It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It appears George W Bush was correct about freedom in the middle east

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I remember people calling Bush a fool for thinking that freedom could spread in the middle east. Show them Iraq can have freedom from Sadaam and others will follow. It appears that strategy has taken hold in many middle eastern countries here lately. The question now is what happens next? In the end all people want is to be free.

Our commitment to democracy is also tested in the Middle East, which is my focus today, and must be a focus of American policy for decades to come. In many nations of the Middle East -- countries of great strategic importance -- democracy has not yet taken root. And the questions arise: Are the peoples of the Middle East somehow beyond the reach of liberty? Are millions of men and women and children condemned by history or culture to live in despotism? Are they alone never to know freedom, and never even to have a choice in the matter? I, for one, do not believe it. I believe every person has the ability and the right to be free. (Applause.)

Some skeptics of democracy assert that the traditions of Islam are inhospitable to the representative government. This "cultural condescension," as Ronald Reagan termed it, has a long history. After the Japanese surrender in 1945, a so-called Japan expert asserted that democracy in that former empire would "never work." Another observer declared the prospects for democracy in post-Hitler Germany are, and I quote, "most uncertain at best" -- he made that claim in 1957. Seventy-four years ago, The Sunday London Times declared nine-tenths of the population of India to be "illiterates not caring a fig for politics." Yet when Indian democracy was imperiled in the 1970s, the Indian people showed their commitment to liberty in a national referendum that saved their form of government. Time after time, observers have questioned whether this country, or that people, or this group, are "ready" for democracy -- as if freedom were a prize you win for meeting our own Western standards of progress. In fact, the daily work of democracy itself is the path of progress. It teaches cooperation, the free exchange of ideas, and the peaceful resolution of differences. As men and women are showing, from Bangladesh to Botswana, to Mongolia, it is the practice of democracy that makes a nation ready for democracy, and every nation can start on this path. It should be clear to all that Islam -- the faith of one-fifth of humanity -- is consistent with democratic rule. Democratic progress is found in many predominantly Muslim countries -- in Turkey and Indonesia, and Senegal and Albania, Niger and Sierra Leone. Muslim men and women are good citizens of India and South Africa, of the nations of Western Europe, and of the United States of America. More than half of all the Muslims in the world live in freedom under democratically constituted governments. They succeed in democratic societies, not in spite of their faith, but because of it. A religion that demands individual moral accountability, and encourages the encounter of the individual with God, is fully compatible with the rights and responsibilities of self-government.

Link

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm gonna take a wild guess that maybe the CIA had something to do with the uprising in Egypt.

Edit: Let me clarify that I'm stating the possibility.
edit on 3-2-2011 by drkylefletcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well - I bekueve that every time the US has stopped supporting our own values - freedom, democracy - free press etc etc. and instead supported leaders that are agaiinst whatever we're against at the moment - sha of Iran, South Vietnamese, Indonesian leaders, etc etc it's proven to be be utimiately futile and not in our best interests...

besides - as my mother used to say - even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkylefletcher
I'm gonna take a wild guess that maybe the CIA had something to do with the uprising in Egypt.

Why would the CIA create an uprising in a country who is our military ally?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
That's a stretch.

The more likely scenario is that they saw what happened to Afghanistan, Iraq, nations in Africa, and don't want it happening to them. When will people get that they, as a whole, don't want the elite and imperialist nations or their puppets running their countries?

Whether this was staged/instigated (probability medium) and then got away from them or really just did come from the people, one thing is certain...an NWO puppet is going to wind up back in there. One way or another.The attacks by the NWO on Mohamed ElBaradei making him appear as NWO is a diversion. The NWO hates him.
edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

It's happened before, I believe. No instances to cite though.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
That's a stretch.

The more likely scenario is that they saw what happened to Afghanistan, Iraq, nations in Africa, and don't want it happening to them. When will people get that they, as a whole, don't want the elite and imperialist nations or their puppets running their countries?

Whether this was staged/instigated (probability medium) and then got away from them or really just did come from the people, one thing is certain...an NWO puppet is going to wind up back in there. One way or another.The attacks by the NWO on Mohamed ElBaradei making him appear as NWO is a diversion. The NWO hates him.

So folks are rising up to fight for freedom because they're scared the US will invade them?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

No. Not exactly.

They see how Iran is in the crosshairs. And Syria. And whether they're invaded directly or yet another country in their region is, I'm sure no one there is thrilled about the possibilities...or what they have to sacrifice and endure to stay out of those crosshairs. How would you feel if the situation was reversed, and say China decided the U.S. was not treating their people right and is irresponsible financially and has nuclear weapons pointed at people and that the world should not tolerate this?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

No. Not exactly.

They see how Iran is in the crosshairs. And Syria. And whether they're invaded directly or yet another country in their region is, I'm sure no one there is thrilled about the possibilities...or what they have to sacrifice and endure to stay out of those crosshairs. How would you feel if the situation was reversed, and say China decided the U.S. was not treating their people right and is irresponsible financially and has nuclear weapons pointed at people and that the world should not tolerate this?

Well I sure wouldn't try and overthrow the government. I could care less what China thinks. We go nukes pointed right back their way. What are they gonna do try a normandy landing in California? Or are you saying if China invades Mexico we should topple the government?

Iran has been in the crosshairs for years. Hell most middle east countries don't want Iran to have nukes any more than we do. This is what has started all the uprisings?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans

Why would the CIA create an uprising in a country who is our military ally?

Not saying it's true, but conceivably, the alliance is or is about to be dissolved... By them or by us.

Just because we're "friends" now does not mean it is writ in stone for eternity.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

You're either being purposely dense to annoy me or you're not telling me what part of what I actually said is not clear. My mentioning China was an example, not the point.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Just because we're "friends" now does not mean it is writ in stone for eternity.

Also, if Egypt's leadership wasn't working out for whoever, what would stop them from starting a coup?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You mean Bush was right about the empire extending into resource rich nations under the guise of democracy and free dumb.

Throwing a dog's ball in the street after predicting it will be hit does not make you a prophet.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Freedom and Democracy

None are more helplessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Goethe.

Its kinda like an Alcoholic entering recovery from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. The First step to recovery is admitting that you are deceived, have a problem, powerless, and that you need help.

To those that disagree with this...The question remains. "Do you want to be right or do you want to be free"?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

To spread freedom revolutions across Africa and Middle East right straight into Iran.
Can you imagine? Peaceful Revolutions of Freedom taking all the Tyrannies down.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

You're either being purposely dense to annoy me or you're not telling me what part of what I actually said is not clear. My mentioning China was an example, not the point.

No I'm trying to understand your stance. It appears you think they are fighting for freedom because they are scared of the US invading them. You posted it not me. If it annoys you to have someone question you then don't post.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by drkylefletcher

The CIA had absolutely nothing to do with the uprising in Egypt, neither did the US government. The USA needs Egypt for the Suez Canal, which someoil comes through and also the Navy uses it for the transport of their warships. If there was an uprising and new leader put in power before the US could pull string with him and negotiate on the issue of the Suez Canal, then the USA would be wetting itself right now. They want a controlled election, and some time, so they can figure out this issue with the potential new leaders of Egypt.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

The only thing to do is wait and see.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Also, if Egypt's leadership wasn't working out for whoever, what would stop them from starting a coup?

Exactly. Who was it not working out for? The other poster says the CIA had something to do with it and my question is why would they? If the US felt this way about Egypt why keep feeding them military equipment? Doesn't make sense IMO. Of course allies change and always do.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Once we act on force for freedom, we have to leave the chance for the residents, not staying there for more freedom, which invades privacy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join