It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Sugar REALLY Destroying You?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by jupiter869

Good grief, in moderation it is fine. Certainly more so than the artificial sweeteners.

i was diagnosed with type II diabetes, and have been completely off of every type of sugar in any food, except for splenda artificial sweetner...i have lost 43 pounds over 5 months, i don't get heartburn anymore, i have noticed a "calming" of my physical body (that's the only way i can describe it), my mood is better, my skin no longer breaks out, i sleep comfortably all night long, i breathe easier ...i recommend everyone should get off of the sugar, the change is dramatic.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
okay let me try to explain this so that evereyone will follow.

I am not saying sugar is good for you in fact it is quite the opposite, However sugar in moderation is also not bad for you as it spikes insulin levels and restores glycogen to muscles. It is all about what you eat when you eat it and how much of it you eat. For example if you eat cake, cookies, and whatever you want this is where sugar is bad.

On the other hand aspartame has no benefits at all to the human body and the body does not need it. And there have been countless study's on it and it is not good for you and it is that simple.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Obviously you are in better health because you cut a lot of junk out of your diet related to sugar. artificial sweetener has nothing to do with it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

In the past two decades brain tumor rates have risen in several industrialized countries, including the United States. During this time, brain tumor data have been gathered by the National Cancer Institute from catchment areas representing 10% of the United States population. In the present study, we analyzed these data from 1975 to 1992 and found that the brain tumor increases in the United States occurred in two distinct phases, an early modest increase that may primarily reflect improved diagnostic technology, and a more recent sustained increase in the incidence and shift toward greater malignancy that must be explained by some other factor(s). Compared to other environmental factors putatively linked to brain tumors, the artificial sweetener aspartame is a promising candidate to explain the recent increase in incidence and degree of malignancy of brain tumors. Evidence potentially implicating aspartame includes an early animal study revealing an exceedingly high incidence of brain tumors in aspartame-fed rats compared to no brain tumors in concurrent controls, the recent finding that the aspartame molecule has mutagenic potential, and the close temporal association (aspartame was introduced into US food and beverage markets several years prior to the sharp increase in brain tumor incidence and malignancy). We conclude that there is need for reassessing the carcinogenic potential of aspartame
Linky

Smoke top every gay:

Drink pee, you and wee!!

Tea is the most popular beverage, consumed by over two thirds of the world's population. Tea is processed differently in different parts of the world to give green (20%), black (78%) or oolong tea (2%). Green tea is consumed mostly in Japan and China. The antimutagenic and anticarcinogenic activities of green tea are extensively examined. The chemical components of green and black tea are polyphenols, which include EC, ECG, EGC, EGCG and TFs. This article reviews the epidemiological and experimental studies on the antimutagenicity and anticarcinogenicity of tea extracts and tea polyphenols. In Japan, an epidemiological study showed an inverse relationship between habitual green tea drinking and the standardized mortality rates for cancer. Some cohort studies on Chanoyu (Japanese tea ceremony) women teachers also showed that their mortality ratio including deaths caused by malignant neoplasms were surprisingly low. The antimutagenic activity against various mutagens of tea extracts and polyphenols including ECG and EGCG has been demonstrated in microbial systems (Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli), mammalian cell systems and in vivo animal tests. The anticarcinogenic activity of tea phenols has been shown in experimental animals such as rats and mice, in transplantable tumors, carcinogen-induced tumors in digestive organs, mammary glands, hepatocarcinomas, lung cancers, skin tumors, leukemia, tumor promotion and metastasis. The mechanisms of antimutagenesis and anticarcinogenesis of tea polyphenols suggest that the inhibition of tumors may be due to both extracellular and intracellular mechanisms including the modulation of metabolism, blocking or suppression, modulation of DNA replication and repair effects, promotion, inhibition of invasion and metastasis, and induction of novel mechanisms.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Poison = HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP

It is not sugar. Sugar is expensive so most prepackaged food will be sweetened with high fructose corn syrup...period. Sometimes there are other "sugars" along with the corn syrup...the HFCS also extend the shelf life of the "food" in question.

It has been proven that HFCS do cause weight gain and diabetes. It is in ALL foods and drinks, including bottled teas and juices sold in the US and other countries. Don't want to eat it? Too bad...the government feels it is a safe bet...right ...Stick to only organically grown fresh veggies and fruits...so far, they look safe.

Aspartame, Splenda (only one molecule off from chlorine) and other artificial sweeteners may help you loose weight...but in the long run, you are committing slow suicide. When I was younger, we didn't know these things...now we do...use the knowledge.

Diabetics can use sugar...we are talking RAW, unbleached cane sugar. Many others have said used in moderation, and I agree. The body does need sugars...but the REAL THING is what the body uses for the best results.

Stay away from HFCS...that is what will kill ya.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

HFCS isn't in every store bought food item, lol. I purchase food that doesn't have a sliver of it in there. How do I know? I've been checking ingredients since I was able to read, and never purchase anything that has preservatives, food colors, HFCS, or anything I can't easily pronounce, lol. It might seem difficult, but once you get a knack for what you know is okay, and what you know isn't okay, then you don't have to spend the time searching the ingredients list and going online to look for "creative" renaming of the same poisons.

As for the sugars, I get enough carbs mostly from veggies, fruits, grains, and local honey, but also from beer as well. What isn't widely known is the GI index is totally false for beer, as is the thought that it contains a lot of simple sugars. The fact is that most of the simple sugars are converted into ethanol by the yeast, and what remains is mostly a complex carb.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

The problem with beer is that alcohol lowers testosterone levels and also slows the metabolism down to a complete halt because the body burns off alcohol first as it's main fuel supply. Not that i'm not a beer drinker HAHA

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

It lowers testosterone in most people, but not all.

I'm a natural super high metabolism, so is no worries here....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

HAHA Cheers to that! May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings, slow to make enemies and quick to make friends. And may you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I think the issues here to most if not all these de-generative ailments:

ASPARTAME
GM Foods
Flouridation
Electro-Magnetosphere (wireless)
Soaps, Detergents, Airfreshners, Sun Screens
Chem Trailing

The Rothchild's of this world are hell bent on removing us, now they have the technology to survive without the useless eaters.

People have been deliberately dumbed down, through the food chain to become more malleable and subservant, it's not the people fault that some have become fat and lazy or poorly but corporations in their collective love for greed and power,

So we're at a tipping point where the ones less affected support and help educate the less able,

If we're all so fit and mentally capable, why have the American's allowed all the pomp and ceromony of Barry Soetero's election and complete back track on everything he's done and stepped aside as his Banker Masters completely dis-mantle the greatest nation on earth. It's been systematic and premiditated, and only allowed because the the people you vote for (your congressmen/women) have forgotten where they started out and stabbed all in the back for their own self gain,

What's happening in Egypt, should have happened in Washington 18mth's ago! America has the largest standing public army in the world comprising of citizens alone. Don't forget the good folk in the armed forces, police etc have families to go home too also and know how it's also affecting them.

What has to be the tipping point to take back America, and prosecute the last four governments for dereliction of duty in the care and trust of it's citizens!

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

It doesn't take a genius to ge back a few decades when sugar was just that sugar, after refinement and the combination of simple carbs with invention of corn syrup the obesity/diabetes spike has been overwhelming.

Do your research and you will find the truth.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

It doesn't take a genius to ge back a few decades when sugar was just that sugar, after refinement and the combination of simple carbs with invention of corn syrup the obesity/diabetes spike has been overwhelming.

Do your research and you will find the truth.

Yes, sugar was just sugar (as it is now). The difference is that we use it in MASSIVE quantities now. And I'm not talking about candy and drinks. It's in lots of stuff you wouldn't think of including America's favorite... fast food!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
splenda is the left handed isomer of sugar.It tastes sweet but your body can't break it down.It is harmless.I don't know why I try to help.I can see nobody read my other post explaining why sugar won't harm you but High fructose corn syrup will.I guess I'll just take my twenty years of experience in the chemical industry and go home.See Ya around the site.
edit on 2/4/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

People don't care about there health. If it doesn't involve controversy no one cares.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
If you rly think about it..alcohol kills you, cigarettes kill you, being an avid meat eater kills you, drugs kill you, partying kill you. What fun is there to life?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It's not sugar but fat.

Fats are used in the construction of cells.

Cells made from 'healthy oil/fats' produce cells that easily metabolize sugars.

Cells made from 'engineered food oils/fats' produce cells that can not easily metabolize sugars.

Engineered food oils have been consumed since the 1930's...
...coincidently about the same time Type 2 diabetes began as an epidemic.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by noobsauce13

DON'T TAKE LIFE TOO SERIOUS. YOU'LL NEVER GET OUT ALIVE.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

I am sensitive to sugar, like some are sensitive to salt, Stevia is all I use for my sugar needs, yes many here in this forums have been very active on threads that have to do with the harms of corn syrup now to be call "corn sugar".

Like I said in my post just follow the obesity epidemic, and our children's with the implementation of diet drinks and corn syrup.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
The use of the term *sugar* requires more definition since the body responds to different sugars (carbs) differently.

Thanks for pointing that out. The terminology can become confusing. The main point to remember is glucose is metabolized by nearly every cell in the body and goes directly to the blood stream spiking blood sugar (glucose) and subsequently insulin. Fructose, conversely, is ONLY metabolized by the liver and has an extremely low glycemic response and is not relatively insulinotropic.

Without glucose, your body will enter a state called Ketosis due to depletion of the stored Glycogen.

You enter ketosis, typically, when you sleep. Or when you're fasting. Or when you're on a low carb diet. It's not dangerous. In fact, it's a very efficient form of fuel allocation. There's a little myth running around that confuses Ketosis with Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA). The latter is quite dangerous and is regularly the cause of death in type 1 diabetics.

As has been mentioned, moderation is the key.

I hate this. It's misleading and confusing. What is moderation? I never understood why anyone would eat a food that was never consumed by humans until the last 150 years, wreaks havoc on the metabolism (probably because we're not used to eating it) and then turn around and say..."oh, it's ok in moderation."

The only exception would be fruits, and in limited quantities. I don't think the liver and pancreas would have any problem dealing with the sugars in fruits in limited amounts (or dare I say moderation), especially those fruits with plenty of fiber. Any healthy individual whose metabolic processes are not damaged can handle natural sugars from fruits and vegetables and starch from tubers, but once the liver is essentially broken and metabolic hormones don't operate properly (which is the majority of Americans now), avoiding foods that spike blood sugar and avoiding foods with fructose is essential to repairing the broken pieces.

Your body has to have glucose/glycogen to function normally.

The brain has to have about 130-150g of glucose to function, and in extended periods of ketosis we've seen that demand decrease. However, that glucose does not have to come from dietary carbohydrates. There's no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. Most of the body, at rest and light physical exertion, runs on fatty acids and ketone bodies. Once glycogen stores are depleted, the body releases glucagon to begin the process of gluconeogensis, a process in which amino acids are sent to the liver to be converted to glucose.

If you're not consuming protein at this point...it comes from muscle tissue; however, if you're consuming enough protein, there's no problem.

edit on 5-2-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsMyName
The sugar in the commercial is actually coc aine.

Yes, of course sugar is fine in moderation, more specifically, natural sugar. The sugar found in soft drinks is actually part of the high fructose corn syrup content, a genetically modified ingredient. It is proven in rats that out of all the different types of artificial sweeteners, including sugar, high fructose corn syrup is the only one that across the board causes obesity. Yes, EVERY SINGLE RAT GIVEN A PROPORTIONATE AMOUNT OF HFCS GAINED WEIGHT.

Here is the study:
www.princeton.edu...

Studies show that HFCS, even in a portion of 1 soda drink a day, does increase your chance of obesity. I would not consider a soda a day moderation, maybe a soda every few days.

Fructose is most definitely a natural sugar, by definition of the word, 'natural'. It's found naturally in honey, many fruits and other edible plants. Crystalline fructose, which is derived from corn syrup (which is glucose, by the way - another very natural sugar), consists of about 98% fructose, the rest being water and trace minerals. High fructose corn syrup is simply a mix of fructose and glucose. And of course they gained weight - your body stores excess glucose as glycogen, which presents as an increase in weight.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join