consuming nation to your northern border always helps keep life exciting.

Mexico was a very popular place for Americans to visit during Alcohol Prohibition era. I would rather see narco tourism than narco war. To each his own I guess. Baja Amsterdam at your southern border. The government lacks vision for now. Someday perhaps.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I was Born in Guadalajara but raised in Chicago. My cousin was telling me about the happenings in GDL last nite, I was shocked but not surprized. Mexico needs a good revolution I think hehe

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen
I was Born in Guadalajara but raised in Chicago. My cousin was telling me about the happenings in GDL last nite, I was shocked but not surprized. Mexico needs a good revolution I think hehe

We may be about due. 2010 was the Bicentenniel celebration for Mexico, a double affair. Mexican Independence came 200 years ago in 1810 and 1910 is recognized as the Mexican Revolution. A little house-cleaning every 100 years appears to be the norm. If something happens give or take a couple years we can keep it on the "10" year for fiesta purposes. Really, this conflict started a few years ago and hasn't reached a final outcome yet.

I really think if the government looked at this more as an opportunity they could do a bang-up tourism business like Amsterdam but with nicer weather. Instead they want to pursue it as a war. Where is the enterprising spirit?

edit on 3-2-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Surprisingly many of the hot spots were considered good relocation/retirement places for those wishing to stretch out their life's savings.

Personally, I do believe Americans can help by opening up to the idea that unless we can secure the border than we need to legalize C. sativa. Seriously, this is the main reason there is an internal war because there is a vast amount of money involved. I realize C. sativa is not the only "plant", but it is by far the most moved "plant" across the border and it is the most harmless/natural one. Slowly open the doorway so that people can make their own choices in life, good or bad; but most certainly remove the feeding of the Cartels so that Mexico can once again control this Negative Element called Money!

Where is Janet? Is she still in Afghanistan with a contingency of Border Patrol Agents training them how to control their borders? I think she needs to be in Guadalajara right this very minute, with a big Red, White, and Blue bumper sticker!

Wake up America!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

I believe you are right. Even though Mexico has taken over some or most of the Colombia trade it is still considered c. sativa is by far the largest part of this industry.

The governments need to lighten up about this issue but I believe the unrest all this creates serves a larger unspoken agenda. I suspect all this has more to do with erosion of privacy expectations. Public opinion about all this is changing though. More and more say, "just give it to them." Most realize the greatest or perhaps only danger involved is the one created by the illegal market.

Once c. sativa war is given up I believe the rest of the problem will be minor or at least easier to deal with. More people would be onboard with the agenda if that part of the focus was changed.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The aim of these blockades is to sieze control and disrupt activity. My city of nearly 1 million population had been blockaded twice in about two weeks back in Nov/Dec. I wasn't caught in them but know that the highways were closed off for several hours leaving traffic backed-up for miles.

The trick is to avoid being one of the first in line when a blockade is forming. That is when your vehicle might get selected to be one the bright and burning stars of the show. Mostly, though, they are burning busses and trucks but your Jetta may be used to plug up gaps in the blockade where needed.

No personal harm is cited in this Consulate Message but some incidents have been known to occur. It would seem the instigators are becoming more adept with their exercise. If one cooperates fully they are not likely to be harmed. It appears the instigators use "firm but gentle" means. The intention is obviously to create an inconvenience. If you are fortunate enough to see and avoid the traffic jams ahead it would be advisable to find a restaurant/cantina and spend the next few hours cooling your heels.

The purpose for these? That leaves room for a lot of speculation. the Consulate Message just says "criminal activity" without stating a type or intent. It could be assumed the instigators are a large and organized group. That their intent is soley to disrupt activity it would be assumed they are "lobbying" government to give consideration regarding their areas of interest.

I would be curious, what are their demands? That question is not being addressed, we can only speculate. They are making a loud if not yet persuasive appeal for their cause. What motivates actions as this? Who is this in both Morelia and Guadalajara?

new topics

top topics

join