It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Sugar REALLY Destroying You?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
NYC Health Department thinks it’s time to scare people off sugar. Ha! Like that’s gonna work.

They’re issuing a new ad showing how drinking sodas and other sugary drinks can lead to diabetes, gangrene and other gross illnesses.

Another ad shows a guy eating 16 packs of sugar instead of a soda. But the grossest one is of a guy downing a glass of fat.

In this day and age, I wonder if they’re not right---it takes shock factor to slap the sugar-eating people and wake them up to the sugar-induced somnambulistic state they’re in. Frankly, I think they are kidding themselves if they really think people are going to cut out sodas. There's no way they can overcome Coke and Pepsi ads. People are far too used to drinking sodas.

As a coincidental side note, as of January 1st I went off soda and pop completely. I lost 4 pounds doing it. I was amazed. I don’t really miss the sodas as much as the carbonation. I like that fizz. And in a restaurant, sometimes I want to order a coke just out of force of habit.

On the brighter side, taking this whole issue in a different direction, I suggested recently that those few grossly obese people waddling down the streets might actually be the saviors of humanity instead of the scourge we all (unjustly) peg them for.
Obesity: Disgusting People with No Self-Respect or Post-Apocalypse Saviors of Humanity

And here are the Commercials:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Good grief, in moderation it is fine. Certainly more so than the artificial sweeteners.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The only source I get spikes of simple sugars from is the beer I consume. While I agree with the generalization that people are obviously not going to quit soda's until they are forced to, some people have kicked the habit. I went from drinking a few liters of that crud a day, to unsweetened teas, filtered water, and a few beers a day. Overall this was a huge improvement to my general health & diet.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Sugar is fine in moderation like the above poster said. However sugar is plain and simple the number one leading cause of obesity. This is how it works your body first will burn sugar, then carbs, And then fat so you see it slows down your metabolism and makes the fat burning process that much longer. Plus sugar is KNOWN that sugar causes the body to hold three to four times it's weight.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Good for you soda is nothing but empty calories. And diet soda is loaded with aspartame in simple words poison.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The sugar in the commercial is actually coc aine.

Yes, of course sugar is fine in moderation, more specifically, natural sugar. The sugar found in soft drinks is actually part of the high fructose corn syrup content, a genetically modified ingredient. It is proven in rats that out of all the different types of artificial sweeteners, including sugar, high fructose corn syrup is the only one that across the board causes obesity. Yes, EVERY SINGLE RAT GIVEN A PROPORTIONATE AMOUNT OF HFCS GAINED WEIGHT.

Here is the study:
www.princeton.edu...

Studies show that HFCS, even in a portion of 1 soda drink a day, does increase your chance of obesity. I would not consider a soda a day moderation, maybe a soda every few days.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Im 28 and started to get a litlle bit chubby if you know what I mean I cut out sugary drinks and lost 10 pounds in a month without exercising at all really. I dont eat sweet foods just am not a fan of them. But I used to drink a lot of sweet tea and coffe and soft drinks. I used to put a cup and a half of sugar in a 3/4 of a gallon of tea. Im not sure if sugar is altered in those big factories from its original form but I dont trust big factories not to mention the genetically altered sugar cane for optimal production. I also do not trust the artificial sugar I am using a little bit of it in my drinks hope it doesnt give me cancer.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I eat loads of chocolate and have lost loads of weight, lol.

Why should peopel give up something they love to it. Eating has to give you some pleasure.

Yep too much sugar may be bad, but man salt is the worst thing in foods today period.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I've always thought sugar was an interesting substance. There is a diet called the shangri-la diet where you just take two hours out of your day to not eat anything or put anything near your mouth at all (like smoking or using chap stick), and in the middle of those two hours, drink a cup of sugar water. The amount of sugar you put in your water is determined by your weight. The diet is supposed to help your body understand the difference between being hungry and craving the taste of food. It has apparently worked for a lot of people.

That last video of the person eating sugar packets.. I used to know a diabetic who would eat sugar like that when he had sugar lows and it would help him.. so maybe that was that guys case, too.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Why should peopel give up something they love to it. Eating has to give you some pleasure.

Yep too much sugar may be bad, but man salt is the worst thing in foods today period.

salt and sugar should for the most part be consumed in moderation it's all about calories in vs calories out to lose weight keep your body at a deficit for calories by diet and exercise. to sustain weight dont go over your daily calorie intake. It realy is simple I use to be a personal trainer.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

This is what I'm talking about. People love it too much to admit it's bad. We are programmed too well to respond to the lower-brain, immediate gratification no matter what the consequence, impulse despite what the higher brain tells us. And finger pointing at something else, say... salt, doesn't make sugar great.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Yep people do not understand really you can eat what you want as long as you do exercise, and enough of it.

But i would be more worried about salt than sugar. I am not saying sugar is great, i am saying do not starve yourself of nice foods if dieting. Your body does not work like that, food should be enjoyable too.
edit on 2/3/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Body is a reflection of life style.

Fuel it up, work it through the life style, you end up with a different thing every time.

Its not complicated - at least not for me

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Salt is bad in it self but for a entire different reason. Too much Salt (sodium) leads to water retention not weight gain. Either way there both fine but only in moderation

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
reply to post by unityemissions

Good for you soda is nothing but empty calories. And diet soda is loaded with aspartame in simple words poison.

So shouldn't we all be dead from this poison that some of us choose over sugar? Aspartame has been around for a very long time..... must be some evidence somewhere of it poisoning us??

Aspartame is one of those topics that causes a lot of confusion because of so many lies and disinfo on it. Seems to me that there is more evidence of sugar killing people than aspartame.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It's not all sugar that is bad for you it is the REFINED sugar that is the big problem. The thing is that refined sugar is found in just about everything we eat now that comes out of a box. Once you realize that you can have unrefined sugar you can have sweets that are not so horrible for you...

The thing that is killer about these refined sugars is that they have a very big impact on blood glucose levels. In fact these sugars make your blood sugar ie glucose levels spike and when this happens your body goes into fat storing mode...

People need to stop being so defensive about their bad habits, refined sugar is bad for you and there is no dancing around that issue.

Salt is not nearly as bad as sugar. Salt is a compound of two elements, sodium and chloride. Sodium, along with other elements help balance the water in our bodies. It also helps muscles contract and helps send nerve impulses through our body. It is important to our health.

Refined sugar is useless! We can get all the sugar we need from healthy carbs that get broken down into glucose keeping our blood sugar levels at a healthy range.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

mine as well be killing us if it is causing birth defects. www.mercola.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Could not agree more! star for you. But i will say that the only time it is appropriate to consume simple sugars is post workout to spike your insulin levels and deliver nutrients to your muscles faster. and it should be consumed in the form of a soft drink such as gatorade

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I agree I like to drink tgrape juice to accomplish the same thing, I'm not a huge fan of those sports drinks. Some are good but ones like vitamin water should be called sugar water. It's funny people see vitamin on the bottle and think hey this is healthy for me... Read labels people! It will help in the long run

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join