It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Sugar REALLY Destroying You?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think everything is ok in moderation, though we need to really worry about what we are eating/drinking. It's amazing how much junk exists nowadays. Perhaps that's why we need more doctors! And speaking of doctors, has anybody seen Royal Pains? Each week on Thursday at 9/8c there is a new medical mystery and it's so interesting to see if Dr. Hank can actually solve the issue. Some of these conditions I didn't even know existed until I started watching the show. I love when I can learn and be entertained at the same time. You can catch it tonight and I'd love to hear what you think!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypervalentiodine
And of course they gained weight - your body stores excess glucose as glycogen, which presents as an increase in weight.

While it's true that glucose the body stores glycogen, in the muscles (about 400g) and the liver (about 100g), it's pretty ridiculous to attribute weight gain/loss to glycogen stores. Considering the small percentages of glycogen in muscle (about 1%) and the liver (about 10%), any fluctuation in weight could easily be attributed to water retention/excretion.

Your body also stores excess glucose as in fat cells. It does so by converting glucose to fat in the liver. The byproduct of fructose metabolism IS fat, or VLDL Triglycerides. Those triglycerides, in excess, are then shuttled to the fat cells by insulin that was spiked by glucose.

So...most increase in weight was the direct result of consuming fructose and glucose.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

While it's true that glucose the body stores glycogen, in the muscles (about 400g) and the liver (about 100g), it's pretty ridiculous to attribute weight gain/loss to glycogen stores. Considering the small percentages of glycogen in muscle (about 1%) and the liver (about 10%), any fluctuation in weight could easily be attributed to water retention/excretion.

Your body also stores excess glucose as in fat cells. It does so by converting glucose to fat in the liver. The byproduct of fructose metabolism IS fat, or VLDL Triglycerides. Those triglycerides, in excess, are then shuttled to the fat cells by insulin that was spiked by glucose.

So...most increase in weight was the direct result of consuming fructose and glucose.

That was more or less what I meant. Apologies for the slight inaccuracy, it's been a couple of years since I had to concern myself with the science of metabolism.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

edit on 16-9-2011 by DeeryLou because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join