It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the web has ran out of room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
first i am not sure if this is the right place for this . in not then mod, do your thing and place it were it belongs. Yes the web has ran out room , www.cnn.com... then go to tech to long to post the entire link line, the last three HTTPS were issued so what does this mean for the web?
edit on 3-2-2011 by bekod because: wnated to add but did not

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Do Not Panic
Geeks around the world have been working on this issues for the past decade.

Oh and this has been covered before on ATS.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

what do you covered be fore?? this is today's news, i just come from CNN that is how i found it, there news does sort of does that mean a new http?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
we got almost infinite space with the ipv6 protocol, so dont panic

test your ipv6 connectivity
test-ipv6.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by grey580

what do you covered be fore?? this is today's news, i just come from CNN that is how i found it, there news does sort of does that mean a new http?

There's already been a post covering this topic.
Gotta do a search of the site to find it.

http is the acronym for hyper text transfer protocol.

Basically what happens is that then you type in a web address, yahoo.com for instance. There is a behind the scenes translation of yahoo.com to an ip address by a domain name server(dns).
Every domain name has an entry in dns mapped to an ip address.
For example Yahoo.com points to 98.137.149.56. If you were to input that address into your browser you would surf to the yahoo website.

What the article is saying is that all the of the ip addresses from 0.0.0.1 all the way to 255.255.255.255 have been exhausted.

So from now on all new ip address must be put out in ipv6 format of 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
which can accomodate an even larger number of ip devices.

Like I said. Nothing to worry about.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's true! It's the end of the internet.

Proof Here!

edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by conar
test your ipv6 connectivity
test-ipv6.com...

I ran the test and got these scores:

7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
Does anyone know when publishers will be forced to go IPv6 only? It seems like I'm not ready for that at all.

It says my ISP isn't even accessing IPv6 and I don't have any direct control over my ISP.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites.
My ISP runs the DNS I use. I guess I need to find out when they will become compliant.

new topics

top topics

join