It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's that time of year again!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

id be greatful if they at least did the washing up.

i note that my signature has been removed. mmmm wonder what part of the freedom to communicate that broke, or what terrorist threat it held? perhaps real people are just not allowed and in fact this message board is managed by evil people? i can see no other reason for removing my signature.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Then she can be asleep for it, either way...guy's gotta get paid...

You are advocating rape. You think that's funny???

I am EXTREMELY OFFENDED by this.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Whiffer Nippets

Geez.....relax...I'm talking about my wife (who says..."hey, knock yourself out")... It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley....

Guess you have to be married to get the joke, as apparently, this comes up often (especially on sit-coms)...

edit on 3-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

If they're married or in a long-term relationship (esp. w/kids), perhaps she'd RATHER be asleep.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

Nah, not much in it for her if asleep....so would prefer to be more active I'm sure.

From speaking with other couples (friends), the "knock yourself out" pre-agreement is pretty standard for both parties when it comes to this.

I just re-read my initial post, and I did mention she was my wife, so can't see where the "rape" idea came from. Obviously, even one's wife, girlfriend, etc. can say no, and that should be respected (some would even argue that, but to me, it should ALWAYS be consensual, regardless of relationship), but that's a far cry from what I'm talking about here, where the green light has been expressed previously.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's funny, cause I used to pretend to be asleep when my wife was in the mood.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

She claims she did it to me once, and I said, "more power to ya"..anytime. Of course, when half-asleep, I'm pretty forgetful.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Somehow I think this thread has strayed off into some other territory.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yep...so back to the NOMAAM boycott proposal....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yep the boycott is the best idea.

Everyone should consider it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Valentine's Day is a very important day with a very rich history. See for yourself...
history1900s.about.com/od/1920s/p/valentines.htm

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So raping your wife is OK?

That's a JOKE?

How about if it were your cell mate in prison? I mean - you're cell mates and all, right? And if he gives you a bag of chips or something - it would be OK for him to extract payment then, correct?

Sexual violence, or ANY violence, is NOT FUNNY.

Getting back to the topic at hand here - if you men don't want to do anything for Valentine's day - why don't you just NOT do it then?

Instead of whinging on about it, blaming women, and making rape jokes.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Whiffer Nippets because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Nobody made a rape joke.

If that is how it was perceived by you, then so be it, but I certainly didn't see it that way.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Really? I'm a woman, I wasn't offended in the least and this is BTS.

Please try to relax and view this thread in the light-hearted, quasi-serious, tongue-in-cheek, only slightly embittered tone in which it was offered.

Seriously, as if Al Bundy is a cult hero....maybe, for dejected shoe salesmen everywhere and that's it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
If a person needs more than 3 simple words to convince them, then nothing will ever convince them. Just walk away.

I Love You.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ah can't dew it Cap'n!

We jus Doo-nt have tha POWAR!

*Glances up at the 2 storage tanks and the high electrical tower*

He can't take any more pressure!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Look. I don't mean to be a jerk here and I don't wish to beat a dead horse, but certain things - if nothing else - come off as very crass.

Someone mentioned sitcoms and as another example - on the flip side if you will - I saw a "Family Guy" episode where - ah - if memory serves - Peter decided to be celibate or abstinent and Lois, basically, rapes him. Says something to him like "I wasn't asking."

VERY POOR TASTE.

I believe there was another episode where she did similar.

It's just - too much.

And then this whole thread starts out with the citation of a TV character who is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. I never watched that show much, I found it very very gross and something aimed at the lowest rung of society - but in any case - what I did see of it - I do not remember them stooping to the point of rape jokes.

It disturbs me also, from sincere concern over the OP as well as other readers here - that someone would feel this fictional character even bears citation. As if this is a person to be emulated.

Is that really how you wish to be perceived? I take it this way as the OP has used this character to make his own points.

What is further disturbing is that others seem to agree and would chime in with other - if not intentionally violent - crude jokes about their own families or spouses.

Is that how little regard you have for your own "loved ones"? It is very disturbing to me and causes me to lose faith in people in general.

Even words said as 'jokes' bear reflection. Continuous use of violent or even semi violent descriptors bears attention. That is not directed at anyone here, it is - just food for thought.

And violence aside - who wants to be thought of as crass? Not that you need to speak the Kings English - but do you REALLY want to come off like Al Bundy?

And do you live your lives this way? Have you no regard for the people who are supposed to be *the most important* people in your lives?

Do you have no regard for yourself?

Yeah, I know, I sound like a have a huge stick up my ass.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
So anyway.

I had to laugh. about a week ago, wife took the little kids and went shopping. They came home with tons of crap. She had apparently bought herself a new, um outfit for Valentine's night, but was so excited she put it on that night after the kids wen to bed! So much for surprises.

My costs are minimal. When we were newlyweds and broke I made a valentine's card by hand and dropped it off at her office. That's what she expects from me now.

Also, she prefers tulips But when I bring home any flowers, she isn't satisfied until she confirms that I bought them on sale. She is horrified that I might waste money on triple-priced flowers on V-Day.

I don't care about the trivial price of treats on V Day, since they pale beside the price of a reliable baby-sitter.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Ignoring some of the divergences in the body of your post, I want to address one aspect of it... That Al Bundy is not an appropriate male role model.

I happen to strongly disagree. Please allow me to tell you why.

When the comedic craft is stripped away from the Al Bundy character we are left with some very glaring truths.

1) Beneath it all, he loves his wife. He doesn't cheat on her.
2) He works hard, constantly, to provide for his family and does so in a manner which is so selfless that he is rarely left with anything for himself.
3) No matter what happens, he never leaves his family. No matter how frustrated or bizarre the situation, he is forever there, with them.
4) Ultimately he is always supportive of his family. He is protective of their best interests.
5) Many episodes of this show highlight the "my family is more important to me than...." aspect of Al Bundy. His family may in-squabble, but he never lets outsiders slight his family.

Satire is meant to make light of subject matter. Strip away the satire, and Al Bundy is one hell of a guy.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
...boo on valentines day junk... a card with chocolates, fancy clothes, flowers, jewelry, nite on the town doesnt impress me... a new set of tires on my truck would impress me, as long they were up to my high standards cuz i'm amazonian bitchy that way...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join