It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK bans IPOD in certain offices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The UK's Ministry of Defence has banned Apple iPod music player as a security risk, Reuters reports. It thinks the high-capacity devices could be used to steal sensitive data. The digital music player is a number of devices the MoD will no longer allow into its offices in the UK or abroad.

www.theregister.co.uk...

There was also a snippet about this on FOX news.

So, the MoD has banned the IPOD. Seems they think that sensitive info can be downloaded to it from a computer? It is possible to download files other than music to the IPOD? Are any of you from the UK are affected by this?

*edit to change title

[edit on 7/13/2004 by Trojanex]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Bunch'a BS if you ask me.....

ALthough they should have good reasons for banning it....

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
i have an ipod, and you can put files on it like a portable harddrive in addition to music files.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Playgrounddiary
i have an ipod, and you can put files on it like a portable harddrive in addition to music files.

Seems like a good idea to ban them then. Esp. since someone can seemingly get their hands on some sensitive info. I can't help but wonder if there was a problem (secrets, etc. already being stolen) that caused this ban to come about.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It is a very valid point. Many offices who deal with sensitive data don't even have a floppy drive to avoid theft, this is an extension of that.

Luckily, my bosses are too dumb to think of this, and the data isn't sensitive, I can get away with having mine on the desk.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Can anyone remember when the US and UK were scared that Sadam would get hold of PS2s!!

They said the PS2s are powerful enough to guide missles and that makes Sadam a threat! HAHAha!!

top topics

join