It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Election Postponement Bill = End of Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The upcoming election postponement bill that everyone has been harping about may just be the worst thing ever for democracy. Here's why: In our representative democracy one of the reasons it has held strong for so many years is because if things really suck we, the American peoples, know that we can easily vote out someone. A vast majority though of how terrible this bill is all in the wording.

Here are some vital questions to be asked:

Could an election be postponed if a "very serious credible threat" was obtained from the usual sources?
Example: (Terrorist group speaking) We will attack you if you hold elections!

Who would be in charge of calling the election off? Homeland Security? A house of congress? One man? A group of people?

The wording of the bill needs to be watched closely, day by day, because no one is asking questions like these.

Now conspiracy theorists are going crazy saying Bush wants to steal the election again, etc... In reality though, Bush might not even be the one that uses this law. As long as this law would be out there any president might use it.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So if there was an attack on election day or a day or two before, and people are not able to get to the polls....Would YOU still carry on with the election?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
Here are some vital questions to be asked:
Could an election be postponed if a "very serious credible threat" was obtained from the usual sources?
Example: (Terrorist group speaking) We will attack you if you hold elections!
Who would be in charge of calling the election off? Homeland Security? A house of congress? One man? A group of people
Now conspiracy theorists are going crazy saying Bush wants to steal the election again, etc... In reality though, Bush might not even be the one that uses this law. As long as this law would be out there any president might use it.
If there is a credible threat, then why don't they arrest the people who made it? I thought that's what the Patriot Act was for, spying on the terrorists so they can catch them.

I think it would be Homeland Security giving advice.

Maybe Bush wished to end the democratic process and install himself as Dictator for as long as he can breathe.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well the thing is that elections are state matters, NOT Federal. So would we have to amend the constitution to make elections federally controlled?

If I was in charge of everything and the world worked the way I wanted it to and a terrorist attack occured in multiple states 1 day before election day then I would think it would be best if the states that could hold elections should hold elections and the the states that couldn't hold elections postpone their voting until a time when everyone could have a fair chance at getting to the polls.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There's already a topic on this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Feel free to add your thoughts to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join