It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Know That God Exists?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

The fact is I dont know. Its a faith thing. God said the you could find him with faith. You must have faith as a mustard seed. Why do you think God forgives everthing almost? Because is true children follow faithly

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

Originally posted by WJjeeper
one thing i find hilarious... you may not be able to prove god exists, but can you prove he doesnt? didnt think so...

When it comes to logic you don't have to provide evidence for a negative. You can't prove that unicorns don't exist, so then they must exist, is faulty logic.

Likewise when it comes to logic, absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence.

Just sayin.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I know God Is
Because I Am

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

so, do you have an explanation as to why our brains put off 50,000watts of electro-magnetic pulses a minute? do you have an explanation as to why that EMP field disappears as soon as the brain loses all oxygen? i didnt think so, but it is a "scientifically proven" fact. some crazy MD even came up with the idea that is our soul?

Sure, if we can't explain something, then its probably God.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

faith is a spiritual structure. It is proven every day faith making a difference.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

one thing i find hilarious... you may not be able to prove god exists, but can you prove he doesnt? didnt think so...

sorry for being so late in responding...

Can you prove Zeus doesn't exist? If I were to claim that Zeus exists and speaks to me, would it be your job to prove me wrong, or mine to prove my claim correct?

How do you know that you exist????

Prove it...

I'm aware of my existence? This reminds me of a movie... "Contact" to be exact. In it, Palmer Joss (a 'man of the cloth) asks Ellie Arroway (astronomer/atheist) if she loves her father... I believe she said yes and then he asked her to prove it. What possible end can this mean achieve other than steering the conversation from the point? It isn't as profound as you believe it to be and it serves more as a cop-out than anything else. I may not be able to prove that I really exist scientifically speaking as I'm no scientist, but so what? Does that mean God does exist? Does that nullify the question? What?

And... You can't prove that unicorns do exist, so then they don't exist, is just as stupid..

No tangible evidence makes it logical to assume that it doesn't, but doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't. If we were to apply that to God, it would also be fair to apply that logic to unicorns, the lochness monster, the chupacabras and any other product of fiction similar to a "God".

Wow... I wasn't aware of these findings... got a link???

Where's your link proving, without a shadow of a doubt, that your God exists? I mean, it just isn't fair that you don't expect of yourself the same standard that you expect of others.

You just know it. Simple as that.

Makes no sense especially since right after you stated this you asked another member to provide evidence for his claims. What if he said he just knows that you're wrong? You conveniently evade the task of acquiring evidence and claim that you just know, but you can't just know. You may think that you know, but you don't really know, ya know?

Likewise when it comes to logic, absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence.

Just sayin.

True... hardly helps your case though.

edit on 4-2-2011 by AlexG141989 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2011 by AlexG141989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I wasn't trying to 'help my case', just pointing out facts of logic and reasoning.

I certainly don't think there is an absence of evidence, you do.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I wasn't trying to 'help my case', just pointing out facts of logic and reasoning.

If there's an absence of evidence, in this case there is, it's because you have yet to provide that evidence. Why is that?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Makes no sense

Maybe for you, but for me it makes sense. The question was "How do You Know?". Hence my answer :

You just know it. Simple as that
If you can´t accept my answer then it´s fine.

What if he said he just knows that you're wrong?

Well, then i would just say "Good for You".

You conveniently evade the task of acquiring evidence and claim that you just know, but you can't just know.

It´s always amazing how a simple answer can cause such emotions.

You may think that you know, but you don't really know, ya know?

Well, let me be the Judge of what i know and do not know, ya know?

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I can only share answers that I found, when I had those questions. My answers are found in what I believe to be the Word of God. Even if men have messed it up a little, the principles taught therein are intact, according to my experience. I’d rather weed the mistakes of men out of God’s Word, than the mistakes of men out of their own words.

1.) Does God really care about us?

Genesis 1.1 - 2.3 shows God making 102 separate acts to create a world that men are given to subdue.

Most people today can’t subdue an inanimate object, like a credit card, so one would be hard pressed to convince me that the problems of this world are because of God.

2.) Will war and suffering ever end?

First, I had to define war, and I generalized it as conflict between two or more entities. So, ‘will conflict ever end?’ became my question. I had to learn about why there is conflict in this world.

The source of conflict on earth is found in Jeremiah 4, in my opinion. God’s statement there is that His People started a war against Him because of their own ignorance (sottish children, v. 22) and not appreciating Him. That naturally broke His heart.

My sympathies obviously lie with the victim and not the perps. He suffers right along with us all.

The LORD is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. -II Peter 3.9

I have read the back of the Book, and we do receive eternal peace (Revelation 21.4).

3.) What happens to us when we die?

All souls belong to God (Ezekiel 18.4). Regardless of how a person’s body dies, their spirit returns to God Who gave it (Ecclesiastes 12.6-7). There are two sides to the heavenly realm, and how one lives a life here determines their destination after death (Luke 16).

4.) Is there any hope for the dead?

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. -I Thessalonians 4.13

The next few verses proceed to explain that those asleep in Christ will return with Him; and, that there is no way for us to precede (prevent) them to be in the company of God because they are already there.

And don’t forget the words of Christ in Mark 12.26-27:

And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?’
He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.”

No souls have died, only flesh.

5.) How can I pray and be heard by God

That needs to be done from the heart, not the mouth or ego.

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes:
But the LORD pondereth the hearts.
To do justice and judgment
Is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice. -Proverbs 21.2-3

Gives a little more insight as to why He didn’t end the war men started with Him immediately (Jeremiah 4). He could have, as a consuming fire (Deuteronomy 4.24), simply obliterated it all because of the ignorance of people, but He didn’t.

For I desired mercy and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. -Hosea 6.6

6.) How can I find happiness in life?

The Book of Ecclesiastes is to “the man who walks under the sun.” One of the predominant phrases there is, “Vanity of vanities; all is vanity,” and that is from the perspective of the flesh man. Solomon, in all of his glory and wisdom did everything he could think to do to find something new and wonderful here in this world; and he continued to find the same emptiness, which is what vanity means (empty). The wisest man in the world, he was.

So, how does one find contentment, to allow for happiness, if it is not to be found?

Accept that this is all temporary; on the job training, if you will.

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. -II Corinthians 4.18

To utilize and old saying, “It is 10% of what happens and 90% of how you handle it.”

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
www.purchaseinpower.com...

thoughts on the topic of God for the atheist, skeptic, and scientist

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexG141989

If there's an absence of evidence, in this case there is, it's because you have yet to provide that evidence. Why is that?

I wasn't talking about there being evidence in this thread.

Re-read my post with that in mind.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by WJjeeper

so, do you have an explanation as to why our brains put off 50,000watts of electro-magnetic pulses a minute? do you have an explanation as to why that EMP field disappears as soon as the brain loses all oxygen? i didnt think so, but it is a "scientifically proven" fact. some crazy MD even came up with the idea that is our soul?

Sure, if we can't explain something, then its probably God.

maybe everything we CAN explain is God.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexG141989

I wasn't talking about there being evidence in this thread.

Re-read my post with that in mind.

Makes no difference what you meant, the end is the same. Evidence in this thread is non-existent. Evidence of any kind is 'seemingly' non-existent. Believers have had 2000 years to provide it, yet for some reason have been unable to. Does that mean that some super being does not exist or that there isn't evidence somewhere yet to be found by humans? No, not necessarily, but it also means that there's absolutely no reason to believe one does exist, unless you do so blindly or by faith, which is the nicer term. In which case, carry on...

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and I didn't say it was.

To be completely clear where I am coming from, let me say this. First and foremost I'm agnostic when dealing with the uncertainty of a creator/God/supreme being or beings, whatever you want to call it. But I'm Atheist when dealing with what is clearly fiction, and that includes the biblical God/Allah, miracle-working Jesus, the bible/qu'ran etc... In my opinion they can all be bunched in with the Greek Gods, the Nordic Gods and what have you...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

You've provided nothing but arbitrary conjectures. Sorry, but is there a rational reason for any of your opinions you stated??

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I know that God exists because I have witnessed events in time that were planned by a source other than myself. I tested these things, or sometimes the things tested me. This is reality, and we can dream when we are alseep, so if reality itself was the source of an arrangement of time than it has not come from the creator of reality. I do not view God as a loving God who is ready to wrap his arms around you, I believe God to be a master of time.

I have have some evidence for believing when we die we will face God, and probably other people have this but its a deep urge to live 800 or 900 years here on earth.

1.) Does God really care about us? I do not know, though evidence suggests so.
2.) Will war and suffering ever end? That is up to humans, think of how the world would be if every person had your views, would we have wars? probably not.
3.) What happens to us when we die? I would believe that after this initial sight which is like a bright light we have shocking contact.
4.) Is there any hope for the dead? We are in spirit form and we may go through a lot, evidence suggests that someone can be stuck here on earth in spirit form, or maybe they choose to come here.
5.) How can I pray and be heard by God? I like this question, to me it's like a psychological question as much as philisophical, where do our thoughts go? I believe thoughts can travel through space and time from different evidences, I am not psychic at all.
6.) How can I find happiness in life? The interesting thing is that I have seen a lot of down times in the last 10 years, and to this present day I have noticed that the journey in life has made me very loving, love has made the journey very difficult because as you know life is not a tropical paradise. So the more understanding of God does not mean happiness to me, but that you have the tools to know how to be happy.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The proof God exists is the charisma one has. How the person is saturated in God.

God is a spirit.

Passage John 4:24:

24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth

I am sure people will understand.

edit on 2011/2/7 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I experience too many coincidences to be able to deny the existence of a higher intelligence or organising principle.

In a sense: "we do not prove God exists, God proves that we exist".
edit on 7-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Yep far too many things happen to think we are just it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
"we do not prove God exists, God proves that we exist".

That is a very profound statement. In all of my years of study, I've never heard anyone say it like that, and that thought never crossed my mind.

Thank you for sharing it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join