It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Army Prepared To Open Fire On Pro Mubarak Supporters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Egyptian Army Prepared To Open Fire On Pro Mubarak Supporters

www.bbc.co.uk

A BBC correspondent was interviewed on Radio 4's 'Today' show who had interviewed a retired Egyptian general. The general, who knew many of the soldiers in the main square, has said that he understands the army are now prepared to open fire on the pro-Mubarak supporters who have been shooting anti-government demonstrators.

The general also stated that he felt that, possibly as early as tomorrow, the Egyptian army will force Mubarak to stand down.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The interview was on Radio 4's 'Today show'. It has not yet appeared on the website. There is a 'listen again' facility on the link which will be available circa 2 hrs after the show goes off air. The show goes off air half an hour after time of posting. The interview itself can be heard about 2hrs 10 minutes into the show.

The Egyptian army has set a fantastic example. They have, in the present circumstances, clearly comprehended their function in their society. To protect and serve its people.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
They damn well better, they cost us an arm and a leg to fund equip and train!
The army is the big hope here.
It is obvious that they are going to have to take control of the streets soon if the pres doesnt step down.
It will be interesting to see if they hold true, or maybe there is an ambitious general or two no?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

The Egyptian army has set a fantastic example. They have, in the present circumstances, clearly comprehended their function in their society. To protect and serve its people.

I have to admit that I am pleased they haven't taken sides, and really hope they don't... I would prefer to see them as a blocking force than see them use violence.

It seems to me that the Egyptian people want to a complete change of system, and any interference against either side would be wrong in my opinion as I really think they need to work out what it is they want, rather than have it imposed on them by either side.

Tho I do support the Egyptian army using force to prevent either side turning into running gun battles...
edit on 3/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Yes. How they continue to conduct themselves is crucial. Its also demonstrating to TPTB around the globe that they can't rely on their militaries to suppress their own people.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

During that Radio 4 interview the general was aked if it would be a coup should the army force Mubarak to stand down. The response was that the army would simply shepherd in the new system whatever that may be. We'll see.

I think its a relief to see that all that 'just follow orders' training only goes so far with the military.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Yeah, well that depends on how the "military" plans to "spend" the American's tax monies (if any) --- on the generals' mansions or on military supplies and such. What deal would Egypt/ian people get if a new "leader" is installed?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The Egyptian Army is a conscript Army. They will see themselves as being civilians who unfortunately have to do their National Service NOT, I think, as professional Soldiers. That is what has stopped them dealing with the protestors who they will see as being just Egyptian people like themselves.
Interesting that "our" governments have done away with conscription and have instead opted for a smaller Professional Force which will protect them from the public if need be. They know they cannot depend on an Army of conscripts to go against the public in their own Country.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

During that Radio 4 interview the general was aked if it would be a coup should the army force Mubarak to stand down. The response was that the army would simply shepherd in the new system whatever that may be. We'll see.

I think its a relief to see that all that 'just follow orders' training only goes so far with the military.

what is happening.. i.e the Armies response to this, has been really eye opening, there is always that question, which way armies go in these situation, and the Egyptian armies response is certainly going to give a lot of leaders pause for thought.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by exroyalnavy
The Egyptian Army is a conscript Army. They will see themselves as being civilians who unfortunately have to do their National Service NOT, I think, as professional Soldiers. That is what has stopped them dealing with the protestors who they will see as being just Egyptian people like themselves.
Interesting that "our" governments have done away with conscription and have instead opted for a smaller Professional Force which will protect them from the public if need be. They know they cannot depend on an Army of conscripts to go against the public in their own Country.

I think exroyalnavy has a major point here. Nevertheless the members of our own military are people just like us too. They're trained that they are 'simply doing a job'. I don't think the job description includes the oppression of fellow citizens to the benefit of corrupt, elitist establishemnts.

If we still had conscription there would be no apathy among the people should the government decide it wants an overseas military adventure. Everyone would have a vested interest in stopping them from doing so.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I could not get the radio programme to work but here is another link that contains some of it i think

news.bbc.co.uk...

Very impressed with the Egyptian military here i just hope they keep the same pace and not have any plans of inserting their own leader

edit on 3-2-2011 by Vampiri because: typos

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
it was reported last night that the army had let pro mubarak supporters into the square with weapons. further to this is was also reported that the pro-m camp were shooting from a nearby bridge into the square. at the mo tanks are acting as a buffer in between the two groups. friday prayers and access to tahrir square mosque for both parties seems to have the potential for a flare up.
regards f

top topics

join