It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Terrifying New Weapons Being Created by the Pentagon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here is a glance at some of DARPA's new toys for the near future. According to this article, they have a 3 billion dollar budget per year. Yeah right. That we know of maybe...

Born in the wake of an American panic over the 1957 Soviet launch of the Sputnik satellite, DARPA set to work keeping the Pentagon ahead of potential adversaries on the technology front. It counts the Internet and the Global Positioning System among its triumphs, and psychic spying and a mechanical elephant designed for use in the jungles of Southeast Asia among its many failures. It also boasts a long legacy when it comes to creating and enhancing lethal technologies, including M-16 rifles, Predator drones, stealth fighters, Tomahawk cruise missiles, and B-52 bombers, which have been employed in conflicts across the globe.

You can read about the mechanical elephant and other fun DARPA successes and failures at this link

1. MAHEM - Magneto Hydrodynamic Explosive Munition. (Magnetic field bullets?)

2. Triple Target Terminator or T3 (A multifunction missile)

3. Long Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM) (Pick a ship. Any ship.)

4. Extreme Accuracy Tactical Ordnance, or EXACTO (A bullet with a guidance system)

5. Strategically Hardened Facility Defeat (The latest bunker buster)

6. Urban Ops Hopper (Urban warfare with robots)

Unfortunately, Americans can’t begin to have an honest conversation about any of this until DARPA comes clean about exactly what billions of their tax dollars are being spent on -- and why. Only then can the taxpayers begin to consider what message their future weapons plans are sending to the world and whether the U.S. really should be spending increasingly scarce dollars on making MAHEM.

6 Terrifying...

I don't think we need to hold our breath. These are just the programs they're telling us about. I'm sure they've got 10 times this they aren't telling us about. Still. It's always interesting to see what these guys are coming up with next.
edit on 3-2-2011 by Klassified because: Add link

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
i think that is just the tip of the iceberg... apparently the military black world is 40 years ahead of the technology we have here in the white (our) world..
just think of the technology we had 40 years ago compared with today! they must have stuff we couldnt even dream of..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Why do they spend all their money on that, when they could be doing COOL things like say, oh, I don't know....instant skin replacement for burn victims?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Now that's cool. Thanks for posting that. I agree. Why don't they put more money into stuff like this? And then actually use it to benefit the world.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

At least 40 years. And probably a lot more. I personally think most, if not all, unexplainable UFO's fall into the black budget category. Just my opinion though.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
First, one has to have victims to cure or help....and war creates plenty of opportunity for such.
Which explains recent medical advances in saving amputees..

More survivors than any other conflict, considering people used to get infections and die from gunshot, no chance if your leg was blown off...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Imagine what these brilliant scientists and all that money could do to create things to make life better for the average person.
I had the crazy idea after the Soviet Union broke up that we would do just that and abandon all this military ascendancy nonsense.
But we had to have a new bogey man for the military to fight.

Not much actual info but it's interesting to know the gist of what they're developing.
Bump

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Is the source biased much?

Look at this excerpt:

It’s the farthest thing from a fair fight. A man peers through an advanced telescopic sight. He zeros in on his prey, a figure without a sporting chance who has no idea that he’s being targeted for death. The sniper, who has lugged his 30 pound, .50 caliber rifle up a ridgeline in order to kill with a single shot, breathes slow and steady, focuses, waits, waits, and finally pulls the trigger. A breeze he never felt, somewhere in the 4,000 feet between him and his target, sends the round off course. The sniper doesn’t log another kill. The human target gets to live another day.

These fools actually think that warfare is all about a "fair fight" and giving your enemy a "sporting chance".

That somehow in a struggle between nations to see which survives should involve "marquis of queensbury rules".

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Wow, I'd love to have some of that budget tax free myself for development or I'd be happy to have the Fed bail me out too! But having said that it appears the average citizen is screwed to pay the price in the name of democracy.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I had the crazy idea after the Soviet Union broke up that we would do just that and abandon all this military ascendancy nonsense.

Crazy indeed. I think many of us had that same crazy idea. Too bad TPTB didn't see fit to join us.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The Robot Elephant idea is not quite dead...

Big Dog:www.youtube.com...

If Dr Nebel and his team give the world Polywell Fusion (funded by DARPA) it'll excuse all the silly stuff. They've been awfully quiet since they were funded to build the last set of test devices.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
great stuff! worth every penny!
keeps the bad guys away!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The scariest stuff by far is nano-tech - picture a swarm of disassemblers that can literally rip you (or anything else) apart at the molecular level.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I'm wondering if the AI in that thing is switching modes by itself, or if they're still switching walking, climbing, jumping, etc. for it? If the AI is able to do that, this thing could be quite formidable.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Awesum

If they are letting this stuff out can you imagine whats in the pipeline

I think the next big wave will be Directed Energy weapons as well as the navy's Rail Gun which is already well along way.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Thank you for posting the vid about the Skin Gun. That is amazing technology. 4 days and the guy was healed from 2nd degree burns? It looks like he has new skin. The part that was burned on his face actually looks better/younger than the older side. Wow! Thank you to the doctors who developed this.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I'm not sure to be honest. I've seen videos with big dog running and climbing but i've never seen it make the transition to jumping in an autonomous mode. Thats not to say it cant though.

Heres another cool video of a smaller but very clever robot.

news.discovery.com...

Things are advancing rapidly.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The game of life and nations is a battle of chess not checkers.
Each and every move is to manipulate and set up yourself for full domination.
The technology that is unseen is not even fathomable to what we see in the market.
As someone posted earlier, what is the use of a cure of there are no victims?
People still want to profit and the USA surely will with the precursor of a Middle East Death Zone.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I read this yesterday. They are pretty terrifying. The two that stuck out the most to me was EXACTO and MAHEM.

Just put the two words side by side and the seem even more terrifying.

EXACTO

DARPA is focused on creating a maneuverable bullet (controlled by a guidance system) that moves with the target, adjusting in flight to slam into a human head and turn it into a red mist -- thus writing an upbeat ending to tomorrow’s sniper stories.

source

Into a red mist? melodramatic!

MAHEM - from a different article:

Instead of using high explosives (HE) to punch a hole in vehicle armor, this weapon takes an almost ludicrously high-tech approach, using a magnetic field to launch a spike into the target. As the round travels, a flux compression generator generates a mega-amp of current, and a powerful magnetic field. When the nose hits the vehicle, the round explodes, and the energy released by the sudden collapse of that magnetic field creates a "self-forging penetrator," or a metal jet. In theory, that spike has more kinetic energy than an HE-driven projectile. And as grisly as the result sounds--a rod that impales the vehicle and its occupants--it's no less gruesome than the magma squirted into a tank by a Hellfire missile.

source

Self-Forging penetrator = A sun hot spike of plasma with a projectile rod.......yikes

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Exacto mahem. Sounds a little latinish, doesn't it? I must admit, I'd like to see this one in action. As long as no one is in the vehicle.

using a magnetic field to launch a spike into the target.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join