It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt protests: BBC, CNN and al-Jazeera journalists attacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Egypt protests: BBC, CNN and al-Jazeera journalists attacked

www.guardian.co.uk

Jonathan Rugman, Channel 4 News's foreign correspondent, tweeted earlier today: "One journalist punched in face, another stabbed in leg by pro-Mubarak thugs in Cairo this morning. On their way to hospital now."

Jon Snow, the broadcaster's chief news anchor, added: "Media hotel [is] suffering Mubarak thugs attacking all our attempts to get out to report."

Reuters said one of its television crews was beaten up early today close to Tahrir Square while filming a piece about shops and banks being forced to shut during the clashes. David Degner, a Cairo-based photographer, said five of h
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Im really worried, I know someone who works for BBC there and I dont know if they are okay or not. Everyone worried about Anderson Cooper but what about all the others there? Shouldnt Obama speak out against these kinds of acts specifically? And why would Egyptian government even do this? Al jazeera is speculating that the regime is at civil war with itself and things are shaking up. I see right now CNN stopped reporting about it, something couldve happened or they escaped.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

What makes you think that Obama speaking out against these attacks will make a blind bit of difference at this point, to what the pro Mubarak supporters do ? I personaly do not think it will change things one iota, and if anything speaking out with ANY force what so ever, might be a massive mistake.
The one thing you do not want to have happen, is for Obama to be seen to be attempting to tell anyone what to do right now. Egyptians are a proud people, and right now they arent listening to thier own leaders, so Im sure that being bossed about by the leader of a nation that has no direct control over thier lives will either have zero, or a solely negative effect.
Its frankly not up to Obama to speak out, or any other world leaders to speak out. What needs to happen is for the Egyptian President to get the hell out of the way, and let peace and democracy take over. Like , yesterday. That is the only remedy for this situation. The pointless blatherings of heads of state and politicians and presidents from the rest of the world are not important to either side of the battle on the streets of Cairo, and nor should they be. This is an Egyptian problem, and like it or not, the world will just have to deal with whatever happens as a result, without complaining and whining like a bunch of little girls about it. I can assure you , the beating of some journalists should be the least of the concerns of the wider world at this point. Even those heady concerns however, are not important enough to interupt the process at work in Egypt at this time, and quite frankly the other nations of the world should butt out, save to make it clear that a violent government sponsored end to the uprising is not acceptable.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So is this why there is suddenly no coverage of Egypt on CNN, MSNBC or FOX? It's been on constantly for days, and I woke up this morning expecting to see continuing coverage, but nothing.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Theres still BBC coverage. Its not constant, updates are bought forth every hour, and breaking news delivered as and when it happens. There are still correspondants working in the area, I think however that during particular times, the BBC withdraws to hotels and buildings where some order is maintained, so that they can get the regular updates out to the people. Hardy buggers arent they ?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by DuneKnight

What makes you think that Obama speaking out against these attacks will make a blind bit of difference at this point, to what the pro Mubarak supporters do ? I personaly do not think it will change things one iota, and if anything speaking out with ANY force what so ever, might be a massive mistake.
The one thing you do not want to have happen, is for Obama to be seen to be attempting to tell anyone what to do right now. Egyptians are a proud people, and right now they arent listening to thier own leaders, so Im sure that being bossed about by the leader of a nation that has no direct control over thier lives will either have zero, or a solely negative effect.
Its frankly not up to Obama to speak out, or any other world leaders to speak out. What needs to happen is for the Egyptian President to get the hell out of the way, and let peace and democracy take over. Like , yesterday. That is the only remedy for this situation. The pointless blatherings of heads of state and politicians and presidents from the rest of the world are not important to either side of the battle on the streets of Cairo, and nor should they be. This is an Egyptian problem, and like it or not, the world will just have to deal with whatever happens as a result, without complaining and whining like a bunch of little girls about it. I can assure you , the beating of some journalists should be the least of the concerns of the wider world at this point. Even those heady concerns however, are not important enough to interupt the process at work in Egypt at this time, and quite frankly the other nations of the world should butt out, save to make it clear that a violent government sponsored end to the uprising is not acceptable.

So let them sort out their own mess?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
okay I have to go to tahrir square right now to retrive someone wish me luck.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

OK. Unfortunately I haven't included the BBC in my cable package. I should do this today since I have to go out to the Comcast office to pay my bill.

Is the situation still as volatile as last night?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
okay I have to go to tahrir square right now to retrive someone wish me luck.

Good luck. "Maintain angels and watch your 6 lest the ground rise up and smite thee."

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why don't they hire mercenaries or bodyguards? Blackwater?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This was a "Breaking News" story just in on CNN:

The super read:
Police, Army detaining Journalists. Reporters from CNN and BBC being held. Army confiscates CNN camera.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Corroborating link:

Egyptian Army Rounding Up Journalists

By The Associated Press
Posted: 02/03/2011 07:48:29 AM PST
Updated: 02/03/2011 07:49:59 AM PST
www.contracostatimes.com...
edit on 2/3/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: link

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Still continuing live on Sky News: Corresepondent has not yet been rounded up. Is continuing to film clashes between Anti and Pro President Protestors.

Sky News Live

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

First of all, any journalism which means the involvement of Blackwater, or any of thier friends, renders the content suspect, due to the fact that Blackwater are to a man corrupt scumbags under the orders of a racist dog who quite frankly should be torn appart in the street by dogs for his sins.
Second, with a bodyguard force, they become bigger targets than they already are, and if they were to employ a group which had international recognition , then plenty of people out there would likely as not have a grudge to settle with the employee base of the guard company. Its not worth it.
Besides, some journalists dont need a body guard, as shown by this BBC reporter (its never been absolutely certain which one though. Dodgy focus on these cctv systems you see.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

There has been a fair bit of stone throwing, close quaters skirmishes, firebombs being lobbed about, and occasional bursts of gun fire.
I have been away from the TV and at work since I ate lunch though (this would have been about half past twelve my time). Will monitor the situation when I finish work, and report back anything interesting that I see in the news if you like.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Even during times of war and other unrest the media is usually left alone - both sides like the idea of the media getting their word out to the people. I don't understand why they are attacking journalists - what's the purpose?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Said earlier that I would update you if you needed it. I find myself lacking capability since I am on the verge of a collapse bought on by fatigue... its been one of those days, sorry to be a let down. Dont forget you can catch BBC updates at bbc.co.uk/news, they have live feeds sometimes and they also have clips of reportage and other clips which are without commentary but provide visual context for the text based news also provided on the site.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Even during times of war and other unrest the media is usually left alone - both sides like the idea of the media getting their word out to the people. I don't understand why they are attacking journalists - what's the purpose?

Supporters of Mubarak blame the foreign journalists for reporting negatively about them. So some take out their anger on them.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Just got home not too long ago. It's all over the CNN. It's getting really bad over there. Usually I have some asinine quip or tongue-in-cheek witticism... not this time.

new topics

top topics

join