It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shockingly, Toxic Waste Candy Bars Deemed Unsafe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Chew Bars Wrapped in Yellow Caution Tape and Imported From Pakistan Are Contaminated with Lead.

This headline is pretty ironic and at one point I giggled then realized that yet again we are allowing other countries to continuously ship in contaminated goods.

WASHINGTON - The U.S. government says candy imported from Pakistan called Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge is not safe to eat. Who would have guessed?

The Food and Drug Administration announced that the U.S. distributor of Nuclear Sludge chew bars is recalling the candy because of lead contamination. No one has been sickened, but the FDA said elevated lead content could be harmful to small children, infants and pregnant women.

Again with the lead. China has more competition now it seems.

The bars were distributed in stores throughout the U.S. and Canada.

"Our product's tongue-in-cheek brand name in no way reflects the vigilant approach the company takes toward product integrity," the company said in a statement.

Maybe not quite as vigilant as they should have been. An unfortunate tie between the name of the product and the circumstance for sure.

In recent years, U.S. regulators have struggled to assure the safety of a wave of food imports from countries like Pakistan, China and India. In 2008, the FDA opened its first inspection offices in China after contaminated pet food, toothpaste and other products reached U.S. stores.

Yet it still continues to happen. IMO this could be solved if we just quit importing these things all together. It is a simple step and one that could potentially save lives if a country decides to deliberately poison some products. How many of these were sold before they did the recall? The scenario could have been vastly different if someone really wanted to do harm.

For those who think that we could never be poisoned on purpose by any of these countries, think again. America has many enemies and continues to make new ones. We need to quit supporting the imports with our wallets and leave them no other choice than to use their own lead based contaminates themselves.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 2/3/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/3/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Wow! What a marketing gimmick! Who wouldn't want to eat something called Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge? Especially when it's packaged in yellow caution tape wrappers as well!
I bet Mom's and Dad's all over the US are searching for more of that delicious candy! Wow! And here I was worried that I wasn't getting enough lead in my diet since all the peeled paint chips in my apartment are gone.
I think this is the REAL reason that Al Jazeera is being blocked out in the US. That way we can't see their crafty advertising and online ordering for this candy from Pakistan. Now I wonder what the REAL reason for the riots in Egypt is. Maybe the candy is just that good and the Egyptians want more!
edit on 3/2/2011 by withopeneyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I personally have never seen or heard of these, and I sure as heck wouldn't feel an urge to buy one upon seeing them. I did a quick search though, and thought I would add a pic to your thread here.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I'll stick with Hershey bars.......good ol' U.S.A.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Hey thanks for that! My browser kept locking up when I tried to upload the pic in the article.

I have never seen them here either.... I don't think I would have bought it anyway.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

The lead made them do it. Wait for the asbestos flavored camel jerkey.

I would not have bought this to begin with. But I do know candy makers market "disgusting" candy to children. It seems that if a candy (Gummy beetle with red "blood" inside. I have seen it.) can make mom gag then it is destined to be a best seller.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Gotta love out sourcing. The bottom line, damn the consequences.

They should just make a brown log candy and name it Poo. I'm sure it would be a hit.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Been there, done that!

www.bonappetit.com...

#1 Poop. This treat is a step up from the Pay-Day-bar-in-the-swimming-pool gag of "Caddyshack" fame, and it's the tastiest treat of the bunch. Three variations--candy-corn-filled, undigested peanut-y, and "classic"--will pit your eyes against your nose. $5 each (4 oz.); Crapola Chocolate Poop; chocolatefantasies.com

The outsourcing has really gotten out of hand. Our officials have a hard enough time making sure we don't poison ourselves, without entering international players into the game.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Ok. That's sick., candy corn and undigested peanuts...........ewwwww

Who would have thunk it?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I almost feel as if you were sitting on this article just waiting for someone to make the right comment for you to add it too. lol jk.

There are many more there that are quite disturbing. I won't name them all but I feel these two deserve a mention.

#3 Toilet. A welcome departure from gummy-based candies, these mini toys pair twin suckers (plungers) with flavored powder (bowl water) for a Fun-Dip-esque experience.

#2 Urine Sample. A visual joke lost on children, perhaps, but these cups are disturbingly close to the real thing. Seeing anyone gulp yellow liquid (supposedly lemonade-flavored) from one of these will result in a double- or spit-take.

Seriously though, there has to be some young minds who have taken some of these things the wrong way, and very easily could swallow something else, that they really shouldn't be swallowing, thinking it is candy.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Wait for the new and improved flavor release. Now made with real toxic sludge with less lead. Or Heavy water kool-aid!!! The possibilities are endless.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I worked a concession stand for years. Kids would gobble that up, it is sour apple flavored. In fact kids love that kind of stuff, in my experience.

That said it is a shame we are importing truly toxic candy while factories sit empty in my country and men and wo men are out of work.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

No. I was not "sitting" on an article about poo candy!
Nice play on words though.

The urine sample was one of my faves too. Luckily my daughter never liked that stuff. yuck. Maybe saved me from buying imported deadly delacasies!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I Agree! I think we could make our own toxic sludge candy bars without the lead and create a few more honest jobs while we were at it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

When I was a kid, one of my favorite treats was this bottle of green goo that had a big ol' radioactive symbol on it. It assured me that this goop was in fact nuclear waste, and if I ate enough of it, I might start glowing.

It tasted like pineapple.

I never did glow.

Seriously, this is nothing new. There's a whole market for "gross" candies and snacks out there - plastic noses that you pick candy "boogers" from, eyeball gumballs filled with red syrup, all sorts of crap like that. it appeals to 12 year old boys who have too much allowance and no concept of preserving their teeth

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
this is part of the case for isolation...to even pretend that any agency can accurately track EVERYTHING in products coming in to our food supply is unbelievably naive...America should overthrow the NWO, and cut off all ties with the outside world...splendid isolation always works in a nations favor...everything should be made here and grown here...as many people as there are, there will be jobs...we need to first end the fed, because as long as half of everything goes to private bankers, we can never progress...

top topics

join