It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Funding to Help Computers Describe Images in Words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

DARPA Funding to Help Computers Describe Images in Words

education.tmcnet.com

Bruce Draper, an associate professor, and his team consisting of Ross Beveridge, a computer science professor, and Michael Kirby and Chris Peterson, professors in the Department of Mathematics at a Colarado State University, are expected to spend the next two years trying to teach computers to take pictures and describe those pictures in words.

The team received a $625,000 grant from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for this purpose.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
[X] Data Mining
[X] Trend Research
[X] Future Prediction
[X] 100% Monitoring of Data
[X] Data Interpretation
[X] Imagery Interpretation

Well, what else is there? Video interpretation? Dust the sand out of your hair and ears folks, hold on to your hats and prepare to get your socks knocked off. There is no doubt that whatever you do, has already been predicted, researched, and analyzed.

What's left of what we consider to be freedom?

education.tmcnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

It cracks me up that people in general, so it seems do not believe in the capability or possibities of Computers. The way I see it is it all gets down to numbers, once the numbers get big enough, all these things will happen.
I think a human brain can be matched in storage with only One Terabyte, may not match the processing.

Then if you look at things like Google, you ask the question, they look for ways to answer your questions, it's only a matter of time all of this will come togeather, the AI is born.

The Singuliarty is coming soon.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
"And on XXXXXX Date, SkyNet came alive"

Is it only a matter of time before "The Terminator" becomes not a movie, but a prediction?

I love computers and the availability of information they provide me; I am just wary about the control they now have of our lives..

No such thing as Cell Phones anymore, just pocket computers.. I own the Droid X and it is just a mini computer..

Computers in our cars, taverns, cafes.. Literally everywhere..

Question...

What do you think we are giving up by giving so much control to computers?

Semper

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Pure stup1d idea. An image can have a thousand meanings, like any thought can mean a thousand different things to anyone.

Stup1d idea, and where do these people get off.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

People said that about the idea of face recognition software, numberplate recognition and so on...
edit on 3-2-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

People said that about the idea of face recognition software, numberplate recognition and so on...
edit on 3-2-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

My life has proven that they cannot take one single sentence from a mind and interpret it.

The people have used electronic mind control techs on me since school, and they still cannot after 19 years work out any thought in my mind ever. they are always trying to second guess me and they always get it wrong.

My life has proven that any thought you may have as a you, cannot be interpreted by any other human. Any thought could have a thousands or more meanings, or mean nothing.

My life has proven these people do not know what they are doing, and the idea of things like precrime do not exist in reality, and so does getting words from pictures. How can a computer judge a picture, when everyone on earth could give it different meanings.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

ooooooooookay...

*backs away slowly*

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
"And on XXXXXX Date, SkyNet came alive"

Is it only a matter of time before "The Terminator" becomes not a movie, but a prediction?

I love computers and the availability of information they provide me; I am just wary about the control they now have of our lives..

No such thing as Cell Phones anymore, just pocket computers.. I own the Droid X and it is just a mini computer..

Computers in our cars, taverns, cafes.. Literally everywhere..

Question...

What do you think we are giving up by giving so much control to computers?

Semper

Personally, I think the most laughable part is that we humans have the hubris to believe that there is some tanglible barrier that we have to contemplate crossing. As if there were sone point that we would have to stop and rub our chins asking, "It's dangerous to go any further, we should hold a debate!."

As far as I'm concerned about the Singularity, it has already happened. I fully realize that computers and humans have become symbiotic. The slave has become part of the master. What is a slave driver without his slaves to harvest and plant the crops? We have already created the Singularity, why do you think everyone is so afraid about keeping infrastructure off the internet. It's the stereotype where the super-being is kept isolated, and eventually escapes only to turn on the master.

Even aside from that, are we really capable as a society to remove all computers? You're even using one right now.

Sorry, the future is written and we're just living out the dice rolls that lead up to the same end result.

As far as your specific question goes, Computers are even making decisions on what children CPS scoops up, and guess what? The creators envisioned it as a way to be fair and just in whom they take, and the end result was still more black kids than whites being scooped up. Significance? We're already giving up our children to the computer "GOD".

How many more instances of computers making decisions for humans does it take to say the slave has become the master? I could google it all day. I ramble, there's a lot of good info in my RATS Thread titled "You are not in control."

Read it and imagine a computer hooked into that data grid.

new topics

top topics

join