It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tonight may not be a good night for the protesters in Egypt.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Its very quiet right now in the square in Egypt. Many tweets coming through from people there that the payed thugs and security police are setting up for one final crackdown before the big march tomorrow. They took care of most of the journalists today and the army has abandoned the area. If they do this, I doubt it will help the government in any ways. There are no live pics of the square anymore. (that I know of, I dont have a TV)

Hope they can be ok.

List of Journalists beaten or detained.

abcworldnews.tumblr.com...

Other than that people are saying its very quiet, peaceful and cozy there right now.
edit on 3-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

EDIT: apparently the government is even infiltrating twitter. So some of these tweets are to scare protesters. Apparently the army is still there and useless as usual according to one girl I follow.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

The quiet before the storm!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Things are going to get worese before they get better that's for sure.
I hope that somehow less lives will be lost, but the people need to have their basic human rights and should fight for it.
I think tomorrow after midday prayer things are really going to kick off. Just hope the city doesn't burn.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I think and hope you are wrong.

With todays announcements and messages from many world leaders concerning the organised pro government attacks and the treatment of the world press in their endeavours to report the events to the rest of the world and the underlying theme of the actions being "unacceptable" and that those responsible would be personally held accountable, I think further offence against the peaceful protesters beyond individuals actions would be the most stupid move possible.

The internet is back up and running over there for now and word of TRUTH is spreading. Tommorrow will hopefully be the gretaest day for these Egyptians fighting for their freedom from decades of oppression and with the immediate departure of the current president a new dawn will arrive in a troubled country. A message is being sent around the world, a message of hope for every one of us that we do not have to live under corrupt governments and the henchmen they employ.

Much work will need to be done and it will take years to sort out, but surely peace must be accepted to come at a price but a price those brave people are willing to take.

I hope they are safe tonight and I have AlJazeeraLive on youtube running 24/7 at the moment to keep up to date.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Yes I edited my post.

mosaaberizing Mosa'ab Elshamy
I've just walked around Tahrir. No trucks shipping thugs, no people getting slaughtered, and the few thugs on the bridge are bored.

Fear is the tool they use of course.

link   
the protesters are even heistant to give up the square tomrorow to march... they dont want to lose their ground.

i agree.. theres a very real chance for violence again tonight from pro mubarak troops
edit on 3-2-2011 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

link   
I too noticed that there are no more live feeds anywhere to find right now... Kinda worries me too...

Edit: CNN is showing Nile TV which has a split screen again.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 3-2-2011 by HedyLamarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The really weird thing for me is that I was there a few weeks ago in those same places. My wife and I had avoided it for years, but I finally said, 'Screw it! Let's just go!" So we did the Egypt, Sianai, Jordan, Israel schtick. Now this.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I know that CNN is not showing live pictures.. Will check out Fox and BBC later. I was under the impression that the media are protected by an international peace treaty - if so, why has this been broken and by whom - protestors? Mubarak supporters? The city is going to burn if this isn't stopped now!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

The protesters want as much media as possible. They have been jailed and attacked by the Police force and Plain clothed Mubarak Thugs.

Its obvious they've been targeted in the past 2 days to not get what the government wants out.

Here is a list of Journalists. That have been attacked and/or jailed

abcworldnews.tumblr.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
The really weird thing for me is that I was there a few weeks ago in those same places. My wife and I had avoided it for years, but I finally said, 'Screw it! Let's just go!" So we did the Egypt, Sianai, Jordan, Israel schtick. Now this.

Ah ha...you are a rabble-rouser eh?

Seriously though, this situation does not look good.
Friday could be bad...
edit on 3-2-2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I thought it was Murabak thugs - thanks for the links. I wanted to confirm that it wasn't any of the protestors - I am so afraid for them.

I wonder if there are any stats on how many thugs are out there? I don't have a good feeling about tomorrow in Egypt which occurs before I go to bed - I stay up late.
edit on 3-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I don't have a tv but I hear that Al jazeera has the best coverage which you can stream online. I been stuck to it for the past week lol.

Apparently they are the most targeted out of all the journalists.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
AlJazeeraLive on youtube 24/7

They have live coverage throughout the day with occasional alternative programmes in between.

If anything important happens they will tell/show you.

They have had fantastic coverage with reports, interviews, statistics etc.

I have it going non stop, even in the background when doing other stuff.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I will definitely be watching Al Jazeera - hope they don't have problems as they did the past couple of days.

Its early for sunrise but think I will check out the broadcast right now.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The attacks on the media are the precursor to a crackdown.

Mubarak or some ally of his will call the Egyptian military away from the city so that the Egyptian police can do a Chinese style crackdown on protesters.

And the pesky media won't be there to witness it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Maybe the military will disobey the orders to demobilize, knowing the reason for that order, and hold their position and protect their people.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vikus
The attacks on the media are the precursor to a crackdown.

Mubarak or some ally of his will call the Egyptian military away from the city so that the Egyptian police can do a Chinese style crackdown on protesters.

And the pesky media won't be there to witness it.

The crackdown started days ago when government employed thugs were sent in to confront the peaceful protesters, police, convicts and who knows who else have apparently been assured money if they did a good job.

The press are supported internationally and trying to eliminate all but the state reporters from the scene would be a hypothetically suicidal move by the government knowing the outrage the incidents so far have caused.

Remember that the military in Egypt are supported to the tune of about 1.5 billion U.S. dollars every year and after the recent warnings, announcements and reports concerning the need to protect the peaceful protesters not only by U.S. spokespersons but international leaders in general, I cannot see the military leaving. They may not be acting much at the moment but in the last couple of days they have done a little more in the way of keeping opposing sides apart, detaining people taken to them for saftey and removal and placing vehicle barriers to cordon off certain areas and access points.

Whoever is in charge of the Egyptian military involved knows full well who funds them and removal of the forces would put that funding in jepordy for the future.

Power of the people will always win eventually when so many with such passion and the willingness to die for it are determined to make a change after so much oppression. Egyptians are smart, they have a dumb government, I think and hope I know who will win.

The only bad side to this may be what the U.S. government will do to get what they want when it comes to electing a new government. Democracy eh?
edit on 4/2/2011 by nerbot because: spellig mistale

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I was wrong it was a good night

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

True.

But tonight may be very different after friday prayers ets.

new topics

top topics

join